Splitting one PC from the party

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Splitting one PC from the party
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I have gotten an idea of something I think myself is quite cool, but for that I have to be able to split a PC from tha prty in such a way, that the player can't use that PC: it's the exact opposite of what you can do with the existing calls (which is to split one PC from the party and play only with that PC, I want to plit one PC from the party and play with the party). Now of course it's possible (Kelandon did it in Bahssikava), but that's not entirely what I want. If there is not other way I'll do it vua Kelandons method (which is to move a chosen PC to a secluded spot and charm him heavily. It would be nice, though, if there are other ways.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
I think Kelandon's method is how you'll have to do it. The party splitting calls only make the party temporarily into a singleton.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Of course, you could also just kill the PC, but that would be inconvenient. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
The only alternative I can think of is to kill one character, and later use restore_pc to raise him. You'll have to have him pick his equipment back up, but I think it's still the cleaner option.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Ha ha.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
I did think about killing the poor guy/woman, but I didn't know for sure I could resurrect him/her without losing his/her stats. If i do use this method, will the character be intact (that is, no stat loss) when I resurrect him/her?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #6
I think so, though if you find it doesn't work that way, you can always record the character's stats in a set of flags, and then restore them after resurrection.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
Okay, thanks. I'll try that.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #8
Why so bloodthirsty? Experience from Exodus shows that repeatedly webbing a PC makes him/her absolutely useless. Then there is sleep too. When you want to have the PC rejoin the party just cure the relevant effect(s).
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #9
That strategy means that the player is stuck in combat mode, and the 'split' character still appears in the roster. I think killing the char would be an improvement.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
But wouldn't killing the character allow resurrection by a priest? Please forgive Nalyd if this is a horribly naive question. You could alway attempt to get around that by increasing how dead they are (Petrification, dust, etc.).

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #11
Not if he doesn't put in any priests who do resurrections.

EDIT: Oh, now I see. You meant Return Life, not npc healers. Sorry.

[ Thursday, April 19, 2007 04:03: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
As lazarus said, the party will be stuck in combat mode, which means that, before a tick passes, the player has to put in extra time to get all characters moving, so that their ap have been used (unless he does "defense" all the time) and the turn ends, and another tick passes. Conclusion: this takes up unnecesary time. Instead of that, it would be a lot better if the party could just move around normally.

I don't think a priest with resuurection will be a problem. I'm designing for a level 20-30 party, and I have yet to find a scenario in which one can resurrect at a high level (more than 1).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
If you wanted to be doubly sure that they couldn't resurrect the dead PC, just remove all balms of life from them.

And to stop them from making more, you could just remove that recipe for the duration of the scenario.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Or just turn off the resurrection spell, if that would be easier. Because someone will play through your scenario with a god party.

Dikiyoba.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
I added a notice in the Readme file and a message_dialog call in the scenario start state, alerting people to read the readme file before playing, like I did in WtRM. That way I hope to alert people about the fact that their character will be killed. I generally don't like taking away spells, so I will only do that if it's really necessary. I also don't know why anybody would want to use a god party for TNS...

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
To just generally cause havoc in most cases. Think about it: using a god party, you don't have to concern yourself with combat much, other than dealing gratuitous amounts of death.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
Then me thinks a god party will be mostly useless, as a puzzle is a puzzle is a puzzle is a puzzle, and it doesn't matter if it's combat based or not. By just hacking through, you won't win anything in most cases.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #18
Some people use god parties to avoid difficult combat. Some people also use the same party for every scenario for convenience.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
And some people just play through scenarios for the story value. And, apparently, balms of life aren't required for resurrection in BoA. They just heal. Odd, isn't it?

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
Maybe I'm just naive, but I trust my players to just read the readme, and thus read they should not resurrect their fallen comrade if they don't want to break that part of the scenario.

Also, what I meant with my earlier comment about using godparties: What I meant was that hacking through will not win the puzzles for you. Upon rereading it, I thought it might have been a little unclear, because what people might have understood is "You won't win the scenario," which of course isn't true. No, the puzzles I try to design will make you think about what to do, and hacking through all the enemies will probably get you nowhere. You will have either to attack a very specific thing or do a series of specific things, after which you can defeat the enemies. So that's why a god party may not be usefull.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #21
I seem to recall having this same question for Kel a while back (though I doubt he remembers). Actually, it was really more of a suggestion for the battle arena in the HLPM. I don't recall what he said about it, but I was kind of curious as to why Jeff didn't include the feature into BoA, as he used it in the prior Avernum games.

Kind of a bummer, too. I could make good use of that for at least one or two of my scenario ideas.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
I don't think so. Splitting off one character so that three are active and one is inactive has not appeared anywhere that I can remember in the Avernum Trilogy. Splitting off one character so that one is active and three are inactive has been used, but that's available in BoA, too.

[ Tuesday, April 24, 2007 06:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8386
Profile #23
I could have sworn there was in at least one of the original three Avernum games the option to leave one of your characters in a room somewhere temporarily. Maybe it had something to do with having the option to have somebody join you and you needed to have only four people. Or maybe I'm imagining things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Oh, that. That's kinda different, but yes, you could do that. Huh. That actually would've been nice if Jeff had included it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages