A new remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A new remake
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #75
Hm. I'm running 10.4.8, PPC, 0.75 GB of RAM, 867 MHz.

Edit:
Graphics work fine now. What did you do?

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 14:27: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #76
Okay, this was the most important-looking bit that the crash log turned up (there was a lot):

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

*sigh*... tried the new one and it does the same thing. I'm still running 10.3.9, and that shouldn't mean anything. Nothing pertinent needs updating, either.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 14:38: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #77
Dahak: I really didn't change much. I made it so that when you scroll it doesn't waste time drawing the terrain buttons on the right side. That, and a couple of really minor tweaks that I've already forgotten the details of.

Ephesos: Right below the lines you found there should be a pair of stack traces. One should be labelled "Thread (0 or 1) Crashed" can you get me the numbered lines directly below that one?

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #78
Yeah, that seems to have fixed it. It scrolls much faster now. Since it works, I'm not going to question why. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #79
Somebody mentioned height labels earlier, and it got me to think the folowing: Woulnd't it be nice to know what the exact height of terrain is, also in the 3D view? I often make mistakes with this, which results in enormous irritation. If you could make that, I would be extremely thankfull.

I would have tested, but a week of exams has started. If it is still needed by then, I can start testing by next tuesday.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #80
I think that a 'test' option which immediately loaded your scenario using the default party at a designated location would be useful. Presumably, to return to the editor you could press escape. I often find it a chore to reload the game or re-enter the town every time I want to study the effect of a small modification.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #81
I'm afraid that this is probably not possible. There's no way to make BoA itself do much of anything, I could have the editor launch it, but nothing more; there's no conceivable way to make it load a party or a scenario.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #82
*bump*
So I've implemented a couple of final features:
-Added 'Change Town Size' function for changing the size of an existing town
-Made the 3D editing area the same size as in BoA itself
-Added a toggle to set whether height labels are displayed in all drawing modes when in 2D view mode, or just in height mode
Would those of you who tested before mind trying out (hopefully) one last version?

Assuming that all goes well in testing I will declare the Mac version ready and release it. Then I'll just have to find the right software to get the Windows version to compile so I can work on that. The Windows source code comes as a neatly set up project, does anyone know what IDE works with it?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Would those of you who tested before mind trying out (hopefully) one last version?
Send it my way and I'll look at it.

As I recall, the original goal of the first re-make was to implement a palette system for placing items and creatures (like what exists for floors and terrains, or, better, what Notus was trying to do). How difficult would that be to implement?

[ Thursday, January 25, 2007 21:22: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #84
I'll be more than happy to give it another shot, though I still have no idea why it was been screwed up before.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #85
Kernel Knowledge was the coordinator of the Windows compilation. I e-mailed him and he said that it was done on KDevelop, a Linux program.
(Address: chrono232@fastmail.fm )
So far I have not been able to compile it on Dev-C++ or Borland, I think that is due to language specific features.

What we really need is source that can be compiled on common Windows compilers so people can experiment with their favorite new ideas.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #86
Testers, I sent you the newest version.

Looking back over peoples' comments I noticed that they said the BoE import feature was broken, and I also find it to be. I haven't been able to fix it yet as the problem is somewhat unpredictable. It has to do with writing the quote characters in script files, but some of them write correctly while others just don't. I'll try to fix it, but since this isn't a feature most people are using very often and it can be done using the original editor, it won't be my highest priority.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #87
Actually, the original editor doesn't import either.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #88
Woohoo! The editor suddenly decided to start working again! I can actually test it now!

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #89
Ephesos: I can't describe how happy I am that it's working again. That issue was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what to do about it. Apparently, waiting was the answer.

Dahak: Really? That's odd; I just ported VotD successfully using Jeff's editor, version 1.1. However, see the next point:

I think I've been able to solve, or at least work around the problem with porting BoE scenarios. I order to generate many of the files, the editor has to print out strings containing " characters. Obviously since these denote string constants in C code, you can't put one into a string constant. Jeff's solution was to use ~ characters instead, and have a piece of code that replaces them with " characters. The chunk of code was very short, simple, and logical, and I still can't understand why it wasn't working. But it wasn't. However, I realized that there is a very standard and obvious solution to the quotes-within-a-string problem: escape sequences. (There was much forehead smacking for not thinking of this sooner.) I initially wondered if there was some reason that these wouldn't work here, since they specifically hadn't been used, but they do work just like always, and I can now port VotD without the program crashing. /technical ramble.

Also, I've gotten the Windows editor running using Dev-C++, so I'm beginning the process of catching it up with the Mac version.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #90
By Niemand:
quote:
However, I realized that there is a very standard and obvious solution to the quotes-within-a-string problem: escape sequences. (There was much forehead smacking for not thinking of this sooner.)
Heh. Don't you just love days like that?

I find thinking out loud helps. Especially in the vincinity of people who can help you. :)

--------------------
Talking to your computer is not a sign of insanity.
Hearing your computer respond, however, is.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Also, I've gotten the Windows editor running using Dev-C++, so I'm beginning the process of catching it up with the Mac version.

:)

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is having trouble getting a part-time job as cover for his latest job.
I believe that this is partially due to the fact that he will not remove "blowing stuff up" from his list of major skills.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #92
Um, for the record, there was a time when the import feature worked. Both TM and I can attest to that. I haven't tried it recently, but it worked at one point.

And by "worked," I mean "sucked," but nonetheless functioned. :P

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #93
The import function really needs to be customized for each individual scenario. Currently it is based upon a plain vanilla default scenario with no custom terrain, items or monsters. If Niemand can create a Windows 3D Editor that can be compiled on common IDEs then porting should really take off.

Even now you can customize the translations with discrete hex editing.

A lot of the special node translation routines are not accurate representations of what the BoE Editor help file says about the nodes. Here customization can really help.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
. . . create a Windows 3D Editor that can be compiled on common IDEs
If you want to compile it yourself, get the newest version of Dev-C++.

quote:
A lot of the special node translation routines are not accurate representations of what the BoE Editor help file says about the nodes. Here customization can really help.
Which ones? From a cursory inspection of the BoE Editor docs and the BoA Editor code, I don't see any significant differences.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #95
Here I did a three - way check: comparing the BoE Editor Help file with the Bl A Fileio.c source file and the BoA Editor documentation.

I have not finished work on the list of routines that are apparently not correctly translated. As I recall there were a few problems with horses and boats&. Then certain calls had the wrong number of arguments&&. Then there were a few punctuation problems. The list is at home.

As for compiling the 3D Editor, I will have to download the latest version and see what happens. I tried it on last year's version of Dev-C++ and couldn't compile anything at all. This was using the 3D source as downloaded, there were no modifications of mine that I recall.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 18:46: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #96
*Bump*
Beta-testers of the Mac version: I haven't heard from any of you in a while; which I assume to mean everything is well. If not, let me know, because I want to get the Mac version released publicly.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #97
All is indeed well. Undoing and redoing works well, everything seems to display properly, and nothing seems to be crashing.

One feature I can't remember anyone talking about (ignore me if someone else brought it up) was fixing the Add Random Items menu item, which just treated everything like you gave it a 100% probability of being added.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #98
Yeah, that was pretty freaking lame. I didn't even think of that. Oh, and clear all items is broken as well.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #99
Edit Item Placement Shortcuts in the Scenario menu allows you to decide the percentage chance of each item occurring in a given type of terrain. This is what the Add Random items command in the Town menu actually executes. That is why the latter is so set - piece, the choosing actually takes place elsewhere.
A good idea is to shift the Edit Item Placement Shortcuts command to the Town menu, just above the Add Random Items command.

Niemand, have you actually tried to compile the 3D source code on Dev-C++? I did and got 11 major errors, hence there was nothing compiled.

[ Monday, February 05, 2007 19:28: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]

Pages