Quick Avernum 5 Update, March '07

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Quick Avernum 5 Update, March '07
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"v. Wait, what was the difference again?"

The two main changes:

i. When you try to attack with low skill points, your turn doesn't end. You attack.

ii. It is now much easier to use items (like potions and scrolls) and attack in the same turn.

- Jeff Vogel

Whoops! In my pre-coffee morning daze I had read "action point" as "skill point". Having now been set straight, my verdict on this change is: groovy.

EDIT: And having read the rest of the thread I see it did say "skill point" at the time I read it! You're a tricky one, Jeff! :P

[ Monday, March 19, 2007 18:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Delicious Vlish:

quote:
Anamana... Doo doo do doo doo... Doot doo de doo
You're terrible.

Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
Oh, Rentar! Say it isn't so! Who could ever fill the void left in my heart?
Barzahl. :P

Edit 4: Dikiyoba really should use the preview post more often.

I have used my Vlish powers for evil. You are hearing that song right now aren't you?

Doo doo doo do de doo

Anamana!

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #27
I would like to request that Cheeseball or at least Cheeseball ll make an appearance. The cat was more interesting than dusty old Solberg any how.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
The Anama will be the new threat. The scourge of Bigail has ravaged the entire surface continent and has become so pervasive that now it has leaked like so much toxic waste down through the cracks to infect the already blighted underworld. Crusades. Holy Roamin' Emperors. Inquisistions. A new Dark Age. Fear! Fire! Foes! The Anama must be stopped...whatever it takes. Avernum and the Empire and GIFTS everywhere align for the love of God...or rather, for the pruning of it.

This stuff writes itself.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Oh, Rentar! Say it isn't so! Who could ever fill the void left in my heart?
Psh, you're not Drakey, no matter how hard you try.
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Barzahl could fill another void as well.
Andraste is my hero!!

Uh, as for the actual topic of the thread, I have little to add other than that this all sounds pretty good. I'll have to see the results, but I am happy with the pre-pre-pre-pre-release buzz.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

The Anama will be the new threat. The scourge of Bigail has ravaged the entire surface continent and has become so pervasive that now it has leaked like so much toxic waste down through the cracks to infect the already blighted underworld. Crusades. Holy Roamin' Emperors. Inquisistions. A new Dark Age. Fear! Fire! Foes! The Anama must be stopped...whatever it takes. Avernum and the Empire and GIFTS everywhere align for the love of God...or rather, for the pruning of it.

This stuff writes itself.

-S-

They will not. It has not. You should not expect any of the above. They need not be. They should not. It does not.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
This all sounds great, but I'm particularly excited to hear:

quote:

ii. There is now a system of battle disciplines. People with high combat skills will be able to use special abilities. Some of them are cool enough that some mages will be tempted to train in pole weapons.
This is exactly what the character engine needed after A4. A4 was reasonably well balanced, but character progression was not terribly interesting. I'm not sure what exactly "battle disciplines" means -- whether it refers to the special abilities themselves, or -- be still my beating heart -- an open-ended, divergent specialization system like the one used in SAngband.

Hopefully this also means the character skills will be more differentiated. We don't need multiple sets of skills that do almost exactly the same thing (Spellcraft/Magery, and so on) and we don't need skills that are almost impossible to train in *and* are less useful than other skills (Anatomy, Lethal Blow, Riposte, and don't even talk to me about Magical Efficiency and Blademaster).

I do note that nothing has been written about more variety among the spells. That makes me sad, but you can't have everything.

Edit: Oh yeah. Solberg having a bigger role is interesting. He's already the only major character to appear in every game. Hopefully, he will also have something interesting to say -- he hasn't really done that since 1996.

[ Tuesday, March 20, 2007 05:03: Message edited by: 227 Chitrachballons ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8073
Profile #32
I definitely think a religious war perpetrated by the Anama is the way to go. Jeff certainly seems to be into capturing present day political issues. What is more current than religous war?

Of course in my opinion, this would perhaps need a substantial redesign of priest spells. In addition to Martyr's Shield, it might necessitate a spell Martyr's Sword™. Martyr's Sword™ could damage both the caster and his enemies.

I could also see the dramatic return of Quickfire. Maybe Quickfire is the Martyr's Sword™. Quickfire could become a mid-level priest spell that could only be cast so it formed around the caster, thus likely resulting in death.

Repent Infidels?

Akbar Anama?

On second though, maybe this is too close to current events for Jeff's taste.

--------------
Second Lt. to the Supreme Lord of the Noobs
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #33
Actually, the new highest priest spell will be Martyr's Terror. You horrify and appall your foes until they flee, weeping, but in exchanged your forced into the Path of Postmodernism. Oh, and probably banned, too.

—Alorael, who is quite sure that Solberg is old enough that he's now 90% magical replacement parts, as he informs you in A4. He also deserves better than to be shunted off to somewhere that isn't the center of events. He needs to go set some Anama missionaries on fire!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
quote:

Rentar-Ihrno is still dead.
Hallelujah, praise the Lord!

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #35
What about vanhatai PCs,I STILL thinking than they can be useful.By the way,I hope than still using the Genevernum style(I borrowed your word Dark Mage!)because one of the most useful stuff is than you can use in that engine are the in-game cheats(I hope than is'nt illegal speak about cheats here).What about crafting,it is very useful,the item-making of A4 is like the one in G2(you gave to the crafter the materials and he makes the item),that is not eficient,I was thinking too in the ``combination´´ of items(like Resident Evil and other games),it is like crafting but you don't need an enchanted anvil,you only need the recipe and the components.

[ Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:27: Message edited by: Blake81 ]

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #36
It would be nice to get extra perks from having higher skills. Like if you had 6 dexterity and 8 melee you could wield a dagger instead of a shield, if you had 8 dexterity and 12 melee, you could wield a shortsword instead of a shield. If you had something like 6 dexterity and 8 throwing weapon, the AP cost of throwing weapons is reduced by 1, if you had 6 strength and 8 throwing weapon, you do extra damage if your target is close to you.

I would also like to see some of the minor mysteries expanded upon like the giant lizard statues with the Bloodthirst Spear near Khoth's lair, the Vahnatai with the Jade Halberd near the surface exit, the Slith with the Obsidian Spear in the spore tunnels, and the Cthulhu-esque Bug shrine.

[ Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:47: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #37
Battle Disciplines <==> Feats à la d20?

:D

--------------------
Run, run, run, run away from my psychotic teammate!
- Elan (OotS #125)
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #38
Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day, Alorael.

You forgot to add that the Martyr's Terror spell also has unspeakably unfortunate effects upon the victim's mother at the same time.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #39
Oh, that talk of cheats reminds me: any word on whether we will have a character editor? The cheats are fine, I guess, but the char editor was useful in various situations.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #40
Oh, yes the cheats were relatively useless compared to the Character Editor and the Geneforge version, though the one that shows you all the units on the minimap is invaluable.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #41
After that slip about using skill points in combat, I thought of a way to do it. Unused skill points can be expended in combat to give an extra action. Now you would have to decide with saving them for a more powerful character or burn them to do more things in a major fight. This would keep some characters at a lower level.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Auctioneer par non:

He needs to go set some Anama missionaries on fire!
I got the most delightfully evil giggle after reading that.

But on topic, this looks wonderfull!! Boats boats boats!
Oh and rentar is dead and gone
(if he shows up at the next RW cult meeting l'll just pretend I cant see him.)

[ Tuesday, March 20, 2007 22:35: Message edited by: Hawk King ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #43
Quick qustion.

Just how long does it take to make an Avernum game?

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #44
It depends on how much is changed in the game engine, how many new graphics are made, and how long Jeff spends thinking about the plot. He is currently working on the new game engine and doing the Celtic half of Nethergate:Resurrection.

Figure about 6 months for the game and 2 months for testing. He does need some time off for rest and recreation.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #45
Yay. Everything sounds so, so promising. Especially the hills... :)

And I'm with Eph - fingers crossed that the surface makes some sort of appearance.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 8176
Profile #46
quote:
Originaly written by Kelandon:
Oh, that talk of cheats reminds me: any word on whether we will have a character editor? The cheats are fine, I guess, but the char editor was useful in various situations.
You re right,the editor is a very useful tool but,in A4 you use ``leetbuffz´´and your party is fully blessed,hasted,shielded,etc.You can't do that with the Editor(I speak of the A4 editor).Is good than I would be able of speak about cheats here,because I know troubles they have and how to fix them and a lot of sites were you can found them.

[ Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:12: Message edited by: Blake81 ]

--------------------
The revenge is only a wild way of justice.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #47
See, with the Editor, you didn't need any cheats. You were just completely invincible. If you're going to cheat, go all the way.

A4 didn't have an Editor in the sense that the last games did. It did have that rudimentary one that someone(Hawk King?) made.

Nalyd usually runs a single maxed out party, with the rest being a good variety.

[ Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:42: Message edited by: Nalyd The Dead ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #48
So Jeff, how much will Avernum 5 cost?
I will start saving/earning money right now!

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #49
What cheatcodes will be in this one Jeff?

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link

Pages