Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #75
Um... guys? I don't know if someone noticed it or not, but I have a question here? look at my previous post.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #76
Well, the short answer is "no".

There's a way to bring about the same effect, though. Make the new town you want to replace the old town with, import it over the old one using the Import Town feature, and then delete the duplicate.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #77
Were should I make the message when a scenario starts, to say were exactly you are and what is happening? i don't mean the introductury text. What I mean is the moment the scenario starts, but ONLY when you begin it, and not every time you come to the place were you begun.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
There are a couple of ways to handle that, but the simplest way is to put it in the START_SCEN_STATE of your scenario script.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #79
That's what I thought too, but as I didn't find it in the scenario script of the valley of dying things, i thought I maybe was mistaken. Thanks.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #80
I've reached a point in the making of my scenario, were I lack ideas for quests. So what I wanted to ask: Does anybody have an idea for a quest? If yes, I'm really curious to know what. I know making a scenario should be of the makers fantasy, but I really don't know what to do.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #81
Think about scenarios you like and the kind of quests they used, or even the quests from the trilogy and modify them to fit your story.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

I've reached a point in the making of my scenario, were I lack ideas for quests. So what I wanted to ask: Does anybody have an idea for a quest? If yes, I'm really curious to know what. I know making a scenario should be of the makers fantasy, but I really don't know what to do.
Well, if you're in a dangerous place, there's always some distraught family member who wants revenge or something.

The Local Alchemist always wants some hard-to-get herbs.

There's always a few bandits that need to be killed, which a local mayor would be more than happy to hire adventurers for.

And then there's a whole host of other simple ones like this. As Dolphin said - what do you normally find in scenarios?

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #83
Or relate it to the main story line. Is there anything that's needed: an information that is hard to come by, keys that noone knows where to find, things like that.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by ef:

Or relate it to the main story line. Is there anything that's needed: an information that is hard to come by, keys that noone knows where to find, things like that.
That's actually exactly what I want. An old man gives you a quest to see if you are "the chosen ones" and inreturn gives you important information. I only need to get an idea for some quest. (bandits and monster quest i already have, so i don't want to make everything to boring. I thought maybe a test like in avernum 2.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #85
What qualities would one need to be 'the chosen ones'? What is the old man looking for or tries to find out about you? Choose a quest that will test those qualities.

--------------------
Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #86
the things the old man wants to know, aren't really qualities as in avernum 2. that's were the problem actually plays a big role. he wants to know if you can be trusted with the information. i thought the best way to test this, maybe is to bring him something valuable or something like that. i can't come up with something better at the moment.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #87
So the question is: will they use or abuse what they are given? Maybe he could offer them something of lesser value and then wait and observe their actions.

--------------------
Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #88
Thanks to you i got a very good idea for a new quest for the old man to give. Thanks very very VERY much!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #89
maybe these are lame questions, but i wonder about them anyway.

1) did somebody make himself, or does somebody know ere i can find a good working script for teleporting aparty to an other town? And i mean not only teleporting them, but also that there is a flash and sound. i made one myself, but i'd like to see somebody else's. If somebody posts the one he made himself, may I use it?

2) This is a really stupid question, but are the tabs you make in the script really necesarry? i have the feeling I'm doing it all wrong. one tab to much there, one to less there. So is it really necesarry for the computer to understand it?

That was all. I'm going on the 8th of july to the US for three weeks, so I really appreciate it if you you can post quickly. Thanks in advance.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #90
1) I'd do something like this, although I haven't tested it to see if it looks right:
reset_dialog_preset_options(3);
if (run_dialog(1) == 1)
end();

teleport_party(x1,y1,0); // x1 and y1 should be out of sight
move_to_new_town(town,x2,y2); // wherever you want to send them
2. No. Proper spacing and tabs are just to make the script readable. They have no effect. Well, little effect: you need some white space between calls, but it could be spaces, tabs, or retuns, and the sort of formatting you're talking about doesn't matter.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 22:49: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #91
First of all, thanks for responding so quickly. second, thanks for showing me the code. so there is now need in letting the game check if there are four characters. thanks.

The teleport part call should be in a place where the party normally can't get right? like solid stone or something, behind a wall? if yes, does it matter if its out of town boundries? (because what space alse there is to be chosen from in a cave?)

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 23:37: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #92
What I would do:
short i;
i = 0;
while (i < party_size())
{
put_boom_on_char(i,2,short random_shift);
relocate_character(i,short x,short y); //make this off-screen
i = i + 1;
}
move_to_new_town(town,x2,y2);
This creates a one-by-one teleportation effect. If the boom doesn't play the right sound, you can add a play sound call.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #93
Thanks very much, i'll think about which works out best for me. While getting these replies, i was busy creating a cutscene. It worked fine, thanks to kelandon's turorial (thanks Keladon! :D ). What i didn't get though, was the { and } sings. i saw in the VoDT in t1sweetgrove.txt, that they should be put, but were do i put them? I know { goes at the beginning and } at the end, but at an empty space, or after a call, ar maybe in front of a call, i don't know. (Everyone who has an idea for the previous question may still post if he wants!)

EDIT:
now I look at Drakefyre's way of doing the teleportation, I have the feeling my own way wasn't as bad as I thought it was... Well, I'll stille use one of the two already posted.

EDIT 2:
There was an other thing I wanted to ask, but i forgot. That making new creature calls stuff, in a cutscene. i want to get this straight.
i started with this call:

i = 29;//29 is the highest char number in the town
while (char_ok(i))
{i = i + 1 }

After this the creature is created:

put_straight_zap(56,42,9,38,4);
put_boom_on_space(9,38,2,0);
place_monster(9,38,138,0);
set_character_facing(i,4);
set_character_pose(i,0);
run_animation_sound(54);
force_instant_terrain_redraw();

Is made here right, or do i have to change it in some places. I made while using kelamdon's cutscene tutorial.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 07:34: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #94
Hello again,
I don't know why i say this, because I said it already, but tomorrow at about 11 a.m. (Europe time, probably about 5 a.m. in NY) I'm leaving home with my family. direction Schiphol, one of the biggest airports in Europe, located in Holland. i'm going on vaction to the US. I'll be back in three weeks, and I'm hoping to see lots of replies on my question en the previous post (although I doubt that now I said this). Well, see you back in three weeks! :(

Although i like america! :) :D

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #95
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Hello again,
I don't know why i say this, because I said it already, but tomorrow at about 11 a.m. (Europe time, probably about 5 a.m. in NY) I'm leaving home with my family. direction Schiphol, one of the biggest airports in Europe, located in Holland. i'm going on vaction to the US. I'll be back in three weeks, and I'm hoping to see lots of replies on my question en the previous post (although I doubt that now I said this). Well, see you back in three weeks! :(

Although i like america! :) :D

Happy holiday!

Anyway, I don't have my teleport call availiable at the moment, so I can't post it.

Sorry.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #96
Since the spacing/tabbing was mentioned…

My scripts will not work if I use tabs. I get "invalid symbol in line X". If I take out the tabs everything works fine. Leaving lines separating each call, but having everything touching the left margin works as it's supposed to. Existing scripts work with the spaces/tabs, but my scripts will not allow it.

Any thoughts why this may be?
I'm using Simpletext, if that has something to do with it.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 07:47: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #97
Dolphin:

If you're on windows, try using Crimson Editor. I haven't had any problems like that with Crimson. It's actually really good with Avernumscript.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #98
Dolphin - I'd imagine it is an issue with SimpleText and tabbing, and I'd try to download BBEdit Lite and see if that helps.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #99
since I haven't left yet, this is my advice.
Since you said you use simpletext, you use Mac. Am I right? Of course. there is no simpletext for Windows. I stopt using simpletext because I found tabs not very clear. I'm now using BBEdit. There is a free version: version 6.1.2. I highly recommend this program over simpletext. Click on the link below, And on the left side somewhere of the screen that will hopefully pop up, You'll see an option to download. try, it. its free!

(and don't forget to fill this topic up while I'm not here! :) :D :) See you guys!)

Macupdate: BBEdit lite 6.1.2

EDIT:
I see Drakey got in before me. Well, doesn't matter.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 08:39: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages