A new remake

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A new remake
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #50
Happily, the existing Reload Scenario Script command already does this.

As a reminder, are there any Mac users who would test this new version out for me? I really need to know if the undo system is robust enough to stand up to significant amounts of normal editing, and I don't have enough time test it under realistic conditions (doing serious work on a scenario) myself.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #51
Send it my way and I'll look at it. tomwatts (at) berkeley (dot) edu

By the way, it'd be sorta nice (although not by any means crucial) if there were a command similar to Reload Scenario Script that also reloaded the graphics. Currently the only way to get a scenario completely reloaded from the ground up is to re-open it from the File menu. This is mildly annoying, though not at all a big deal.

[ Friday, January 12, 2007 19:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #52
Count me in... and I promise to be more prompt about it than with other things I've tested.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #53
I'll test.

pat (dot) s (dot) j (at) att (dot) net

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Happily, the existing Reload Scenario Script command already does this.
Newsflash: I know next to nothing about the editor and it's many features :D

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #55
Those of you who were interested: I've sent you an email with the latest version. And Kelandon, your wish is my command. (I think) I've made the reload function reload the graphics library as well as the data script, so hopefully it'll do what you were looking for.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #56
You, sir, are a magic man. A quick perusal shows that everything works spectacularly. I will continue to investigate to find bugs, but all is good so far.

One other minor thing: IIRC, the game's window is ever-so-slightly larger than the editor's window, which can be a little weird when you're trying to see what the party will be able to see at any given time. It would be nice if they matched exactly.

That seems like it might be hard to do, though.

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 07:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by National Champion UF Gators-- Again:

I've had a problem with the 3D editor's Change Outdoor Size feature. Basically it corrupts various towns, which eliminates its usefullness for obvious reasons. I've tried it with various scenarios with no success.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Yes. Just.

It appears to be a Windows only problem, if it's working for others, and as well as messing up towns, it also destroyed my outdoors, and the editor shows me error messages when trying to load different towns. And promptly crashing.

So TV is dead. Gah. I am not a happy man.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #58
You know it makes a backup file before it changes the outdoor size, so your scenario hasn't really been corrupted.

Open up TV.bas.bak to get back on track.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by National Champion UF Gators-- Again:

You know it makes a backup file before it changes the outdoor size, so your scenario hasn't really been corrupted.

Open up TV.bas.bak to get back on track.

In my scenario folder? Yay.

I'm not on that computer at the moment, but I'll go and check later.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #60
You didn't make any backups of your own? Ouch.

--------------------
One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.
- Robert Firth
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #61
Broken
3D Mode, Non-realistic acts very sluggishly when attempting redraw the screen. Realistic mode and 2D work fine. Outdoors there is no problem. Not limited by town size.

Broken button: 3rd row, 6th from the left (outdoors and towns)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #62
Yes, moving around is rather sluggish. This has been a problem repeatedly with the 3D editor.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #63
Yeah, the slow view scrolling in 3D mode is annoying. I'll see if I can make any improvements, but I doubt it, there's a lot of stuff that has to be drawn on the screen and drawing is pretty much always slow. The fact that the editor depends on ancient Quickdraw doesn't help. I've found that the editor is a lot snappier when Blades of Avernum itself isn't running. It might have something to do with both of them using the same resource files or something, or it might just be the way the game hogs cpu time.

Dahak: Broken how? By my figuring, the button you're referring to is the auto hills toggle button, which works perfectly for me. It only shows that it's done something if you're in height editing mode though. I didn't alter any of this functionality from the way it was when I started.

Kelandon: Yes, I remember this issue. A quick check shows the game's view area to be ~500 by ~415 pixels, and the editor's to be ~460 by 460. Kernel Knowledge's dismissal of the possibility that this could be changed aside, I think it could be fixed. At one point I actually had a bug where the code that drew the tool buttons was having an overflow that made the editing view only a hundred pixels wide. So, I'm sure it can be done. I'll just have to dig into the code for the scroll buttons and main drawing to see if I can make it work right. Also, if possible I would like to make the view user resizable or at least have two different sizes. When checking what the player will see it's good to have a window the same size as the game uses, but when doing many editing tasks you want as large a view as possible.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #64
It's not immediately obvious to me what more you're drawing on the screen than any previous version of the 3D Editor, though, so the sluggishness was a little surprising.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #65
Ah. The reason I thought is was broken was because there was no indication that it had been clicked since sound is turned off by default. It would be best to show the current status when clicking on the button whether or not you are in height edit mode since it has its effects in terrain mode.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
It's not immediately obvious to me what more you're drawing on the screen than any previous version of the 3D Editor
Oops, that's not what I meant. I mean that that mode does more drawing and graphics manipulation than the other modes. For instance, calculating the locations of and then drawing all of the grid and rectangle lines in 3D. I may be able to improve things a bit, though, because it appears that when scrolling the editor unnecessarily redraws the entire window instead of just that section.

quote:
It would be best to show the current status when clicking on the button whether or not you are in height edit mode since it has its effects in terrain mode.
I agree, and I'll fix this.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #67
quote:

quote:
It's not immediately obvious to me what more you're drawing on the screen than any previous version of the 3D Editor
Oops, that's not what I meant. I mean that that mode does more drawing and graphics manipulation than the other modes.

What I'm getting at is, why is your editor so much slower than the regular 3D editor? What did you change about the drawing and graphics manipulation that made your editor slooooooooww down?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #68
I keep telling you, I didn't change that code! It's the same as it has been. In fact, I can hardly tell a difference between the two. However, I'll see what I can do to speed it up.

EDIT: So i've optimized the redrawing done when scrolling to a reasonable degree. Scrolling from one side of the Breeding Pit in Exodus now takes 3.40 seconds, while the original 3D editor takes 3.56 seconds. The difference isn't really significant, of course, but now the new editor is faster than the old. I can send you the newest version if you like, or we could wait until more changes have been accumulated.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 10:16: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #69
There is a noticable difference between the two. Obviously we need to do some regressive testing.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #70
Okay, for the record, the reason I haven't been able to test it yet is that AOL fails at life. What kind of mail server is "unable to list mail"?

Either that, or AOL ate my mail.

EDIT: Scratch that, AOL stopped being a failure. Testing now.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:47: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #71
quote:

I can send you the newest version if you like
Yes, please.

What are the specs on your computer? Spidweb-based programming has been known to perform wildly differently on different computers, and much of the BoAE code is still SW-based.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #72
Hunh. That's odd. I try to open the editor, and it dies. I seem to remember having this problem with GraphicAdjuster as well.

It's in the right place, so I don't see what the problem is.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #73
Is there any way you could make it so that one could turn on height labels for drawing terrain or floors in 2D mode? As it is, whenever you place a terrain all the height labels go away-- it would be nice when drawing hills if you could make them stay, especially since that's about the only thing I use 2D mode for.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #74
Ok, so I've sent the three of you the newest version.

Kelandon: My computer is a 1.33 GHz G4 powerbook with 2 GB of RAM, but I also test everything on another computer, which is a 600 MHz G3 iMac with 384 MB of RAM. Both run 10.3.9.

Ephesos: I can't imagine why it's crashing on you. The problem it has cannot be the same as you were having with Graphic Adjuster since both Kelandon and Dahak have gotten it to run. Maybe to new version will fix things. I sure hope. Are you still using OS 10.2 or something? That shouldn't be a problem, but who knows. Also, could you check you crash logs to see if there's any information there? Try using Console to see if there's anything in "3D Blades of Avernum Editor.crash.log" under CrashReporter under ~/Library/Logs, and let me know what you find.

EDIT: Gah, why an I so slow to write posts? Somebody always gets in and post before I finish. . . Anyway, yes, i think it would be possible to make the height labels display in all modes.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 14:09: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------

Pages