New character build

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New character build
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #0
After playing all the Geneforge series as a shaper, lifecrafter, and shocktrooper, I am thinking of playing G4 again, this time as a servile. I had heard that a huge QA and Parry boost at the beginning worked wonders for melee Guardians in the first few games (especially G2), but I believe that it doesn't help as much anymore. What do you guys think should be the first place I put skill points as a melee/mental servile? (Other than melee and mental magic, haha.)

--------------------
"What direction, what direction now?"
----
My poetry
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
It depends what you want to do as your primary attack. A servile can be played as a weapons character like a guardian or as a battle magic character similar to an agent/infiltrator.

I found that most of my points at the start actually went to mechanics and leaderships so I could get the free experience from doing quests and looting around Southforge Citadel. A few points to missle weapons and/or battle magic makes it possible to use those unsellable javelins for attacks or to beef up that attack from bolt of fire. Daze from mental magic is what you use to give you time to pick off the swarms.

There really isn't a wrong way to go with a servile since you can even use him as a poor lifecrafter that is always short of essence.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #2
Having a ten in mechanics and leadership is always good. Beyond that, I'd say that endurance, spellcraft, strength, quick action, and parry would be worth investing in.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #3
Consider not putting in as much strength and quick action and more intelligence and dexterity if you go with a Battle/mental magic servile.

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
=:T:=
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #4
He described his desired build as a "Melee/Mental Magic Servile". That's basically a Servile who fights with his swords and uses magic as a support. Early on, Daze is very helpful and one of the best spells there are. *Nod*

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #5
He could change his mind. Both have their advantages. Combat does medium damage to everything if at a good level, and magic can do high or low damage depending on the spell and if magic is at a good level. Spells and missiles can run out of energy/ammo, while melee can't. But spell energy can be restored in combat, whereas ammo can't. Also spells are attributed different properties, meaning there is a chance that the spell has a chance of doing either really high damage, or really low damage (this is especially true at high level magic), whereas combat would do a similar amount of damage the whole time (excluding a few boss encounters where the resistances change).

[ Saturday, December 08, 2007 18:31: Message edited by: The Ratt ]

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #6
Hm... That's a good thought. I was planning not to put much into battle magic, but it will become pretty handy eventually. Especially essence orbs for the multiple attacks.

Daze is certainly very cool. I never really used it much until my last G2 character, who found that Strong Daze would guarantee victory in almost any situation. Combine that with an Eyebeast or two, and they'll never wake up. :D

For now, I think I'll stick with javelins for my main attack. After all, they are the stereotypical servile weaponry.

Now, the real dilemma... loyalist or rebel? Perhaps I should balance the two, and go for world peace? We shall see.

Learned Tal thanks you for the advice. :P

[ Saturday, December 08, 2007 19:47: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
----
My poetry
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #7
Also wingbolts have a low resistance to ice. Remember that and it may save your life.

--------------------
I make guacamole at work
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
That's what icy crystals are for (killing wingbolts) and they give great damage with some missle skills. For most of the Forsaken Lands you can get by with just unsellable javelins while you wait for a decent melee weapon and build up your character. Besides you want a good range attack for speeding up the rate of killing.
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

After playing all the Geneforge series as a shaper, lifecrafter, and shocktrooper, I am thinking of playing G4 again, this time as a servile. I had heard that a huge QA and Parry boost at the beginning worked wonders for melee Guardians in the first few games (especially G2), but I believe that it doesn't help as much anymore. What do you guys think should be the first place I put skill points as a melee/mental servile? (Other than melee and mental magic, haha.)
You might as well just play an infiltrator which is magic heavy and melee medium, because you'll end up ahead.

As to your build, I wouldn't bother parry, as it's been useless ever since GF3. The chance to parry is slim, and the damage reduction is laughable. If you want to stand up to more damage, sink points into endurance.

As I learnt the hard way, missile skills are useless in GF4. Why? Well:

- The alteration to the move and attack mechanics means that any melee monster can just walk up to you and smack you in the first round of combat. So you might as well just engage in hand to hand combat.

- Submission batons and null wands have been nerfed, because stun doesn't do diddly.

- Even a servile will do more ranged damage with their spells than with batons/wands.

- If you want to do physical damage, run up and hit them with your sword. Note that swords can get enhancements that missiles can't, such as curse and slow.

- Crystals only remain effective if you invest heavily in missile and dexterity. So essentially, you're making a huge investment in order to use crystals. Is it worth it? Not from my experience.

--------------------
"I am Barzhal, and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the products of his own essence?

No, says the servile in Medab. It belongs to the oppressed.
No, says the Shaper in Terrestia. It belongs to the Shaper Council.
No, says the Trakovite in hiding. It belongs to no-one.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Ascension."
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #10
As a Servile, you probably want to sink some points into blessing magic so you can get essence amour. I would get Parry to at least 8 because it's only like a 6 skill point investment. You want to pick either fire or magic shaping to get some ranged support.

And crystals are definitely worth it in many instances because they only use 3AP. In conclusion, you should:

-Get mental magic up to daze people
-Get blessing magic up to buff yourself
-Invest a point or two in magic or fire shaping and let the items take care of the rest
-Invest a bit in dexterity and missile weapons (14 skill points would get you 2 levels of dexterity and 4 of missile weapons)
-Put a little in parry and a lot in quick action
-Get strength up high so you can wear heavy armor (although its not that big of a deal if you have the talisman of might)
-In the end you want to get melee weapons up to like 10 and maybe get a bonus from Legs of the Tyrant

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981
I stay warm the same way a walrus stays warm.

Stacy's Mom
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Don't invest in creation shaping magic. By the end when you need some support you can get 7 with items in all 3 shaping classes and you don't need the items after you created your creations.
Apprentice
Member # 12516
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

It depends what you want to do as your primary attack. A servile can be played as a weapons character like a guardian or as a battle magic character similar to an agent/infiltrator.

Well to me if you want a battle magic character similar to agent/infiltrator why not play one? Use all your advantages I say.

EDIT: Didn't read the one post that sorta mentioned this. lol

[ Wednesday, December 12, 2007 17:01: Message edited by: Janitorial Closet ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Software Games I have- BoA
Spiderweb Software Game I'm currently playing- G3/4 Demos
Current non Spidweb game I'm currently playing- Dragon Quest Monsters

Because you care about this. XD
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

Now, the real dilemma... loyalist or rebel? Perhaps I should balance the two, and go for world peace? We shall see.
Min-maxing megalomaniac..nuff' said..

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #14
Magic is specialized. Some monsters will be damaged more by one type then another. Fire creations for example will die quicker with mental damage spells and Kill while Magic creations will barely be effected by the above examples.
Apprentice
Member # 11988
Profile #15
Have aleast 1 or 2 points in fire shaping..
It does come in handy

--------------------
Hohoho....For that fact that Geneforge 5 is coming
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #16
Hmmm well for Servile i would recommend,

-pump up melee, missle is worthless as LT proved.
-Get battle magic, ice spray is your friend, when your trying to reach the safehouse you dont need any melee fighting, just pump em full of ice.
-buy a few levels of spellcraft, but you can't really invest in it because it gets so expensive so fast.
-after getting 7 or 8 in magic you don't need any more levels to win, sure battle roar is a nice pick-me-up but isn't worth it from what iv seen, unlock will save you so much living tools
-don't waste your time leveling up shaping, if you want to shape get shapemaster boots and flameweaver greaves.
-You don't need alot of QA to get double strikes, 9 or 10 will suffice, and considering what awesome artifacts and items you get, doesn't take too long.
-get only a couple of levels of strength, for the rest that you would typically need, get talisman of might, saves you a lot of points. Endurance is what you should stock up on, get some levels of intelligence also.

For infiltrator:
-buy mental and blessing magic only to 9, then focus on battle magic and spellcraft.
-buy a bit of melee and QA, it will come in handy
-get intelligence and endurance, those are what you will really need later on, nothing like a 700 hp infiltrator that does 400 dm in one hit.

and for general, get 10 mechanics and leadership, it will go a long way.
Hope i helped.

--------------------
Life's important Questions:
What is the best Artifact
Gloves of Savagery
Is there a more uber sword that the Puresteel Soulblade: No
Vie va la Travokites
Vie va la Kyryk
Vie va la Serviles
Vie va la Drayks
Your incompidence is your own fault
Before you complain, ask yourself, does anyone care? The answer, of course is No.
My life for Auir!
MOOSE
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Artila Master:

Have aleast 1 or 2 points in fire shaping..
It does come in handy

The Servile starts with one point in fire and battle shaping. Add the volcanic fetish and flameweaver greaves (perhaps the shapemaster boots too) and you're set for fire shaping. I haven't used any creations yet (I just healed Moseh) but I'm thinking a couple drayks or kyshakks will come in handy later.

--------------------
----
My poetry
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #18
It really sucks, in order for you to go shaping, you cant shape drayks or drakons, because you need canisters to do, also you cant make any advanced creations because you can only be trained twice, sucks doesn't it?

--------------------
Life's important Questions:
What is the best Artifact
Gloves of Savagery
Vie va la Travokites
Vie va la Kyryk
Vie va la Serviles
Vie va la Drayks
Before you complain, ask yourself, does anyone care? The answer, of course is No.
My life for Auir!
Do you hate it when your password is changed by your brother?
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #19
Yeah, although my current character is Canister-Happy. I figured that as a rogue servile warped by the Geneforge, a few canister won't make my life much worse. Besides, I plan to take the Trakovite ending. Until then, I base my decisions on my servile conscience. ;)

--------------------
----
My poetry
Apprentice
Member # 12639
Profile #20
Ah, but what, exactly, does your canister-warped consince dictate?

--------------------
Why only have World War 3 when you can have SO MUCH MORE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!It's so easy when your EVIL!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by MOOSE I TELL U:

quote:
It really sucks, in order for you to go shaping, you cant shape drayks or drakons, because you need canisters to do, also you cant make any advanced creations because you can only be trained twice, sucks doesn't it?
You can use a few canisters without negative effect--four freebies before you start getting angry, Dikiyoba thinks--so if you know what creation you want to make you can grab the canister(s) you need.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #22
Four? Oops. Well that only leaves 1 extra upgraded version for a creation if your intrested in making the best creation in the game, Ur-Drakons and sometimes unbound. Wait a minute, how many non-ability stat canisters? And how do you put links in your signature and not have to write out the whole entire bloody link?

[ Tuesday, December 18, 2007 16:05: Message edited by: Omnikenetic Blade ]

--------------------
Vie va la Travokites
Vie va la Kyryk
Vie va la Serviles
Vie va la Drayks
My life for Auir!
Do you hate it when your password is changed by your brother?
Touch of Bambi hits the spot, what what?
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #23
All canisters count towards the same total.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by pitchblack:

Ah, but what, exactly, does your canister-warped consince dictate?
Ethical powergaming. :P

--------------------
Learned Tal reminds you to let your conscience be your guide.
----
My poetry

Pages