Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #175
Okay, thanks. i'll look at town 5 then. I think I'm understanding what you guys mean, but I'll take a look anyway.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #176
This is a rather irritaing problem I have here, and it deals with entering and leaving towns. When you leave a town and enter it again, all thing are as they should be when you enetr it for the first time. Now I have this problem too. when you leave a certain town, everything changes again and becomes as it once was when you didn't enter the town. now how can I make sure, that if i enter that town a second time after leaving it, there are absolutely no changes to terrain and certain creatures? All i could come up with, is a special node you step on when entering the town, which sets all the things you once already had set, to how it was before you left town. Are there any other suggetions, or is this the only way of doing it.

EDIT:
I almost forgot to thank you two, kelandon and drakefyre, for the "outdoor simulation." I understood it and immedtialy made something similair. now I can make that big cutscnene fight, to give the scenario some more pep.

[ Tuesday, August 09, 2005 08:11: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #177
I have little idea what you're talking about, but I'll take a stab at it. Every time an area (town or outdoor section) is loaded, the floors and terrain are reloaded from what you see in the editor, so anything done by set_terrain reverts to the original.

If you want to make a permanent change, you have to set a flag and check that flag in the town's INIT_STATE, and if the flag is set, run through the same set_terrain changes as before. (You can see a somewhat complicated example of this in the Deeps and in the Catacombs in Bahssikava.)

Killed creatures stay dead, but creatures that have moved around, appeared or disappeared, or other things lings that also reset, so you have to do the same thing.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #178
For somebody who has little idea what I'm talking about, you gave an excellent solution I'd probably never come up with. Again, thanks.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #179
i did what you suggested, and it all works fine now. Everything I wanted to happen, happend after I put it all in that INIT_STATE, so again, Thanks very much.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #180
There is this strange thing with my custom made graphics: When in the game, you can wlk strait trough them. How can I solve this?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #181
What type of graphics (creature, terrain, item, etc.) and how did you define it in its script?

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #182
The graphic itself isn't the problem. You need to check your custom objects script and make sure your custom terrain has the correct te_move_block properties, or that you're importing from a terrain that does.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #183
I suspected the script being the problem. There was probably something I missed when defining the terrain. I'll llok at this te_block thing. Anyway, Thanks.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #184
I've a problem with a curscene I juyst made. The moment the cutscene begins, the playing screen (not the hole screen, only the small field where you can see what happens) turns black, and the game freezes.
i thought it maybe had to do with the first calls:

force_view_center(45,34);
force_instant_terrain_redraw();
pause(10);

text_bubble_on_char(7,"Today...");
pause(15);

text_bubble_on_char(7,"");
text_bubble_on_char(7,"is the day...");
pause(20);

text_bubble_on_char(7,"the Empire shall pay,");
pause(20);

text_bubble_on_char(7,"for ruining Riverrod...");
pause(20);

text_bubble_on_char(7,"and banning me.");
pause(20);
The cutscene is about ten times longer and still isn't finished. maybe somebody can figure out what's the problem? My othr cutscene i made does work, so this is not the first one.

EDIT:
I discovered that the force_view_center is the call that makes the screen go black. i suppose that you can't do anything (the gamne freezes) becuase of a running cutscene, right? How he hell do i solve this! I'm getting VERY irritated!

[ Thursday, August 11, 2005 02:54: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #185
Are you sure about the location that you have told it to center the view on is really the one you want? You aren't doing this in a 32 x 32 town or something are you?

And yes, the game should ignore all input while the cutscene runs, but the cutscene should end after a while and the game should go back to normal. I note that you have some very long pauses there (compared to what I normally use), maybe for testing at least you'll want some shorter ones. Also if the scenario is going to have lots of use of cutscenes, a set cutscene speed ability like Kelandon and TM have used would really come in handy to you and the player.

A note: if the screen is staying black, how about some print_num() calls put in the cutscene code, so that you know how far it has gotten?

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #186
I'm doing this in a 64 x 64 town, and I chcked several times if the view indeed isn't in black space.

What is that what TM and kelandon are using? i never heard of it. What you suggested may be a good thng to do, with the print string things. I'll see if I use it.

this small piece I showed you, is only a very small piece. Only the talking which that bit a the beginning is about 3 times longer. then there comes another long part and.... I wouldn't tell you how long it is, simply because its very long.

Do you have any idea what might be the problem? I indeed noticed that the force_vie_center call is the problem that makes everything black, but I don't understand why it does that. Do you?

EDIT:
You remark about the pauses: Some are rather long indeed, but that's because creatures talk here. When walking the pauses are about 3 - 5.

[ Thursday, August 11, 2005 04:24: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #187
What TM and Kelandon have done is to give the party members a special ability that allow the user to regulate the length of the pauses used in cutscenes. Basically the cutscenes derive the pause length from the value stored in an SDF and the custom ability can change that SDF so that the player can set the cutscenes to go faster or slower as desired.

The whole reason for the print_num() calls is so that you can tell how far the cutscene has progressed even if your not able to see anything meaningful on the screen.
I really have no idea what the problem is; I've just told you how I would try to debug it.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #188
I think I'll indeed insert these pint_num things you mentioned, so i indeed can see how far the cutscene is. Maybe that way i can also see when the blackness disappears.

I'll post later on to tell what happend.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #189
That didn't help me much. I noticed though, that everything that happens before the force_view_center, runs fine and as it should be (I made a small conversation between the party members to see what will happen). Everything after the force_view_center freezes. How do i know it freezes? it doesn't even print any nimber in the text area! i have to quit the program with command-option-shift-esc in order to get something going again. Last time my hole computer just got stuck. I really don't know what's happening. I think I'll leave the hole thing out if it isn't going to work soon.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #190
In all likelihood, you're setting the view center outside what the party can view at the moment, so you need to use the call set_total_visibility to allow them to see it.

The game isn't freezing — if you waited long enough, the cut scene would end.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #191
So what you mean is, that i shouldn't use the call force_view_center, because that ONLY displays what's in their field of view at THAT moment? So the other call would do the trick I understand.

the strange thing was, though, that although I added almost everywhere tye calls print_num, and nowhere numbers where sisplayed. or didn't I understand it correctly?

EDIT:
I feel so bloody stupid. I guess others also had such problems, and I'm not the only one. Kelandon, if you weren't here, I don't know if I would have finished this scenario. thanks very much. The cutscene looks good (or at least what I made untill now. Its certainly not yet finished).

[ Thursday, August 11, 2005 08:07: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #192
You need to do both.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #193
Is it possible to enter a town in an outdoor section and to leave a town in an other outdoor section?

By the way, I was making a terrainscript, by which if you pull a lever, a cave wall will dissappear. the game says something about a bad term in expression in line 64. Does somebody know what's wrong?

beginstate STEP_INTO_SPOT_STATE;
reset_dialog();
add_dialog_str(0,"This lever stands here next to the tunnel entrance. You really don't see something it could open or something. Try anyway?",0);
add_dialog_choice(0,"Leave it");
add_dialog_choice(1,"Pull and see what happens");
choice = run_dialog(0);
if (choice == 1)
end();

flip_terrain(my_loc_x(),my_loc_y());
play_sound(106);
play_sound(99);
print_str_color("You hear the sounds of chains and grinding gears.",2);

if ((get_memory_cell(0) > 0) || (get_memory_cell(1) > 0 || (get_memory_cell(2) > 0))
set_terrain(get_memory_cell(0),get_memory_cell(1),get_memory_cell(2));

if ((get_memory_cell(3) > 0) || (get_memory_cell(4) > 0) || (get_memory_cell(5) > 0))
set_terrain(get_memory_cell(3),get_memory_cell(4),get_memory_cell(5));

if ((get_memory_cell(6) > 0) || (get_memory_cell(7) > 0)) {
if (get_flag(get_memory_cell(6),get_memory_cell(7)) == 0)
set_flag(get_memory_cell(6),get_memory_cell(7),1);
else set_flag(get_memory_cell(6),get_memory_cell(7),0);
}
break;
(Line 64 is at the first set_terrain call) I really hope you're not going to tell me that doing this is impossible.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #194
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

Is it possible to enter a town in an outdoor section and to leave a town in an other outdoor section?
Yes. Use change_outdoor_location.

The offending line is this one:
if ((get_memory_cell(0) > 0) || (get_memory_cell(1) > 0 || (get_memory_cell(2) > 0)) If you look closely, you'll notice you're missing an end parenthesis.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #195
OK, thanks. Again I learned something new.

EDIT: i forgot to ask, where do i put the end(); call exactly? (I know, stupid question. But I couldn't find an end(); call in the orinial doorlever.txt terrainscript.)

[ Friday, August 12, 2005 08:48: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #196
As far as I can tell, the end call is good where it is.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #197
Ah, the end parenthesis . i read to hasty again. When I saw end, I immediatly thought the end call. No, I get it now. Thanks very much. In the menatime, while waiting for your reply, I came across it myself. Anyway, thanks.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #198
So I got everything to work, accept one thing. Its in the same cave that lever stands with which the problem was.

*** WARING: potential spoiler ***

its not that bad this spoiler, because by the time this scenario is finished it will be already forgotten. Still, you where warned.

In that same cave, there is a wall that dissappears. On one side there is the lever, on the other side a special node. When you step on the special node and have a nephil in your party, the wall slides open, revealing the other side. The strange thing is, that the wall is aleady open when entering the cave. How can this be? A special node is activated when you step on the special rectangle, yes? I've put nothing in the INIT or START states.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #199
Did you make sure that you actually remembered to place the wall in the town in the first place? Assuming you did, post your entire town script for that town so we can take a look at what might be going on.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages