Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #150
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

remove screen stretching plz
I'd love to, but I don't know how to.

Your post with the script has some very long strings. Get rid of them.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #151
OK, its short again. thanks for saying how.

There are some strange things in the dialogs I created. You'd have a node like this:

begintalknode 4;
state = 3;
personality = 29;
nextstate = -1;
condition = get_flag(5,0) == 0;
question = "Well of course!";
text1 = "_answer._";
code =
set_flag(5,0,1);
toggle_quest(1,1);
break;
followed by an other node:

(These node are seperated from each other by about six other nodes)

begintalknode 10;
state = 3;
personality = 29;
nextstate = -1;
condition = get_flag(5,0) == 0;
question = "No.";
text1 = "_answer._";
Now the thing is, if you talk to the person here, he gives you a quest. You can accept it or not.No matter what you click, you'll alway get the second option. (so if you clicked yes, you'll always get no and vice versa).

In the mean time I changed the condition of the second node displayed here to (5,11) and a set_flag(5,11,1) call in the first node displayed. I was just wondering what caused this to happen.

EDIT:
I've a problem with special items. The game says I got a special item, but it isn't listed in the special item menu. How come?

EDIT 2:
Don't mind that last problem with the special items, i solved it already.

EDIT 3:
When fighting against my custom made creatures, I saw that the priests and mages can't cast spelle. I saw in the editor doc's, that if I put cr_what_stat_adjust in the creature definition thing in the scenario data script, its should cast spells. So were exactly do i put it in the creature definition script? Any place I want, or is there a particulair order?
Then an other thing, the doc's said this works for mage's. Also for priests?

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 08:29: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #152
You can put it anywhere in the creature definition.

I strongly recommend that you try out some things before asking questions. I mean, you could just try it and see if it works.

The dialogue thing is a little hard to understand, but is it working now that you've changed things?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #153
Everything I wrote about I did try out. the dialogue thing works. but the problem with the creature script doesn't. The game simply doesn't understand it. It could be that I didn't understand the call and simply didn't give it the right parameters. Since I registered BoA I try to figure out every problem the game encounters myself first, and then I ask it here.

Bu you can use the call cr_what_stat_adjust also for priests? How do i know the game really gives ONLY mage spells or priest spells and not priest AND mage spells?

Now I think of it, in the doc's, they mentioned an other call to go with this call. I can't remember it at the moment, put it was in the same paragraph. With the custum creature scripts. Do I need to use this call and what does it do? that may be the problem the game encountered. I'll give it a try and EDIT this post when I got the results (unless somebody already gives them).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #154
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

Bu you can use the call cr_what_stat_adjust also for priests? How do i know the game really gives ONLY mage spells or priest spells and not priest AND mage spells?
What you have to do is give it Mage Spells skill if it's a mage, or Priest Spells skill if it's a priest. For example, to make a mage which can cast all mage spells up to level 8, include the following lines:

cr_what_stat_adjust 1 = 11;
cr_amount_stat_adjust 1 = 8;
The reason for the number 11 is that Mage Spells is skill number 11. You can find this out from the Appendices.

To make a priest that can cast all priest spells up to level 15, include the following lines:

cr_what_stat_adjust 1 = 12;
cr_amount_stat_adjust 1 = 15;
Again, the 12 is because Priest Spells is skill number 12.

Now, if you want to make a monster that can cast mage spells up to level 8 *and* priest spells up to level 15, you can use two different stat adjusts, like so:

cr_what_stat_adjust 1 = 11;
cr_amount_stat_adjust 1 = 8;
cr_what_stat_adjust 2 = 12;
cr_amount_stat_adjust 2 = 15;
Each monster can have up to 4 different statistics adjusted in this way, by the way. Just follow the pattern above, with cr_what_stat_adjust 3 and so on.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #155
Many thanks thuryl. i already was wondering I probably had to include the cr_amount_stat_adjust. I forgot that. or actually, i just didn't understand what the doc's meant.

Thanks.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #156
Hello again,

I've encountered a rather strange problem. The game claims I everytime I come near a custom made graphic (stairs) that it doesn't exist. i've looked about a hudred times, and the graphic really is there. i've also looked at the scenario data script, and all seems right. What can the problem be?

An other thing I was wondering about, were the text baloons that appear over peoples heads in towns. how do i get them there? I put in the townscript in the appropiate place these calls, but Only one of the two I gave per person appears. Then I saw in the townscript of VoDT, that there are these "if" sentences that Jeff placed before every single add_(something) call. I did that to in my script, but now the balloons don't appear all together.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #157
About the custom objects script: make sure you've defined both te_which_sheet and te_which_icon. If you haven't, define them both. Also, if you're on Windows, make sure the graphic has the right name: G500.bmp or whatever the number is, or on Mac, that you have a properly formatted cmg file.

About the text bubbles: you need to clear a text bubble before you can display a new one, and you need to refresh the screen in order for any change to show up. Also you need to pause so that someone can read the bubble. That means that putting a single text bubble on the screen usually looks like this:

text_bubble_on_char(7,"");
text_bubble_on_char(7,"What is it, Talas?");
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
pause(15);

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 15:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #158
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

About the custom objects script: make sure you've defined both te_which_sheet and te_which_icon. If you haven't, define them both. Also, if you're on Windows, make sure the graphic has the right name: G500.bmp or whatever the number is, or on Mac, that you have a properly formatted cmg file.

About the text bubbles: you need to clear a text bubble before you can display a new one, and you need to refresh the screen in order for any change to show up. Also you need to pause so that someone can read the bubble. That means that putting a single text bubble on the screen usually looks like this:

text_bubble_on_char(7,"");
text_bubble_on_char(7,"What is it, Talas?");
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
pause(15);

About the custom graphics: Apparently its only the graphics of these stairs that don't work. All other graphics (creatures, beds, chairs) do work. That's why I don't understand this. I'm on a mac. Previously, it all worked, so I find this really strange. I defind both the sheet and icon.

About the txet bubbles. What, you showed me, is that also for use when NOT in a cutscene? For example: take the Sweetgrove.txt (or something) file out of VoDT, and this is what it says:

beginstate START_STATE;
if (get_flag(1,9) == 0) {
if (get_ran(1,0,100) < 7)
text_bubble_on_char(34,"Must escape.");

text_bubble_on_char(11,"Too much work.");
text_bubble_on_char(11,"How can we be safe?");
}
text_bubble_on_char(17,"Cough.");

text_bubble_on_char(16,"Adventurers!");
text_bubble_on_char(16,"Wow!");
It may be so, that I simply don't understand what's happening in this piece of the scipt, and Therefor easily can make mistakes.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #159
Jeff was making some bubbles appear randomly above people's heads when you walk around. I guess I missed that you were trying to do that also.

Since the bubbles get cleared every turn, you don't have to insert the extra line to clear them, and since stepping updates the screen, you don't need the force_instant_terrain_redraw, and since they already stay on the screen for a reasonable amount of time, you don't need the pause.

Do you understand the get_ran and get_flag calls? You don't want a get_flag call in your own town's START_STATE, probably, but you do want a get_ran unless you want the bubbles to appear every turn.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 23:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #160
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Do you understand the get_ran and get_flag calls? You don't want a get_flag call in your own town's START_STATE, probably, but you do want a get_ran unless you want the bubbles to appear every turn.
I think that was probably the point. I didn't understand a thing of what they were for. Can you explain to me in some way what this bit of code does, and what you eventually see in the game?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #161
Never mind, I solved it already. could you, however, still show me how it works?

EDIT:
How many shops can you exactly have in your scenario? I'm now at shop 16, that's 17 shops. but from about shop 10, it doesn't do anything anymore. You get into shop mode, and there is nothing to buy, although I put the shops in the scenario script and added all kinds of items. What do you think is the fault here?

[ Sunday, August 07, 2005 04:23: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #162
A scenario can have up to 130 shops. Are you sure the shops you're calling are the same shop numbers as the shops you've added items to? Double-check.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #163
STUPID ME!!

OK. i found the problem. All the shops and the numbers and so on were fine, OK, nothing wrong. It crossed my mind not long ago, that I maybe should create a new party, enter the scenario again, and see what happens, and indeed. All the problems were solved when I entered shop mode. I could purchase things.

anyway Thuryl, thanks for telling me the amount of shops I can have, but I think I should test it first better. That's probably the problem when making a slightly different .bas file and instering it in the scenario folder: the saved games get all messed up.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #164
This problem isn't urgent, because I already solved it in some way.

I made this castle entrance gate between to walls of mountains. when you set the direction of entrance with these small arrows in the editor, You come in in the gate at th wrong side. So say, you come from the north. when you enter, you appear on the south side, even though the arrows are placed correctly.
However, when you come from the south side, you enter in the town in the south side. i already solved this by changing the positions of the arrows, but I still wonder how this could happen.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #165
Sometimes, you just need to read the docs. For town entrance stuff, open the docs, find section 1.7, and read the stuff under the heading "Enter Town Starting Position." The gist of it is that the direction you enter the town from can be counterintuitive.

As far as the text bubble stuff, you should look up the get_flag and get_ran calls in the Appendices. After you read that, what's going on in the START_STATE should be fairly obvious. If you want to know what it looks like in the game, enter VoDT with a party and walk around in the first town for a little bit. You should see text bubbles.

If any of this still doesn't make sense, I can explain it.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #166
I looked at the doc's already before I posted the post, and still I don't understand what it exactly does in the start_state script.

As for the entries, maybe you don't exactly understand the problem. I've probably written it to vague. In the editor (the normal one) you have a flat view on the world. The gate is a road, going from north to south. I placed the entry arrows as they would make sense. All the arrows pointing in the direction of the closed gates. Now, when I enter the castle from the north, the party appears on the south side, which, of course, certainly isn't what I want it to do. when you enter from the south however, I appear on the south, as it should be.

To solve this, I swapped the north and south arrows. now, when you enter from the north, You enter on the north side, but the party looks in exactly the opposite direction. I fear, hoever, that if i would enter on the south side, i would appear on the north side. I didn't test this though, as I can't go through the gates yet.

is this maybe clearer?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #167
I'm not sure how that explanation is any different from the explanation that you gave before. Regardless, I think the problem is that you're misunderstanding either which part of the castle you're entering from or which arrow means which direction. I have no idea what else could be the problem.

As far as the START_STATE thing, what part don't you understand? The game picks a random number from 1 to 100 for each of those text bubbles, and if the number is below 7, the text bubble pops up. This has the effect of making the bubbles appear occasionally over the characters' heads. If the flag (1,7) is set, some bubbles don't get displayed.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #168
Thanks, I do understand the START_STATE thing now better. i simply didn't understand how it all functioned. Now i do understand.

what do you think? Shall I wait until more answers come about the castle entry thing, or should I just email jeff about it?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #169
An outdoor town entrance rectangle *must* be at least 3x3 in size for the game to process town entry points correctly. The way you're describing it, it sounds like you've just made your town entry a single space.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #170
Ooooooh. OK Thanks Thuryl, its indeed 1x1. I'll chnage it now. I'll post soon about if it works.

EDIT:
OK Thuryl. Thanks very much. You were right. An other crisis solved...

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 04:12: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #171
Is it possible to use cutscene calls like put_boom_on_spot in the outdoors? i want to try to simulate some sort of an attack on a city, but seen from outside. if its not possible, its also no drama, cause I didn't plan to do this in the first place.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #172
quote:
Originally written in the BoA docs:
Animation and SFX Functions

There are a variety of special effects that can be put on characters and terrain spots. Once the effects are placed, to actually display the animation, call run_animation or run_animation_sound. All of the available effects, explosions, and sparkles are listed in the appendices.
None of these calls have any effect outdoors.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #173
You can do this by making a town that simulates the outdoors.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #174
As you can see demonstrated in, for example, town 5 in Bahssikava (in the northwest corner).

--------------------

Pages