Things you would like to see in Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Things you would like to see in Geneforge 5
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #50
Ah, about the loot, will be like in GF3 visibile the items value? When playing GF2 it was terrible don't know what to loot and what to don't.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I should stop asking questions about GF4 in this thread. I already put this in the right one.

[ Sunday, November 19, 2006 12:32: Message edited by: Grammatical Eros ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Apprentice
Member # 7678
Profile #51
I would love to ability to write in my journal. I like to leave little notes to myself to remember which areas I want to return to, where stores are, ect. Its a huge pain in the ass, doing alt-tab to get my word file open everytime I want to remember something.

CANT WAIT FOR 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and....100 hehe.

MM
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #52
I'd like more different ways to steal items. Higher dexterity could help you not be seen taking a "not yours" item in front of everyone. Friendly/neutral characters could carry items and you could control-click on them to try to pickpocket them - again, higher dexterity makes you have a greater chance of not being seen.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #53
Perhaps not just Dexterity. That seems almost useful enough to warrant its own skill...

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
Geneforge is moving forwards, not backwards! Yes, values are still visible.

—Alorael, who doesn't particularly want to see thieving become a complicated system. Geneforge isn't about stealing and really shouldn't be. Besides, equipping all those NPCs with stuff to steal would waste more of Jeff's time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #55
It would need a decent name, though. Thievery? Nimbleness? Inconspicuousness? :P

EDIT: This is in response to Cirion.

[ Sunday, November 19, 2006 13:09: Message edited by: Sliver of Air ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #56
I don't know... It seemed to me as though the possibility of theft was something that rather tied in with the morally contradictory nature of the game. It's not nice to take things from farmers, but if you use it to save the serviles... But if you are careful, there are rarely consequences. Creating a skill would give incentive to take the risk, and perhaps pay for it. It wouldn't have to be a prominent aspect, just an option.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Cirion Actaeon:

Creating a skill would give incentive to take the risk, and perhaps pay for it.
And by "take the risk, and perhaps pay for it" you mean "save before stealing, then reload if you get caught".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #58
Certainly, but individuals who adopt such practices are not looking for realism, but simply want to fool the game. Perhaps, if you wanted to prevent that, you could create a point at which people start asking questions. "You know, Bob, it seems like every time that man comes into my shop, my safe goes missing." "That's odd, the same thing happens to me..." Similar to being seen, but not so severe.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #59
-X-'s post is severely late, but nevertheless-

Batons have brains at least enough to stimulate a reflex that forces the rapid exit of a thorn through the barrel of the baton. That is not a conscious action, and as such, cannot be controlled by a mind-control spell.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #60
Bringing that subject back up:
Batons don't have to have brains to shoot thorns. It could be just a reflexive motion. So basically You just squeeze a certian spot which makes them react by putting tension on the muscles that shoot the thorns.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #61
quote:
Originally written by Cirion Actaeon:

Certainly, but individuals who adopt such practices are not looking for realism, but simply want to fool the game. Perhaps, if you wanted to prevent that, you could create a point at which people start asking questions. "You know, Bob, it seems like every time that man comes into my shop, my safe goes missing." "That's odd, the same thing happens to me..." Similar to being seen, but not so severe.
Since your actions are spread around faster than gossip it would be possible for all the merchants to start charging you more for items and pay less to buy them to cover theft. It would rapidly make stealing only useful for items needed to be equipped or used in combat.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #62
What Thuryl said.

The later Wizardry games had nice names for skills like that. Legerdemain referred to stealing stuff, while there was Skulduggery for picking locks, and so on.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #63
Sadly, the "Save-and-Reload" spoil some realism of the game... But I like it: it's nicee to see the consequence of every choice, and try again many time as you wish.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #64
The amount of realism added and the number of people who would take advantage of theft doesn't justify the time and effort needed to set up and balance the system. How many areas would you give up in order to pick pockets?

—Alorael, who has never really liked theft systems in games. There are always a few items that you are practically obligated to steal, but there's no indication of when or where. The responses never seem quite right. Besides, as an upstanding member of the heavily canister using community, you shouldn't pick pockets. You should blow people up and sift through the rubble for loot.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #65
True, but they have to have something resembling a central core that allows them to live and grow in a certain way. Otherwise, they would be a misshapen blob of flesh.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

True, but they have to have something resembling a central core that allows them to live and grow in a certain way. Otherwise, they would be a misshapen blob of flesh.
Growth and development are not directed by the brain.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #67
There are very few items that are unique in the game that are worth stealing unless you are short of money or essence pods.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #68
No, but a baton is organic matter. It is either an animal, and has a brain in order to control breathing, at least, or it is a plant. It is not a plant, because plants cannot "squeak", are fully self-sufficient, and do not die purely because of time.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #69
But not all animals have brains. Jellyfish don't have brains, for instance. Baton creatures are likely simple invertebrate animals.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #70
I don't know if batons are invertabrates. They definitely have an exoskelton and are easily breakable,
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #71
How would having an exoskeleton not make them invertebrates?

Here's part of the text when you first come across batons in G1:

quote:
They are a mix of living and inert matter, plants with a touch of animal around a frame of metal, capable of firing a small, sharp projectile at high velocity.
Dikiyoba still thinks it's probable that the "touch" of animal that was blended with the plant was a simple invertebrate one.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #72
What simple animal can squeak? That requires lungs, or at least some kind of internal air pocket. Granted, launching projectiles probably requires some kind of large "exhalation," but it's not so simple.

On the other hand, you could have a squeaky plant with no animal at all. Squeeze the air bladder and it rushes through the tube to hurl out thorny death.

—Alorael, who concludes that batons are people too. You shouldn't kill them. You should love and cherish them, and you should never, ever sell them to a shifty servile merchant.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #73
You should keep every baton you find, and carry them in your backpack to keep them safe. Actually, for safety you should keep each baton in your quickslot until it is unloaded, then store it in your backpack, far from its ammunition.

You should keep all batons of the same kind in adjacent slots, so you don't risk splitting up a family. Do not put the Submission batons next to lesser types, because they can be domineering. And all the other batons are afraid of the Reapers. They are scarey sons-of-bushes.

Note that thorn batons are apt to patronize living tools and spore batons. You should train yours out of this antisocial behavior, by putting the offenders in the lower left corner until they apologize.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages