GF 1 - Shaper Crypt

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: GF 1 - Shaper Crypt
Apprentice
Member # 8459
Profile Homepage #0
Hi Everyone *waves wildly*

I am just getting walloped in the Shaper Crypt and can't think how to EVER get through this level, though it has been good for popping into and killing a few and staggering out before I die for EXP points. It's one of the only places I can even get them at this point. The notion of even surviving to SEE one spawner there seems delusional.

My Agent (level 21) stats are: Str - 7, Dex - 6, Int - 8, End - 7.

Combat: Melee - 6, Missile - 3, Quick - 5, Anat - 2.

Magic: Battle - 16, Mental - 6, Bless - 6, Spell - 11.

Shaping: Fire - 1, Battle - 3, Magic - 1, Heal - 4.

General: Lead - 12, Mech - 13, Luck - 9.

Any suggestions as to how to beef up my attacks to ever get through this? Even with a Battle Beta and/or a few Phantom Thads, it's not happening, and with the spawners at work cranking out more, I never get ahead when I come back, either.

Thanks,
Agent Dove
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
First start in fight mode to reduce the number of spawned creations. Buff up and move slowly so you have some AP to retreat or cast a spell.

It's been a while and I remember doing it in several trips. Go after pylons first since you can attack and retreat. Hold up in rooms where you can close the door to use pods to replace essence and heal. The main spawners are in the east side so save that area for last.

Delicious Vlish had some great advice to advance enough to draw off one foe at a time and then retreat so you don't get swarmed.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software forums and please leave your sanity at the door.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
If you still have other zones or quests to finish, go finish them first and see if you can gain a level or two. Are there any tombs left from earlier in the game that could improve your skills any, especially in the shaping skills?

If you haven't had your creations for very long and so they haven't leveled up much, try experimenting with different ones. Equip a Shaper robe and something to increase your intelligence if necessary. Vlish slow, glaaks stun, plated clawbugs get extra AP, and I'm told that drayks and cryodrayks are very nice. Improve their stats if you need to.

If you still have mind nutrients, you can give them to the servant mind and have him turn off all the pylons for you.

You'll want the crescent rock you need to clear the area on you so you won't have to fight your way through again.

Speed, blessing, and shielding effects will help you and your creations out. Especially speed.

The "spawners" in the crypt aren't actual spawners that you can kill but machinery that you can't turn off, so there will always be spawning monsters.

Save your progress with different save files so that if you accidentally save yourself into a particularly tricky combat and can't get out without getting killed, you can reload without losing much.

Finally, if you need to, turn the difficulty down, especially if you are above normal. Dikiyoba doesn't think there's any shame in doing that.
Apprentice
Member # 8459
Profile Homepage #3
Thanks for the ideas!

I am entering from the East, so it's pretty rugged, and as yet I haven't gotten to the servant mind or had to worry about more than one pylon. I get ganged up on by five and six of the little dragon things at a time *eep* plus glaaks and a few Battle Betas.

I took a break and cleaned out Central Labs of those thieving humans *grins*.

As an agent, I haven't had creations throughout the game, have been alone unless I really needed the help a couple times, like on the Crypt. The Vlish got bitten, and my other guys did their best but we had to flee or die - I've died a couple times already here and don't die that often, actually.

Exp points are hard to come by, even on quests and most of those are done to get this far. I guess I'll keep going back and killing things and gaining levels, but I don't see that much increase in my battle magic anymore when I level up, that's why I was asking if there is some other area I should be adding to. I have basically memorized the faq in the course of play so far, and think I have it as balanced as I can and still function on most areas.

Yep, have the cresent stone, too *grins*. Just rather doubt right now I'll need to use it and maybe should just go on towards the Geneforge and be done with it. Did have hopes to take out Goetsch though, but haven't found him. .... haven't tried really hard though.

Anyway, will keep on keeping on.

Agent Dove
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
Another thing is to increase missle weapons about 3 more levels so crystals do significant damage. It won't be as good as battle magic, but I got through as an agent. I did do it much later after I used the Geneforge.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
You haven't dealt with the Geneforge yet? You could always use it and then go back to clear out the Crypt; it gives you a huge boost in power.

(Make a backup savefile first, though; using the Geneforge changes your ending significantly.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #6
Sorry double post.

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 08:24: Message edited by: Leftover Sauerkraut ]

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #7
I think you should stay hasted and use corners for protection. You can attack at a corner and run back and the other creations will not see you. You might also consider lowering the difficulty and using the Geneforge.

Is it possible to clear out the inner crypt on torment without using the Geneforge?

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
Yes, it is, but you may have to rely on engine limitation exploits. With enough quick action and AP, you can shoot, hide, double-tap 'f', and repeat, killing anything eventually, without ever giving it a chance to attack. I mean, you might as well cheat.

Also, haste yourself to at least 15 AP, and never leave combat mode when moving around, except for just long enough to quicksave. This cuts down dramatically on the rate of encountering wandering monsters, and lets you save your strength for the things that have loot.

For the original poster: the Inner Crypt makes the Shaper Crypt look like a walk in the park! But beware: the two Crypts are by far the most difficult areas in the game. If you beat them before finishing everything else of significance, then on the positive side you'll still have some chances to enjoy your hard-earned power. But on the negative side, everything will seem rather anti-climactic. If you haven't yet reached either Goetsch or the Geneforge, then you have quite a few high-level zones left, and you might want to consider clearing some of them first, then coming back to the crypts.

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 09:59: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #9
Level 21? Agent? You're pretty brave. Or foolish. Agents are the hardest to play with, and I didn't even think about going near the Crypts until I was Level 25. With several drayks, cryodrayks, and battle betas that could stomp, whomp, and chomp anything that decided to stick its ugly head up.

However, if you've used the Geneforge...

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Apprentice
Member # 8459
Profile Homepage #10
*grins*

I came back after using the Geneforge and finally got through it and got to see it all.

Saved the file near the end so I could see what would happen if I went with Trajkov, didn't and used it and destroyed it, or used it and did not destroy it. I also tried to not use it and destroy it. Interesting endings.

I like the Agent best, Guardian second. Tried the Shaper but got tired of tripping over my creations and being such a weakling, hiding behind them.

I decided the best ending for me would have been to take the boat and row into the sunset...

...and the SHAPERS! Well, they didn't handle their own business right, and then blamed everyone else for thier own stupidity and the fallout. Typical politics.

I'd aligned with no one, so maybe that would have shifted the ending as well. But, in the end, I think my Agent was right, not "off" to hate everyone *grins*. It was not the fault of the Geneforge, but because there are so many ornk rears in the world. (Inferior ones at that).

Absolute power is never trusted unless you hold it yourself, eh?

Good game and imaginative, Jeff. I'd love to write a storyline for you to develop a game from... I need to see how hard it would be to learn how to write one myself, and then decide how badly I want to "shape" it into reality...

2,3 and 4 await, but I have to catch up on real life for a while before I move on.

Thanks for being so friendly here, fellow Rebels and Shapers.

Agent Dove

[ Sunday, April 08, 2007 13:03: Message edited by: Agent Dove ]
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Agent Dove:

I have basically memorized the faq in the course of play so far
If you have the FAQ memorized you wouldn't have quite those stats for an agent and, potentially, not so much difficulty either.
Apprentice
Member # 8459
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

If you have the FAQ memorized you wouldn't have quite those stats for an agent and, potentially, not so much difficulty either.
Other than a failed attempt to ridicule, your point is what?

The faq is a guide to one way to do it, and points are given to spend and develop your character as you wish.

I finished the game fine, thanks, Ornk Lord.

Agent Dove
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

Good game and imaginative, Jeff. I'd love to write a storyline for you to develop a game from... I need to see how hard it would be to learn how to write one myself, and then decide how badly I want to "shape" it into reality...

If you want to see people playing the stories you write, take a look at Blades of Exile/Avernum. These games let you make your stories into games for others to play. BoE is easier to use, but BoA (the Avernum version) is more powerful and seems to be more popular now.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #14
quote:

Other than a failed attempt to ridicule, your point is what?
Failed? Well, aren't you happy to rush a judgment.

My point is that your stats seem to reflect that you neither took the time to read the related portion of the FAQ nor prepare a strategy on how to develop your character. You just mashed points, seemingly at random, and then come crying wondering why the game is so 'hard'.

And yeah, you can develop your character "as you wish", but don't come complaining when your creation-using Agent gets her butt kicked. Congratulations on finishing the game though. Bet your F9/F10 keys are worn down to the nubs.

P.S: Signing your own posts stopped being cool in 1998. We can see your name in the author column, kthx.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Be nice. You're not respected enough to get away with being a jerk yet.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

You have to be here a few years or been a mod to be a jerk.
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Can't say I care much about respect. I've never gotten the sense about there being much of a community here and the only reason to come hang out on the fairly sparsely populated boards is the excellent game-related advice. :D

That said, proxies, a new nick and presto - clearn reputation.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #18
Oh, good, a potential flamefest. *Nalyd settles down to watch, perfectly aware that by doing so he has diffused the entire situation. Of course, by saying that, Nalyd has ensured that the flamefest will take place. Of course, by saying that. . .*

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #19
You know...If it is really all that difficult,make a deal with..."cheat codes"!
and activate the "dbugkill" cheat everytime monsters appear...ahem,you did not hear me say this.
Ii isn't against the rules to tell people cheat codes is it?

--------------------
R.R
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
It's perfectly fine to mention cheat codes. In GF4, there's currently a whole thread dedicated to nothing but cheat codes.

quote:
Originally written by Eugi:

That said, proxies, a new nick and presto - clearn reputation.
Not quite. There are a few people here (not naming names, since most of them are on the straight and narrow now) who came back under a new name after being banned, but this was generally after a while, and even so, they were still recognized fairly quickly. And there are other ways to ban someone so they can't do what you mentioned above. (Not naming it, since the mods got understandably upset the last time someone gave away how to dodge around it inadvertently.)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #21
Agents are easily the best class and the crypt is not that hard at all, even at level 16-18 or so. The main point is to travel in combat mode, and have plenty of action points. Haste is a minimum requirement for survival, and having a quicksilver plate and boots is ideal. 3 attacks per round means over 300 damage, and with searing orbs, you can blast entire groups of baddies with ease.

The Shaper Crypt can easily be soloed on standard difficulty with an agent. Now, the Inner Crypt is a bit harder. You need 2-3 Ur-Glaaks to take on the boss, thanks to their stun attack. With 3 attacks/round and hasted backup, beating the boss should be possible in 2 rounds. You should easily win as long as your creations don't go rogue. ;)

Here are some general agent tips that show why EVERYTHING is easy to this uber class.

I didn't put ANY points into mechanics as an agent, seriously. Their unlock spell is immensely powerful, and you can eventually buy up the mechanics skill, as well as leadership. If you aren't doing 120+ damage a spell by the end, you did something wrong with your skill points.

Also, Agents don't need any combat skills. They just don't; ignore their "battlemage" starting stats and simply develop them as pure spellcasters. You can get adequate early game melee skills from the Obeyers and Awakened training, and later on, your spells will be strong enough to completely replace melee.

For shaping, the early game fire shaping bonus from Obeyers (THE most important agent faction) is good enough to last you until you get the shaper robe, which will allow learning the other shaping skills at the tombs. By the end, I had a 5/4/4 shaping skills agent without spending a single point in any of them!

All the skills points should be loaded into endurance and spellcasting skills. With high endurance, you can literally walk through a minefield, which, along with unlock, makes the mechanics skill almost pointless to have. ;) Intelligence is also nice, since having cannon-fodder is useful, but it isn't nearly as important as endurance.

Overall, agents are uber before beating the crypts and even more uber after the crypts, to the point where using the geneforge is simply unnecessary overkill. ;)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
I've never bothered with endurance, but just pumped Int, battle magic, and spellcraft, with some quick action to make sure I get to act first. With a strong enough offense, you don't need defense, and it's more fun to blast things than to take hits. On torment difficulty Agents aren't quite such a breeze to play as on normal, but they are still easier than the other classes. Guardians on torment are a bit tough.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #23
I thought playing a hack and slash loner Guardian in G1 on torment was fun though.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Warrior
Member # 8338
Profile #24
Shaping as an Agent? I feel that that's a huge waste.

I'm already onto GF2 so let me fire up GF1 and see what I have...

Right, so... By the end of GF1 (where all that's left is deciding who to help and who to kill) I am level 24.

Stripped down I have:

Strength 6
Dexterity 8
Intelligence 11
Endurance 6

Melee Weapons 7
Missile Weapons 4
Quick Action 5
Anatomy 3

Battle Magic 15
Mental Magic 6
Blessing Magic 6
Spellcraft 23

Fire Shaping 3
Battle Shaping 0
Magic Shaping 3
Healing Craft 5

Leadership 13
Mechanics 14
Luck 30

Some notes: I skipped Missile Weapons in favor of spells as my ranged attack. Right now I mostly Melee using Tek's Spectral Dirk. Sure, it has slightly less damage than Guardian Claymore, but in my opinion the very high resistances it offers more than make up for that. Not many points in Quick Action or Anatomy since I originally planned to focus entirely on spells. (The fact that I'm mostly using melee just shows that I need to replay the game on Torment). Admittedly I likely went just a tiny tiny bit overboard with Battle Magic and Spellcraft. Nothing much in Mental Magic (Daze is for pussies) or Blessing Magic (I have Spellcraft to help me). Shaping as an Agent is for losers in my opinion. And yes, I purchased every single point of luck what with having too much money and nothing else to spend it on.

Overall, anyone that's talking about using "helpers" on anything but Torment as an Agent needs to delete their save files and re-roll a Shaper.

Pages