A new remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A new remake
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #25
Possibly the best approach is to alter the code so that it can be compiled on any common compiler. Then give people tips about how to write their own favorite features into it. Thus everyone can test their favorite ideas here and now, and see how useful they are in practice.

As for the Edit menu, it is the only menu not mentioned in the BoA Editor Docs. I had to go into the source file “Bl A Editor.c”, lines 871 thru 900, to figure out what it does. My guess is based upon lines like this:
“if ((copied_creature.exists() == FALSE) && (copied_item.exists() == FALSE) && (copied_ter_script.exists == FALSE)) {”

Authors sometimes want two or more versions of the same town in a given scenario, the quickest way to achieve this is to import the earlier version into the slot reserved for the latter. So if town 1 and town 9 are the same town before and after a given event, import the town 1 into the place reserved for town 9.

Currently in importing a town, everything is imported in one go. Would there be any use for the individual importing of each feature: special nodes, scripts, floors, heights, terrain and monsters? Ditto, outdoor sections are imported in one hit too.

In the MS-Dos Edit command, here and now some things can be pasted individually: floors and heights for instance. The beginning and the end are usually easy to spot for each section. You won’t even need to manually adjust the end of each line. (What I am referring to here is: if the floor for town 1 starts at column 11 on some line and the floor for town 9 starts at column 23 on some other line, you can’t immediately paste the latter into the former. One trick is to use the Save As command to create a (wholly expendable) second bas file, then delete the first twelve characters from the floor listing for town 1. Save the bas file then close it. If you then re – open it, the floor for town 9 should start at the desired column 11. You can then paste town 9 floor from the expendable second bas file into the listing for town 1 in the original file. In the Edit command deleting 12 characters won’t have any immediate effect on the next line, it won’t cause every following character to move up 12 spaces.)

[ Friday, December 22, 2006 03:20: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #26
(Bump)
So I now have the copy and paste functions working, including the choices to paste any combination of the copied rectangle's floors, terrains, and heights. (That is, you can paste just the floor, or just the terrains and heights, etc.) i've also fixed the bug where the editor would try to treat some floors as signs.

I'm also making good progress on a feature that I had hoped to add, but hadn't wanted to get people's hopes up about in case I couldn't do it. It appears I can do it, and that feature is: unlimited undo and redo for drawing operations! So far it works with the pencil, paintbrush, paint-bucket, spray-can and rectangle drawing tools, and before long it should work with all of the others and heights as well. No more having to reopen the .bas file to get rid of a change you didn't want to make!

Also, once I'm back at school in another week or so I can begin work on updating the windows version as well.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Also, once I'm back at school in another week or so I can begin work on updating the windows version as well.
You're my hero.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #28
By Laz:
quote:
You're my hero.
Second that motion. By the by, is there a simple way to disable sounds in the editor? There's been a number of requests for that.

--------------------
I am not a chauvinist, obviously... I believe in women's rights for every woman but my own.
- Harold Washington
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #29
quote:

(I'm also making good progress on a feature that I had hoped to add, but hadn't wanted to get people's hopes up about in case I couldn't do it. It appears I can do it, and that feature is: unlimited undo and redo for drawing operations! So far it works with the pencil, paintbrush, paint-bucket, spray-can and rectangle drawing tools, and before long it should work with all of the others and heights as well. No more having to reopen the .bas file to get rid of a change you didn't want to make!
What a terrific idea. That's exactly what i wanted to be in the editor all along!

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Laz:
quote:
You're my hero.
Second that motion. By the by, is there a simple way to disable sounds in the editor? There's been a number of requests for that.

Yes. No sounds please!

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #31
A toggle would be ideal.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #32
Way ahead of you *i. I've got a menu item that toggles the sounds on and off, and stores the setting in the preferences. I've also fixed it so that the cursor starts out at the end of the text field in dialogs, and the script a placed creature will use is shown, even if it's the default script for that creature type.
Right now I'm trying to make the 'load different town' and 'load different outdoor section' dialogs allow the user to select the zone from a list showing the towns' or sections' names. After that I want to try to get graphic adjusts working in all viewing modes, and try to make the scroll bar on the right side respond to scroll wheel input.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
You will, of course, release intermediate versions along the way to your Super Duper Improved Better Than Ever Before Editor, right? One of the tragedies of the Remake is that there is literally nothing, end-user-wise, to show for it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #34
Fear not! I'm aiming to begin a Mac beta test later this week.
As features go, I realized just how much I could do with a list of zone names. As a result, I've torn apart and rebuilt the import system so that now the user can see a list of the names of zones in the source scenario to alleviate having to guess numbers blindly. Also, importing a town now prompts for a file, then a town number, rather than the other way around. I think that I've been able to relax the restriction on importing a town only over one of the same size, but I will need the help of testers to determine if I really got it right.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #35
Apologies for this being a double post, but I wanted to make it clear that there's something new here:

I believe that the time has come to beta test the new Mac version of the editor, so i could use a few volunteers. Names and email addresses would be logical, and knowing which OS version you plan to test it under would be nice.

Lastly, the final feature I've worked on is fixing icon adjusts in 2D mode. It turns out that the editor already did use te/fl_ed_icon_adjust, just hardly anyone was bothering to use these properties. So, what the editor now does is if a floor or terrain has no ed_icon_adjust but does have an ordinary icon_adjust, the ordinary adjust is shown in 2D mode. This fixed the appearance of blue carpet, for instance. Also, items and creatures are now adjusted when displayed in 2D mode.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
quote:

So, what the editor now does is if a floor or terrain has no ed_icon_adjust but does have an ordinary icon_adjust, the ordinary adjust is shown in 2D mode. This fixed the appearance of blue carpet, for instance. Also, items and creatures are now adjusted when displayed in 2D mode.
This seems like a bad idea. I want the editor to reflect the game as closely as possible, and using normal icon_adjust doesn't affect the 2D automap.

If corescendata doesn't use ed_icon_adjust, that's a bug in corescendata, not a bug in the editor.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #37
Ok, compromise: I'll give you a toggle-able option to turn off the additional adjusting behavior. You can turn it off and leave it off, and I will turn it on and leave it on, because I can't stand not being able to tell what I'm seeing in 2D mode. I'm assuming that, though it was included in the quote, adjusting the graphics of creatures and items in 2D mode is not being called a bad idea.
And it will take some will power not to name the new menu item "Kelandon's 2D Icon Adjust Toggle".

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
quote:

Ok, compromise: I'll give you a toggle-able option to turn off the additional adjusting behavior. You can turn it off and leave it off, and I will turn it on and leave it on, because I can't stand not being able to tell what I'm seeing in 2D mode.
Why don't you just make the editor display ed_icon_adjust properly? That would mean that you could tell what you were seeing in 2D mode, and you could also reflect the game accurately.

quote:
I'm assuming that, though it was included in the quote, adjusting the graphics of creatures and items in 2D mode is not being called a bad idea.
Right. My mistake.

quote:
And it will take some will power not to name the new menu item "Kelandon's 2D Icon Adjust Toggle".
Call it that! I want to be in the 3D editor! It will ensure my infamy forever! :cool:

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Why don't you just make the editor display ed_icon_adjust properly? That would mean that you could tell what you were seeing in 2D mode, and you could also reflect the game accurately.
Like I said before, it does already! However, a quick search of my BoA folder locates only 16 terrains and 1 floor which were defined using ed_icon_adjust (in the basic game files and 25 scenarios). So, it's convenient to be able to view terrains and floors with their simplistic adjusts instead of having to rewrite all of their definitions.

quote:
Call it that! I want to be in the 3D editor! It will ensure my infamy forever!
I did. :P (I called it Kelandon's Strict 2D Icon Adjusts, to be precise). And if anyone asks, you made me do it!

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #40
quote:

quote:
Like I said before, it does already!

No... it doesn't. I'm using the Mac version of the 3D Editor v1.02 b6, the current version on Sourceforge, and (for example) the vahnatai floor (floor 100) in Exodus has a fl_ed_icon_adjust on it that does not display in the editor in 2D mode but does display on the automap in the game.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #41
i can only conclude that the newest availible source code is newer than the newest availible build, because it works in every version I have on my computer, all of which are derived from the code at Sourceforge. Point is, in the version I've got, it works. I will happily send you a copy so that you can try it for yourself.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
Hmm. I accept that. I'd be interested to see what happens if you download the current Sourceforge build, though; if it does display properly on your computer and not on mine, then something weird is going on. Otherwise, your explanation must be right.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #43
There is something wrong with my build. It cannot import BoE scenarios.

Neither can the Spidweb version though. Is anyone else having this problem with the Spidweb or 3D versions?

I've tried the following BoE scenarios:
Valley of Dying Things
Inn of Blades

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #44
I've had a problem with the 3D editor's Change Outdoor Size feature. Basically it corrupts various towns, which eliminates its usefullness for obvious reasons. I've tried it with various scenarios with no success.

Has anybody else had this problem?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #45
No. I've been able to add outdoor section in every direction without any problem. Did you exceed the 100 section limit?

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #46
Not even close. Oh, and I'm on a Windows and using Build0039.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #47
Porting

The 3D Editor crashes disastrously every time you attempt to port any BoE scenario.

While the official Spiderweb editor should port properly, within the limits of its porting algorithm. The actual process used suffers all sorts of flaws and glitches. For instance, you can't customize the translation tables for items, terrain and monsters unless you hex - edit.

Porting is easy enough, I tried both Valley of Dying Things and Inn of Blades, both were ported properly. Newly ported scenarios will be found in the Data folder not the BoA Scenarios folder, after all they are not ready for immediate play anyway. The folders will have names like bladeinn.bas or VALLEYDY.BAS.

[ Thursday, January 11, 2007 02:43: Message edited by: Ishad Nha ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #48
Change Outdoor Size works fine for me, with the most recent version of the 3d editor for Mac. I've got nothing to test the importing function with, though.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #49
New Request: This goes hand in hand (at least in my mind :D ) with the idea of having creature's scripts not just read "default" but rather their real script. I was thinking it would be nice to have a "Reload Default Creature Scripts" option. Basically the problem is that I'll place a bunch of custom monsters with no custom script (And thus Basicnpc as the default) then later alter the data when I decide I need a custom script for that creature. Unfortunately the editor still remembers when Basicnpc was the default, so I have to either write all the scripts in by hand or replace all the monsters. This new option would recheck what every creature's new default is, and set their current script appropriately.

--------------------

Pages