How about new BoA scenarios?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How about new BoA scenarios?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I made this topic because of two reasons:
1) The depressing "future of BoA" topic;
2) pure curiousity.
The fact is that quite some new scenarios have been released. All the authors of these scenarios: Thanks. You have done a good job. Now it's time to look into the future. Will you, or are you already making a new scenario? From some people I already know they are making new stuff, from others I suspect it.

I myself have been busy with my secon scenario for some time now. Go here, and look in the "news" section for the latest entry, which also has the link to the scenario section. The page describes the intro story of the scenario. I will also put screenshots there from time to time.

I can't say anything about when it will be released, judging by how long WtRM took me. I also won't say anything about the plot as yet. i think the plot will be better then in WtRM, which was a standard "kill the plague" scenario. After I read all the reviews about Exodus, I have the feeling that my second scenario (The Nephil Search: Escape) will be a bit like Exodus in some aspects. However, and I am completely honest about this, in order not be affected by anything in Exodus and take over any idea, I will not be playing Exodus until I ironed out all of the plot of my scenario! I have respect for Kelandon and Exodus, and I don't want to find myself in the same situation as Solberg found himself...

So, again: do you have any plans for a new scenario, and iif so, have you started yet? Are you willing to say anything about it?

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 05:42: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
I am slowly working on three scenarios, which is probably a bad idea..

First of all, there is Twilight Vale. This is a purely plot-driven scenario - no combat at all, and which is probably going to be out first, maybe by about February. It takes place on the surface of Ermarian, and is basically a horror story.

The second scenario is merely a few pages of notes and an outdoors section, set in Avernum towards the middle of the Empire War, shortly after the barriers fall down. No idea when this will be finished.

And finally, I have ideas for a series of scenarios based upon the seven deadly sins. Want to keep that one under wraps for now, and will probably take a while.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
My next project is updating the HLPM, which should happen maybe sometime next week, whenever I have a free day to work on it.

After that, I'd like to spend some time re-writing the docs. I'd also like to make a short scenario, sort of like LP after Bahs, something that takes only a couple of weekends. I have a few ideas what this short scenario could be about, but I'm not sure which idea I'm going to go with at this point.

And eventually, someday, I intend to make the third part of the Slith Homeland trilogy.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #3
By Kel:
quote:
After that, I'd like to spend some time re-writing the docs.
Why, what's wrong with the docs? :P

All LoD1 needs is around a week of hard work before I can fully alpha test it. However, I want to complete astring for Windows first (give me a few more days), and I've committed to Project Diki.

Right now, Solaria! is nothing more than a notebook full of map sketches and plot outlines. Expect it to be released a week after Drakey announces the beta for RiB.

--------------------
The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
- Attributed to Donald Knuth
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
I saw the title of this topic, and I thought to myself "I love how these topics pop up every few weeks, and they're always by people who've never touched the editor and never..."

Oh wait, it's Thralni.

But yeah, I'm still working on another. Right now, it's a vague idea for a plot and a lot of pretty islands... I'll get a screenshot up on my site later.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I saw the title of this topic, and I thought to myself "I love how these topics pop up every few weeks, and they're always by people who've never touched the editor and never..."

Oh wait, it's Thralni.

Don't really know what to understand from that...

quote:

...pretty islands... I'll get a screenshot up on my site later.
As it's you saying this, I believe you. I'm curious for the screenshots.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
The Eternal Vigil (which is undergoing a title change) will be complete sometime in the next couple months. I originally thought January, because I counted on getting a lot done over Christmas break. Turns out I'll be on vacation, so that pushes the date back a while. Screenshots on my website, though it hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't revealed anything about the plot.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #7
I am still far from hard at work on The Vitoba Monastary Seige, though I'm hoping (against all reason and past experience) that I can get some intense work in once crunch time ends late this week.
Yay for procrastinating on my intro scenario.
Fie upon schoolwork for getting in the way of my gaming!

Okay, I confess, I am quite excied about submitting a film to a national competition, but aside from that...

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is still working on teh uber- epic.
In other news, the moon is falling.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

Okay, I confess, I am quite excied about submitting a film to a national competition, but aside from that...
Huh? Do tell.

quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:

Oh wait, it's Thralni.

Don't really know what to understand from that...

I just meant that I was a bit surprised to see you heading a charge for more scenarios... usually it's Arrna or some random newb. You know, someone completely unwilling to help speed up the process by trying their hand at making stuff.

Oh, and... LET THERE BE SCREENSHOTS!!!

(So far, it's really just outdoors and skeletons of towns)

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 14:07: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

And eventually, someday, I intend to make the third part of the Slith Homeland trilogy.
I hope you get around to this sooner rather than later, if only because I'm itching to see how in the flying blue hell you intend to make a scenario for level-120 parties.

As for my own scenario... well, BoA isn't my highest priority right now.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #10
You guys know about ItSoD. And no, it shouldn't be taking so long, because it's probably still gonna be really short. I sometimes have to restrain myself from scrapping the whole thing in pure disappointment.

Don't know when that'll be ready, because I still have to reorganize my thoughts (as well as the files) for said scenario. Then I have to deal with the stupid lag, generated by my Intel Mac. This I have little patience for, so it could well be after Jeff fixes that issue. Boo.

I sure hope this little scenario is worth all the trouble it's being. Right now it doesn't look like it is. :mad:

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
Eph:
Every year, the students in the Advanced Video course are required to submit their final projects into a nationwide film festival. This festival only accepts works that were submitted for credit in a college class.
So for the last three weeks, I've spent a large chunk of time working on the final project for the course.
It's due Thursday. I hope to have it posted online before the end of the week.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin just walked past my office carrying my dress robes.
If this has anything to do with the fire upstairs...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Alchemy:

I hope you get around to this sooner rather than later, if only because I'm itching to see how in the flying blue hell you intend to make a scenario for level-120 parties.
Well, my first idea was monster plagues of level-edited demons and undead. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #13
I am making yet another one. This one should keep me busy for a year or two or if I continue to invest as much time into making it as I am now, for all eternity.

It's set in (mostly) one huge city with no outdoors and I hope it to have a better plot than my previous works (as in there's more of it) but like in my previous works I will bury the main plot under a hundred side quests.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #14
Importing Blades Of Exile Scenarios
The way to increase the number of BoA scenarios is mass – production: importing Exile scenarios into Avernum.

If you really want to be an author but have zero literary talent, then porting is the way to go. Ditto if you are an author and want to import one of your great Exile hits into the Avernum world. It is magical; choose the Import option and a few seconds later an entire scenario appears all at once!

Admittedly there are still some bugs to be worked out, a 3D editor is needed that can be compiled on any common compiler. Before this can happen the porting process commands will need to be revised. Easily enough done by a three – way reference: BoE Editor Help, the Bl A Fileio.c source file and BoA Script Reference. (The Bl A Fileio.c file is the one that actually contains all the commands used in porting, it is found in the official editor’s source code. Its analog in the 3D editor is Bl A Fileio.cpp.)

At the end of the day, BoE and BoA are very much different games, so the process will require a lot of manual effort, it can never be automated.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

Importing Blades Of Exile Scenarios
The way to increase the number of BoA scenarios is mass – production: importing Exile scenarios into Avernum.

If you really want to be an author but have zero literary talent, then porting is the way to go. Ditto if you are an author and want to import one of your great Exile hits into the Avernum world. It is magical; choose the Import option and a few seconds later an entire scenario appears all at once!

Admittedly there are still some bugs to be worked out, a 3D editor is needed that can be compiled on any common compiler. Before this can happen the porting process commands will need to be revised. Easily enough done by a three – way reference: BoE Editor Help, the Bl A Fileio.c source file and BoA Script Reference. (The Bl A Fileio.c file is the one that actually contains all the commands used in porting, it is found in the official editor’s source code. Its analog in the 3D editor is Bl A Fileio.cpp.)

At the end of the day, BoE and BoA are very much different games, so the process will require a lot of manual effort, it can never be automated.

Don't hold your breath... It was tried twice, and I heard that it was a total disaster. Something about towns that had to be totally redone, same for dialogue?

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 05:05: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
More importantly, artistic vision is precisely what the community isn't short of. Coding skills and (especially) time are what's lacking.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #17
Thuryl makes a great point.
I'm sure that if everyone who ever attempted to start a BoA scenario could complete it within a month, and bring it to its full potential, BoA would possibly be the most popular shareware RPG scenario engine in existence.
As it is, Ishad Nha, scripting takes halfway to forever, and porting requires a huge amount of effort in map redesign alone, let alone converting the special nodes into script states.

Kel, how long did it take you to port 9 Variations on Point B?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is outside, doing his civic duty by protecting our community from an evil menace.
You know, with the way he describes it, you'd think he'd go squirrel hunting more often.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

Thuryl makes a great point.
I'm sure that if everyone who ever attempted to start a BoA scenario could complete it within a month, and bring it to its full potential, BoA would possibly be the most popular shareware RPG scenario engine in existence.

Also, if my wang were made of solid gold, I would be a rich man. But it ain't gonna happen.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
The only way that would happen, though, is if you sold your wang. And then you, of course, would be wangless.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
You'd also be less attractive, Thuryl. :P

I have begun working in earnest on Redondo Beach (working title), and finished designing the outdoors today. Hopefully, with the enthusiasm I'm feeling for the project, it'll be done before TV.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:

It is magical; choose the Import option and a few seconds later an entire scenario appears all at once!
Have you actually tried it? If you had, you would know that this is an entirely misleading statement.
quote:

Kel, how long did it take you to port 9 Variations on Point B?
I think it took me a day. Possibly a few. But that scenario has almost nothing in it, so my experience with that is not at all representative of what people would face in porting real, decent scenarios.

And it was annoying as hell — the way that BoE and BoA deal with space in towns is totally different, so you have to place most of the specials (and many of the walls) over again. And, of course, you have to re-make all of the custom graphics and re-write much of the code. In fact, you basically have to re-write the scenario from the ground up.

No, porting BoE scenarios is not a quick and easy way to make more BoA scenarios. There is no quick and easy way to make more BoA scenarios, except perhaps making small, manageable scenarios.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 08:18: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
Ephesos: Those screenshots look very good! I'm getting eager to see more of it.

And I have uploaded some screenshots of TNS:E. Just follow the link thralni.ermarian.net, search in the news section for "12 - 12 - 2006," and click on "here." It doesn't look extremely pretty, I know, but that will probably come later.

Something else to say about my scenario is that it will be for more puzzles and logical thinking than fighting, considering the place this scenario takes place in.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #23
Right now, I'm working on two. Agadia Isle, which I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about ( :) ), and The Escort. The Escort will likely get finished before Agadia, as it's a lot smaller and simpler.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:39: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Immanuel Velikovsky:

Also, if my wang were made of solid gold, I would be a rich man. But it ain't gonna happen.
You illustrate the point quite vividly.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is constructing some sort cluster bomb upstairs in the kitchen.
I am quite curious as to how this relates to the eight gallons of whipped cream that he brought in earlier.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Pages