ADV Shaping (Battle Gamma & Co.)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: ADV Shaping (Battle Gamma & Co.)
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
[Just curious - they can be shaped by the player?

And all the other, strange creations (like "energized Artila", "Oozing Thand", etc...)... You would like to be able to shape them?]

[...!]

What an idea! What about change the shaping-creation system? Instead of simply click-and-shape what about a mini-game? Something like a logic-game: put all genes in correct order to obtain normal creation, or try to change genes positions for amazing effects! Maybe, you can still shape normally during travelling, but if you go in a shaper lab, with adeguate skills (here another function for shaping skills!)/equipment (resarch notes, shaping equipment or other) you can try to create something new! And if you make something good you can choice to "record" (maybe the "records" can be limited, or maybe you need some rare items) it and being able to shape it during traveling! Maybe you can discover secret creations! And maybe make them strong or special by using items on them during shaping! Man, maybe you can be able to shape a new pack-creation or a creation-humanoid that can use equipment... And new quests like: "Shape a secret weapon"...

Comments?

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 02:02: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDrakoon:

Just curious - they can be shaped by the player?
They cannot.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #2
quote:
They cannot.
Sure they can.
Well... If you edit scripts.
Side note: If you want me to I'll show you how to make ornks into Battle Gammas. (So you can create them.)

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Warrior
Member # 3357
Profile Homepage #3
Shaping vats allowing you to make the more exotic creations would definitely be interesting.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Major:

[QUOTE]
Side note: If you want me to I'll show you how to make ornks into Battle Gammas. (So you can create them.)

No, thanks, it was just a question.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #5
quote:
No, thanks, it was just a question.

Wise choice.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #6
This seems cool. It would certainly add some reason as to why the player can shape in the middle of an enemy fort, but other shapers apparently require labs. Discovering new creations would be awesome and add replay value.

However, a minigame would need to be more than just lining up genes. Bleh.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #7
It does sound like a neat idea. And perhaps your experimental creatures should have a greater chance of going rogue to make up for their uniqueness/superpoweredness.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #8
I think G4 NEEDS to allow the PC to shape Battle Gammas. Personally, I think that an additional 'upgrade' needs to be added to each Creation type (eg, Battle Alpha/Beta/Gamma, Vlish/Submission Vlish/Terror Vlish, etc).

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
Sorry for revive this, but I want more opinions on the ADV Shaping, expecially with the two GF Masters, Delicious Vlish and Slarty. ;)

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
I am not a Master. I just have too much time on my hands :P (something that will be changing shortly)

What's to discuss, really? Jeff's already said there will be new creations in G4. It seems very likely that they will be mid-rank creations -- having a fifth tier would be silly, and the first tier is well balanced for the beginning game as is.

Or maybe there will be a fourth class of creations.

Regardless, a Battle Gamma would be retarded. We already have a pile of battle shaping creations that are exactly the same except for essence cost and level. We don't need yet another one.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDrakoon:

What an idea! What about change the shaping-creation system? Instead of simply click-and-shape what about a mini-game? Something like a logic-game: put all genes in correct order to obtain normal creation, or try to change genes positions for amazing effects! Maybe, you can still shape normally during travelling, but if you go in a shaper lab, with adeguate skills (here another function for shaping skills!)/equipment (resarch notes, shaping equipment or other) you can try to create something new! And if you make something good you can choice to "record" (maybe the "records" can be limited, or maybe you need some rare items) it and being able to shape it during traveling! Maybe you can discover secret creations! And maybe make them strong or special by using items on them during shaping! Man, maybe you can be able to shape a new pack-creation or a creation-humanoid that can use equipment... And new quests like: "Shape a secret weapon"...

This is what I mean for ADV Shaping. :P

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #12
Battle Gamma wouldn't be retarded. It could be the highest level creation for loyal shapers. They would have high damage, high chance to stun and high HP.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
No, it wouldn't.

Battle Gammas already exist. They have statistics just like every other character in the games. And the only different between Battle Alphas, Betas, and Gammas is base level. That's it.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
Why do I think of a Battle Epsilon as being extremely tiny?
And why am I so sure that they always travel in a pair with a Battle Delta?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #15
Yes it would be like an advancement of the battle beta. It should probably have a slight advantage though. Like a higher chance to stun. And higher damage.

That would make it a perfect combination with the oter creation I thought of.
quote:
At the end of the loyalist ending you were leading an army of strange humanoid creations. Maybe these will be like smaller, weaker Battle Alphas but they have high dex & parry so they are hard to hit. This might make a reasonably useful battle creation. It would have to have less chance to be hit than Rots though, because otherwise no rebels would use them.

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #16
Trouble is, it's not very interesting. I'm sure a leveled-up Clawbug has slightly different statisitcs than a battle alpha, but they still play the same.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
So given that everyone seems to agree it would be a good idea to do so, how do we differentiate battle creations from each other? A greater variety of elemental attacks and resistances seems like it would be a good start -- just because they fall into the role of melee brutes, doesn't mean they can't be diverse. Rotghroths are already based around an element; why can't some of the other battle creations follow suit?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #18
Battle Alphabets should be immune to stun. I mean, they are [i]GIANTS[/i] for crying out loud. Heck, their mass alone should allow them to shrug off almost anything.

Bugs should have poison, and lots of it. Their discription even says they should have poison. They do not. Plated bugs should have massive armor values and resist almost anything thrown at them, at the cost of some loss to hit. My Bug Baron was bitterly bummed out by his bogus bugs. Also, being insects with very little brains and only impulse centers, they should be immune to charm and mental effects.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Thahds are good the way they are, because they are so basic.

Battle betas should be able to do way more damage to an opponent than battle alphas. A far better melee attack should be the reason to spend the all extra essence on them.

I'd rather be able to create stinging clawbugs than plated clawbugs. It would be interesting to give it high dexterity, extra AP, and a poison attack but give it only low armor. That way it would be good at hitting and doing damage, and good at avoiding being hit, but when it did get hit, it would get hit hard.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #20
this idiea is great...i hope they put it into gf4.

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Dmknoiygba:

...I'd rather be able to create stinging clawbugs than plated clawbugs...
Dikiyoba.
Where is the third person? :P

Anyway, I think the the main problem of the Battle Alphas is, as Delicious Vlish said, that the mass of these creations don't affect something. Being immune to Stun is a good example.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
Plated Bugs are cool because they get 10 AP. That makes them such a pain as opponents, because they can run so far and still attack you and because it's hard to stun them enough that they can't hit once. So in principle it ought to make them good on your team.

But I've just never been able to get much use out of melee creations, except for Glaahks, with their good stunning and decent health. Melee creations are fine as enemies, because those are supposed to die, and there are lots more where they came from. But on your side, ranged attacks are just too important. They compete fine for total damage with melee attacks, and they are much more flexible.

So how could you beef up melee creatures on your team? Maybe give them some regeneration, like your enemies, so they don't get ground down so much. But the idea I like best is just adding the 'locked in combat' feature of A4 (the AP penalty for stepping away from an adjacent enemy). This would let you use melee creatures to tie up enemies, especially if it were extended to making it harder to launch a missile attack when an enemy is adjacent. Getting your melee creations (or your melee Guardian) to grips with your enemies would then dominate the battle.

Even better, if the engine could possibly swing it, would be for adjacent allies to be able to mitigate the effects of an adjacent enemy. Then if a rogue Battle Alpha had your Vlish in a grapple, you could bring up your own Battle Alpha to bust the Vlish out. You would use melee creations to lock down your enemies, and to prevent enemy melee creations from locking you down. It should still be possible to get by without melee creations, but employing them should become a very attractive option.

There could also be a pumpable skill that would boost creation melee ability: some sort of combat leadership, not implausible. And maybe just lowering the essence cost, so that it was cost-efficient to make melee dudes, and to evolve them up in order to keep replacement melee dudes up to par with experienced missile-launching survivors.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #23
Perhaps similar to Baldur's Gate II, the Shaper could engage in 'Wild Shaping'. Merely a random blast of magical energy, and you can possibly get any creation from the game. It could be something crap (Slimy Worm) or something awesome (Ur-Drakkon). Of course, your chances of getting something awesome would increase in relation to your level.

Wild Shaping could also have a good chance of harming you, or creating a rogue creation.

A little bit of randomness + unpredictability always makes a game more fun!

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #24
Plated bugs can't hit the broad side of a barn. They have an exceptionally low to hit rate. Especially so in G3, they are worthless.

G3's Bug Baron cheated and got Glaahks. :mad:

Something else I thought of, but seriously doubt it could actually be implemented because of the game engine, is knockback for the Alphabet Mob. Something that big, when it clobbers you, is going to knock you around a good bit. Heck, one of those big guys could pick up a servile and kick them like a football right in to the next zone.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.

Pages