Perfect shield

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Perfect shield
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #0
can anybody say what is a perfect shield and where we can get it ? (it's for the anvil with ice unmelted and so on)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You have to make one by combining a shaped shield with a purifying elixir. (This goes for all the other Perfected items you need to make the artifacts, too.)

How do you make a purifying elixir, you may ask? Mix Mandrake Tincture with Demon Bile.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #2
thank you very much
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #3
What are the perfect shields' enhancements? What is it's armor?
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #4
Perfected shield: 12% armor bonus

It's much more useful as an artifact component. You can read about the artifacts here, but it has some spoilers in it.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #5
but there are things that I don't understand, for example why the Guardian Claymore at 2000 is less expensive than the Spectral Rapier at 2500... The guardian Claymore is not the best sword in the game, no ?
is the price a reference to know the best equipment ?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Price is more of a reference to rarity.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #7
The price is a reference, but not the only reference. The guardian claymore is one of the most versatile weapons in the game- everyone can use it and everyone wants it, but the spectral rapier has better stats at first glance- a bonus to armor, to parry, to stun resistance, and a higher base damage. However, that's easily countered by the bonus to strength from the guardian claymore.

The price is best as an order-of-magnitude guess. If a piece of armor is 10x more expensive than another armor, then the more expensive one is almost definitely better. Differences of a few hundred when the item itself is a few hundred don't mean much.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #8
The prices on items is a very general guide to the approximate power of an item. However, this power is VERY relative.
For instance, the guardian claymore is a great weapon, but not necessarily the "best" in the game. It's great for my agent who never tries to hit anything with it and uses it primarily for the 2 points of strength (saving me the skill points to put into other spots). But for a shaper, there are weapons which augment creations' stats and some may prefer to use those.

The same goes for cloaks, boots, armor, etc. Price is a general guide, but for the most part you need to evaluate your needs as a shaper/guardian/agent when comparing 2 (or more) different pieces of equipment.

This is also the reason you'll see some people on here post about toting around extra items -- a prime example being the tinker's gloves and infiltrator items. The tinker's gloves are only good for getting into locked rooms/chests and not for fighting. So I carry the gloves and use them when I need them, but then I slip my hands back into my nice carnelian gauntlets (+1 BM, MM).

EDIT: ah, Schrodinger beat me to it.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:00: Message edited by: mok ]
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #9
I have begun the game for the third time with the guardian (I have tried every character) and I find that the guardian is the easier (for example the twins minds were easy to kill for a guardian and very difficult with shaper or agent).
No need of creature. And I have 2 equipments, one for fight and the other for unlock (Infiltrator Vest, Cloak and shield + Tinkers's bauble and gloves).
I use only sword (not missile) and I think that the guardian Claymore is more efficient than the spectral rapier. But it's may be an impression.
It's the same thing with armor. I think that the Puresteel Plate (40%) at 4000 is more efficient than the chrystalline Shroud (16%) at 5000.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
Chestguard gives+2 AP, which easily outweights whatever armor benefit you get from puresteel.

Are you playing on torment? Intresting othervise, since melee damage is very low in G3.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #11
Again, don't worry about the monetary value of an object. That's not nearly as important as what the item does for you. The crystalline chestguard gives you +2AP. That means without casting haste on yourself you can still attack twice per round (assuming you don't need to move). With hasting, it lets you have 3 attacks per round. To me (and many others on this board), the extra attacks are invaluable -- if the price is 10 or 10,000 I would still use it. It also gives you +12% resistance to everything, which is quite nice. But you're right, for a melee guardian, it's not your best choice. You should try for the emerald chestguard which, in addition to also giving the +2AP, gives you +50% armor and +2 levels damage and +2% resistance.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 04:52: Message edited by: mok ]
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #12
and how to obtain emerald chestguard ? I've never seen it

(I have problem sometimes because I don't understand all the details. May be one day the game will be translate in french) ;)
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #13
It's one of the items you need to forge.
The recipe is:
-Perfected Plate (shaped plate + purifying elixir)
(purifying elixir is demon bile + mandrake tincture)
-Demon Claws
-Deep Crystal
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #14
Guardian's claymore is the best weapon for agents for 2 str and 2 quick action and shapers for 2 creation str and 2 str, but not for guardians.
For guardians, the best are oozing blade and puresteel soulblade.
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Hume:

Guardian's claymore is the best weapon for agents for 2 str and 2 quick action and shapers for 2 creation str and 2 str, but not for guardians.
For guardians, the best are oozing blade and puresteel soulblade.

I have found the puresteel Soulblade at the end in the caves of the monastery. it's damage that's it's only at the end of the game.
At the end I had this equipment (I suppose it's the best)

- Emerald Chesguard
- Talisman of might (necklace) + 4 to strength
- All protector Shield (I have hesitated between this one and the quicksilver Bulwarck)
- belt Girdle of life
- Gazerskin Sandals
- Gazerskin Vambraces
- ring impervious Band
- Gloves of the Hammer
- Symbiotic Cloak

:rolleyes:

[ Friday, July 15, 2005 23:33: Message edited by: Paulette ]
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #16
Yeah the puresteel soulblade has the best damage in the game but no other stats whatsoever. And the fact that you only get it in the hardest area in the game makes it kind of pointless.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #17
You dont like artifacts, right? Lightning girdle and avenger's ring are much better than your current gear. Quicksilver bulwalk is better than all protector.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #18
Huh? how do you criticise him for not liking artifacts then complain about him using one instead of the quicksilver bulwark?

Edit: on further reflection how he differs from you is he seems to favor defense more than offense (especially concerning +ap items)

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 19:52: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Apprentice
Member # 5896
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

Huh? how do you criticise him ....)
criticise her not him ;)

- Emerald Chesguard
- Talisman of might
- All protector Shield

are all artifacts

I'll use more artifacts when the game will be in french too. Because there are some subtilities in the texts that I don't understand.

PS : by curiosity, why all the characters are womenkind ?

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 23:40: Message edited by: Paulette ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Paulette:

PS : by curiosity, why all the characters are womenkind ?
Jeff has a thing about powerful women. It may not be premeditated, but it's not unconscious either; there's a reference to it hidden in the dialogue strings of Exile II (I think it's E2; maybe E3).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #21
I prefer defence over offence myself, but all-protector is really a disappointment. It gives no more protection than a golden crystal's difference. It is a shield, a artifact and named all-protector, it only give about half protection of a pair of gazer skin sandals.

Hello, Paulette. There doesn't seem to be any difficult texts in Geneforge3. I'm a chinese and ten years ago I didn't know a single english word. If you want something really obscure, try Planescape: Torment. That game gave me great torment about the language.
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #22
Doesn't the crystalline shroud give +something to creations strength, unlike the emerald chestguard?
I seem to recollect that *that* was the difference that made me prefer it ...
And I think I got +3 to creations' strength from the guardian's claymore ...

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #23
Crystalline Shroud gives:
armor + 16%, +2AP, +30% stun, +12% hostile resist, +3 str creations.

Emerald Chestguard gives:
armor+50%, +18% stun, +2 AP, +2 lvls combat dmg, +2% hostile resistance

If you're mixing it up in combat, the extra armor and stun of the emerald is much better, as is the bonus to combat damage. Otherwise, the shroud is usually the better choice.

Guardian claymore is:
10-40 damage
+2 STR
+2 quick action
+2 STR of creations

Of course, there is plenty of other options for getting your creations stronger -- the bejewled bracelet gives a bonus, as does the shaper's boon, creator's belt and a few others that dont come to mind immediately.
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #24
I think +3 to creations' strength is more useful than +2 to my damage levels.
At the time I can get Emerald Chestguard, I already have high stun resistance.
And my combat tactics consists of "hit them before they can hit you", so armor does not count for much.

I don't think I would use the EC even with a Guardian. Even my Agent had a rooster of creations almost from the beginning (well, from gaining second level, when I upped fire shaping to get that first fyora).

Maybe I would reconsider on Torment, but in the previous games, the only difference between normal and torment I noticed was that I reloaded more often. So it was just annoying instead of more challenging.

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...

Pages