A5 world

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A5 world
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #0
Look at this!

IMAGE(http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/images/Avernum5WorldMap.jpg)
Its totally unfamilliar to me!

There aren't any old towns and those towns aren't there in previous Avernums.

Is A5 world totally different from previous Avernums?

Are there any old towns like formello,silvar,almaria,castle,blosk,dharmon and rest?

It would be a lot harder to find your way trought totally new caves and towns.
I really hope that not everything is different.I would really miss tower of magi if its gone.I didn't expect new world.

Thing I like is that you have to explore a section to be revealed on map.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #1
Nobody expects the New World™!

The first rule of Avernum 5 Club is never talk about Avernum 5 Club.

There is at least one true irony in your post, which we will be apparent when you play the game, and the first rule of Avernum 5 Club is dissolved. Bring your Bandaids™.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #2
Not all of these lands are unknown. The Northern Isles and below were present in Exile I and II. Harston is a town in Exile II.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
The ruins of Harston, no longer a town, are in Avernum 4. It is reasonable to suppose that New Harston is a new version of Harston. Just where it is, though, you'll have to wait to discover.

As Jeff indicated months ago, A5 is set in Avernum, but in a previously unexplored set of caves.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
You can't see it on the map, but there are several old places from the previous games. They just hate you because you are Empire and have a pointed way of expressing it.

Jeff found that the easiest way to deal with the world is so small now, was to place you in areas where you have no expectations about how big they should be. It's still a small world after all.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Agreement with Randomizer! Distances don't seem funny when you aren't travelling between towns that used to seem like they were miles and miles apart. Map sections feel much larger now than they did in A4 even though they're obviously the same number of tiles.

—Alorael, who thinks he'd be as sick of visiting old parts of Avernum as Jeff is of designing them. New terrain is a good thing, especially when some of it is as nifty as A5's.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #6
I'm now addicted to A5 before I even play it.
If I don't get it soon...

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
loltehstupdtextspekislikubardumlol
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
The Howling Depths section sounds cool. And so does the gremlin party.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
The gremlins really know how to throw a party. Too bad we're the entertainment.

Jeff created some great new sections for Avernum. He finally explains the ecology of the eyebeast.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

The ruins of Harston, no longer a town, are in Avernum 4. It is reasonable to suppose that New Harston is a new version of Harston. Just where it is, though, you'll have to wait to discover.

As Jeff indicated months ago, A5 is set in Avernum, but in a previously unexplored set of caves.

Oh I see. I thought it was the same Harston from A4. But the adjacent caves didn't seem to fit that picture.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 8558
Profile #10
how many years after A4 does A5 takes part?
Apprentice
Member # 11267
Profile #11
Actually, it takes place sometime between avernum 1-4, most likely by the sounds of it, between abernum 2 and 3. I am most interested in the anama lands, as this seems to mean that the anama have returned. Ought to be interesting...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #12
Why would you assume it is between 2 and 3? That makes no logical sense. It has to be after A4.
Jeff said something like "Erika and Rentar are gone".

So why did you think that?

--------------------
I like this image
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #13
Nalyd likes the Shankers Tower.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #14
How do you know, are you betatesting?

--------------------
I like this image
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Apprentice
Member # 11267
Profile #15
Until it's released, no one knows for sure. I am jsut going by the info on the main website,

Taken from the main website:

The villain fled somewhere into Avernum, an underworld nation of eccentrics, misfits, and barely civilized monsters, most of whom hate the Empire. And that is where you are going. You must find Dorikas, while dealing with spies, betrayal, and assassins at every turn.

The enemy is waiting for you. You will only survive his attention with the help of these strange cave dwellers. If, of course, they don’t kill you first

Now this woudl seem to indicate that the avernites haven't gotten to the surface world yet due to the attitude of hatred, which was a lot less severe in avernum 4. As for Rentar and Ihrno being gone, it could occur before Erika was sent down, or she oculd be missing for some random reason...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
From the website:

The surface world is ruled by the Empire. Its power is absolute. Its control is unchallenged. And, as a soldier of the Empire, you have a good, comfortable life ahead of you. But then a rebel named Dorikas tried to assassinate the Empress, and everything went wrong for you.

The villain fled somewhere into Avernum, an underworld nation of eccentrics, misfits, and barely civilized monsters, most of whom hate the Empire. And that is where you are going. You must find Dorikas, while dealing with spies, betrayal, and assassins at every turn.

The enemy is waiting for you. You will only survive his attention with the help of these strange cave dwellers. If, of course, they don’t kill you first

Prazac is empress only after A2, and there was no assassination attempt by Dorikas mentioned in A3 or A4. In fact, in A4 Dorikas was still an unknown, and his introduction is one of the game's major plotlines.

quote:
Originally written by sthehill
Now this woudl seem to indicate that the avernites haven't gotten to the surface world yet due to the attitude of hatred, which was a lot less severe in avernum 4. As for Rentar and Ihrno being gone, it could occur before Erika was sent down, or she oculd be missing for some random reason...

Erika was sent down long before A1, and Jeff's insistence that Rentar is dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead means that she is, in fact, dead as of A5. Avernum isn't quite as surface-phobic as it used to be, but the Empire's soldiers are most definitely not beloved.

—Alorael, who will just go ahead and give a minor spoiler. A5 does, in fact, take place after A4. If that wasn't made explicit by Jeff in other posts, it wasn't for lack of trying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #17
I thought that the fact that you are tracking down the "villain" (Dorikas I assumed because he got away in A4) made it clear that this was in chronological order with the other Avernum games. But that's just me. :P

--------------------
Rahhar...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
If you need to understand the Loathing in Avernites minds for the Empire soldiers, just remember that they were treated poorly by the Empire for many years. Some were born in Avernum and were spoon fed prejudices by their parents. Parents that had been cast into the Abyss by the cruel and unforgiving Emperor. Having been accepted back onto the surface in A3, most Avernites that wanted to relocate, have done so. Those that continue to live in the underworld do so because they either prefer it, see profit in it, or have deep-seated hatred for the surface world and its Empire.

The fact that in A4 there was a surface dweller that messed around with the underworld was heinous enough, and was dealt with appropriately by the underworld. He was banished back to the surface.

Well, now the Empire is trying to find this fellow, and is sending troops. You. Because the Avernites can't do a decent job and are basically incompetent. So yeah, it is no wonder that the folks that remain in Avernum would be inclined to distrust or outright hate any Empire official that dropped in for high tea. ;)

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Apprentice
Member # 10304
Profile #19
So like... This is probably going to be an OT, but what the hell :D

Is there someone on these boards connected somehow with JV who could unveil a bit more precise release date for A5 than "we should have it done by november"? I'm waiting for it, and with each passing day I get more and more nervous and anxious ;>
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
There's no one with a particularly close connection to Jeff here. Beta testers have a better idea, but we're also not allowed to say anything. Sorry!

—Alorael, who will blame invisble gremlins and chittery GIFTS for any and all delays that may or may not occur and that will or will not have retroactively occurred by two days ago as of next Wednesday.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
Jeff gave the beta testers a date, but then Leopard occured. If you've read the fuss over the graphics in A4 and GF4 using Leopard (the new Mac OS X), then you'll understand that there is no longer any certainty on when it will be done. We won't know until Jeff issues an update.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
Ahonaria... oh my god. Drakey must be peeing himself.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #23
I just hope that the release date doesn't get pushed back like it means nothing. I do understand the need to work out the bugs, but I really hope that here is no wait like with the last Zelda game. That really killed me.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
Jeff is very eager to get this game out the door. Rest assured that it will do so at the soonest possible moment, and that moment should not be very far off. Though I could mean on a geologic time scale.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt

Pages