Blades of

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Blades of
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #0
What're the chances of a "Blades of Geneforge" type of game coming out? I just think that'd be awesome. Infinite Geneforge :P . I like geneforge better than Avernum, if you haven't guessed, he he.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
Don't get your hopes up.

Why? Because Blades of Avernum didn't sell well, took up too much of Jeff's time, and was hard to design for. There's no reason for BoG to be any better. So the answer is no. Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Rephrasing.

[ Wednesday, May 02, 2007 18:21: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #2
Ah, well, that's a shame. One of my friends just gave me Blades of Avernum as a present of sorts (in other word,s he owed me money, didnt have any cash on him, so I told him to buy me this with online-usable funds, hehe), and though I've only played demos of the Avernum series (I just bought geneforge one, but only played demos of the others so far), but I know I'd definitely buy a blades of geneforge game. Ah well..
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
It is possible to simulate GF fairly exactly in BoA (except the interface and real-time stuff), although no one has done it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Jeff could probably make a Blades of Geneforge, but he will need a lot of convincing that there is a market to make it worth his time. Poor Blades of Avernum sales pretty much have eliminated any chance of seeing it for the next few years.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #5
well the real time stuff is one of the key reasons i like geneforge better. Though the shaper concept definitely is one of said reasons as well
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
Sounds great in theory, but it would probably be really tough to do in reality. For it to be as good as the Geneforge series, it would need about a year or more to code. In the meantime, someone could always keep the idea alive by starting a "BoG blog." (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun! :P )

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #7
I'd buy it, BoA is the best. Sales of BoA must be through the roof by now, I've been pushing it hardcore. And I know dozens of people and one of them bought BoA, using tv ratings logic 1 person = 1 million so 1 million people must have bought BoA.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #8
Blades of Geneforge would probably be harder for graphics designers, at least. There's a lot of graphics needed for the animations, etc.

But don't worry! Chant! Chanting solves everything!

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah I'm sure it would be a lot harder to create custom graphics for, but you dont NEED custom images for a game to be good. A party system (as in making more than 1 character, not having monsters and npcs as your party) would be nice though, having each person have their own set of monster spaces.

Well, one can dream I suppose
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #10
*Chants*

BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u
BoG
BoG
BoG
We love u

*Stops Chanting, looks around*

Go on, I'd buy it!

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Never trust a man who can say "Pickles" with a manic gleam in his eye.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #11
Geneforge's plot doesn't leave a ton of room to elaborate beyond what Jeff has already written in the series. The storyline is pretty straightforward, and honestly I don’t really foresee BoG having many designers.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #12
Well, do you think all those Agents and Guardians learn hellishly deadly magic for fun? There are always tasks that can be done. Glorified side quests, maybe, but still plot-applicable.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
There will not be Blades of Geneforge. There will never be Blades of Geneforge. There are numerous reasons for this, which involve not only the performance of BoA but also the fact that Jeff has said it doesn't make sense, for numerous tactical reasons related to scenario design. And he's right.

There will never be Blades of Geneforge. Do I need to put it in the forum header?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

There will never be Blades of Geneforge. Do I need to put it in the forum header?

yes, you do. What're the reasons though, just how difficult the design would be, and the graphics, and such? Bah, such a shame...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
BoA took so long to make and sold so poorly that Spidweb was in a pretty tight spot financially. I don't think anyone wants that to happen again, least of all Jeff.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #16
Maybe as a going-out-of-business resent for when Jeff retires. Anything to stay hopeful. Anything. . .

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #17
This topic is frequently discussed, however, Falco wouldn't know that(Unless he's like me who pokes around at ancient topics). The truth is, I would never buy BoG. For one thing, I'm currently making a scenario for BoA. Two, Geneforge has a confusing interface. Three, its graphics are boring. BoA's are unique and fun, and they also possess better quality.

[ Monday, May 07, 2007 13:53: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
WWJD?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #18
Personally I find the Blades of Avernum graphics for Windows to be drab and unappealling. For natural outdoors settings they are way too angular, much like a skyscraper.

The Geneforge 4 interface is quite good, the only problems that I have seen are:

you are never told exactly what your maximum essence is, you have to calculate it yourself,(the maximum remaining essence after you have made a creation.)

you have to click on the question mark to bring up a list of the relevant creation's hp and energy, there is no quick list of how all the creations are doing

it is generally "retro", that is true, but you can work around or get used to it.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #19
As Jeff has commented before, there are elements of the Geneforge engine that lend themselves less readily to scenario design than Avernum's.

The big one is that it's much less generalizable. BoE and BoA have the potential to fit practically any world you can imagine, and can fit most generic fantasy worlds without significant added effort. Geneforge really only fits the Geneforge world. This would severely limit the number of scenarios likely to emerge from Blades of Geneforge, and would even more severely limit the number of people who would even be interested in using the scenario editor.

Also: One of the easiest and most popular ways to customize BoE and BoA scenarios is with custom graphics. Geneforge engine graphics require more frames, and altogether a lot more work to get a set of sprites that actually looks reasonable.

The poor showing of BoA is the nail in the coffin, but I wouldn't expect to see BoG even if BoA had seen Avernum 4 level sales.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
It doesn't exactly help that Jeff apparently really hates making scenario editors. He's complained about the amount of work it involves both of the times he's done it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #21
Saying someone complains is kind of like critizing. Jeff was just stressed out (with blood pressure most likely rising).

Also, there is no hope in a BoG. Also (again), I wonder if Jeff exercises, that would help with stress.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
Jeff's got two little children. Excerise is the least of his problems. He gets plenty keeping track of them.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #23
It's so sad. Ah well, I suppose I'll live. BUt not happily :(
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #24
Oh get over it!
Everyone does, even me.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

Pages