A new remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A new remake
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
I've been tinkering a bit with the code to the 3D Editor, and I was wondering, does anyone else ever really make much use of the fill rectangle and fill hollow rectangle functions? I realized that I don't, so in my own copy of the editor I've overwritten them with rectangle copy and paste functions, which I know are something that a lot of people have wanted.

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 07:00: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I do use the fill rectangle button, but not the other. There's an empty space left between "place force barrier" and "clear space," too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
I actually do quite a bit. An eyedropper to grab the current terrain/floor would be nice.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
In that case, I think that I may need to undertake the slightly more ambitious project of reshuffling the existing buttons and finding room for some new ones. As it is some of the arrangement has gotten a bit mixed up anyway (the zoom/realistic view button and the 2D-3D button really ought to be togetherand so on), and I think I may have thought of a way to fit in space for six more buttons now that I look at it. That would give us a bit of room to grow into.
*i's eyedropper tool should be quite easy to implement, and that would then leave ~4 free button spaces. Any other ideas for things we could really use?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Oh dear god the eyedropper would be fantastic. If you give me a few days, I'm sure I could come up with a couple more.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
A Bulldoze button, which lets you remove creatures, items, specials, and other such things from a selected rectangle (Sort of like the fill rectangle button, but it deletes things). And maybe a Paint Bucket button, which changes every connected matching floor or terrain type to another floor or terrain.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

fill hollow rectangle
Legacy of BoE, where it was very handy for making buildings. With walls no longer taking up a floor square, it's kind of obsolete.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
What about making the fill rectangle work for heights? Would that be easy to do?

Dikiyoba.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Diki: Try the "set height" button by the spray cans.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
Ah, but how about an empty rectangle tool for height? Or would that just be a waste?

Seriously, though... the eyedropper would be wonderful.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
An "open script" button. Not sure how easy it would be to implement, but it would make life much easier in so many ways. It should just open whatever script(s) are associated with a given floor/terrain/creature, and ignore blue rectangles.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #11
My Christmas Wish List of Improvements
What we really need is a 3D editor that can be easily compiled on common IDEs like Dev-C++.

If the Editor could be re – written to provide for a rectangular application of the Blocked property, you would not need blocked varieties of floor. Currently floor and terrain types can be applied by hollow or full rectangles, something like that is needed for the Blocked property. This would be in addition to the existing tool, #32.
This function could be extended to placed objects too.

All these problems are found in both versions of the Windows Editor:

Needs a whole lot more (Shift + letter) hot keys. If you have the Caps Lock on, you can select functions with the keyboard while using the mouse with your right hand.

Could support the functions fl_ed_icon_adjust and te_ed_icon_adjust. I suspect they are meant to show the icon adjustment in the 2-D display.

The commands in the Edit menu are not explained in the Editor Help menu. Lines 886… of the file “Bl A Editor.c” suggest that the commands involve copying and pasting of creatures, items and terrain scripts.

Creature default script is not implemented in the editor. (It is not automatically assigned to creatures having that script.)

When you try to place special encounter nodes, it suggests states like 0,1,2 which are already defined elsewhere.

The automatic terrain placement zones, (the terrain sequences 11 thru 22, 25 thru 36, 45 thru 56 and 59 thru 70) need better handling. It might be handy if you can totally customize whether and where they occur.

Floor terrains will be “signs” if they have the same number as a terrain type that is a sign. If, for example, terrain type 194 is a sign then floor type 194 will be a sign too. As the supply of custom graphics increases, so will the number of scenarios with 200+ floor types. Changing which terrain types are signs will cause a corresponding change in the floor types.

Terrain shortcut keys can only be given to individual types of terrain, not to whole sequences as is the case for floors.

There is a funny “OK” in the Set Variable Town Entry page. It occurs on the fourth line. This is a problem in the 3D Editor only.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
I would find it very nice if a special rectangle, upon placing it, will start with number 10, and not 0.

I don't know if this is really manageble, but I would find it veyr handy if I could define, in the editor tiself, where the locations are of all those small apps (like the dialogue editor and the graphics adjusterand alint), so i can click a button that will open them. That's instead of navigating the whole way to my hard disk to finaly find the program.

The eyedropper sounds like a magnificent idea.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #13
I would like the ability to somehow set what scripts terrain scripts start out with, instead of it always just being dummy, and be able to define what value was in each memory cell.

And along the same line, it would be nice to have the same thing for creatures. So for example, you'd select "Set custom creature Script" Select abilnpc, memory cell 1 to 1; and memory cell 4 to 5. Then every creature you placed would run script abilnpc with those memory cells already set. You wouldn't have to be constantly opening up creatures' scripts and setting memory cells.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #14
So here are the revamped button arrangements as I've though of them so far.

quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha
a rectangular application of the Blocked property, you would not need blocked varieties of floor. Currently floor and terrain types can be applied by hollow or full rectangles, something like that is needed for the Blocked property.
There is a limit to how many blocked spaces can be placed using that tool. If you need a lot of blocked spaces, you really should use a blocked floor.
quote:
Could support the functions fl_ed_icon_adjust and te_ed_icon_adjust. I suspect they are meant to show the icon adjustment in the 2-D display.
To the best of my knowledge there re no fl_ed_icon_adjust and te_ed_icon_adjust attributes. I am however, trying to figure out how to make the editor correctly display icon adjusts in 2D mode.
quote:
Creature default script is not implemented in the editor. (It is not automatically assigned to creatures having that script.)
This isn't something the editor handles. Leaving a creature set to use its default script means that when you play the game it will use whatever default script is set for it in [scenario]data.txt. The editor just doesn't bother to check and display which script this is.
quote:
Floor terrains will be “signs” if they have the same number as a terrain type that is a sign.
A floor cannot be a sign. Besides, there isn't a one-to-one correspondence between floors and terrains; there can be 512 terrains but only 256 floors.

[quote=Spent Salmon
An "open script" button. Not sure how easy it would be to implement, but it would make life much easier in so many ways. It should just open whatever script(s) are associated with a given floor/terrain/creature, and ignore blue rectangles.[/quote]I have had something a bit like this in mind; my idea was to make a system a bit like Javadoc or similar where the writer of a script places specially formatted comments at the beginning of the file, and the editor would read these so that in the 'Edit This Creature' dialog it could display a snippet about what the script does and what each memory cell is for. This would be a lot of work to make though, so I won't be attempting it just yet.

Lastly, I want to point out that I can only recompile and readily alter the Mac Editor. I will keep track of what I do though so that the same can be done with the Windows Editor.

--------------------
//hallsofchaos.forinti.com/]Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

To the best of my knowledge there re no fl_ed_icon_adjust and te_ed_icon_adjust attributes. I am however, trying to figure out how to make the editor correctly display icon adjusts in 2D mode.
There are, although — odd — it appears that they're not documented. I swear that they were at one point. Amazingly enough, they display properly on the automap in the game, as you can see in Exodus anywhere there's vahnatai floor. They just don't display in the editor.

quote:
The editor just doesn't bother to check and display which script this is.
Come to think of it, it would be nice if the editor did bother to display this, although it's not critical.

One other thing: on pretty much all the dialog boxes that pop up in the editor, the text cursor starts at the beginning of the line, and it would be more convenient if it started at the end (to ease deleting whatever the default thing is). It would be even more convenient if the text started highlighted, like a normal box, but eh.

Lazarus reminded me: as a possible alternative, simply being able to cut and paste creature scripts would be nice.

[ Wednesday, December 20, 2006 08:14: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
I would want the following:

Eyedropper: selects current floor/terrain in Editor

Duplicate creature: Click on a creature, it stores all of the information. Clicking on an empty space places an exact copy. Ideally, this would last until you click on a different creature or hit a different button in the menu.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Duplicate creature sounds pretty similar to copying and pasting a creature, which you can already do. Is it different somehow?

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #18
How is it that I never knew about the copy/paste feature? This could have made my life a lot easier a couple times.

You learn something new every day. My earlier suggestions aren't so useful now I know this.

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #19
I haven't used the editor in about six months now, so yeah, you are correct. The suggestion about being able to transfer the script would be a good one.

I've eluded to this elsewhere, but if I could have anything I wanted, more advanced features would do the following:

1) Have a basic, simple text editor to facilitate a more integrated scenario design tool.
2) Can read in a dialouge script and gives you options similar to the Dialogue Editor. Could the two codes somehow be merged?
2a) Dialogue nodes structured in terms of nodes like in Blades of Exile. The user clicks on the node, text windows and options come up.
3) Bring up a town/outdoor script and see the states on command. Ideal would be to be able to use point and click nodes, to create simple scripts, but just being able to bring the script up in simple text editor would be nice.
4) The ability to create a skeleton script for a new town/outdoor section. This way I don't have to duplicate a file in another text editor.
5) Parsing of the scenario script for easy editing of shops, boats, etc.

I know most of these are pipe dreams, but if I had a miracle wand for this, that is what I would make.

[ Wednesday, December 20, 2006 18:51: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #20
So I have the eyedropper and paint-bucket tools working now. Next I need to put into action my plan to fit in more buttons. One question: what kind of icon for the copy and paste buttons would make sense?

Lastly, I agree with *i and others who have said similar things that an IDE type program would be a big improvement over the system we have now. I've been thinking a bit about this, and I think I might be able to make a good attempt at such a thing, but not right now. One problem is that The 3D Editor is Carbon-C++, Dialogue Editor is pure Java, Alint is Cocoa-C++ (if I remember right), Graphic Adjuster is Carbon-C, and so on. They would basically all have to be recreated in a single application, particularly since Carbon is. . . not so good. Maybe next summer when I have some more time I'll give it a try. For now, I just want to patch up the existing 3D editor to max-out its potential.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #21
New idea: How about if when you select "Load Different Town" or "Load Different Outdoor Section" it actually brought up a menu with a list of every town/outdor number followed by its name? Town numbers are easy enough to remember on small projects, but outdoors are hard to keep track of without a list, and when opening up other people's scenarios its a pain to find stuff.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #22
The computer is always right.
If you have a type 215 terrain that is a sign the Editor will always treat type 215 floors as being signs! It will go through the whole rigmarole of asking for the text of the sign&&. Of course the party won't be able to use the "sign" in the game.

Simplest solution is to make all real signs have terrain numbers greater than 255, but that will require a bit of changing of terrain.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
f you have a type 215 terrain that is a sign the Editor will always treat type 215 floors as being signs! It will go through the whole rigmarole of asking for the text of the sign&&. Of course the party won't be able to use the "sign" in the game.
Oh, you mean this is a bug that should be removed, not a feature you want added! My apologies. I think I can fix it.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
For the copy and past icons, look at the BoE editor icons for examples.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages