Orb of thralni

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Orb of thralni
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
he,

I'm writing this REALLY COOL and GOOD.... Well, at least I think its REALLY COOL and GOOD!!!

as for my question, does somebody know the item number of the orb of Thralni? I need it for the scenario. The problem is also that I can not find a list of items like these. if there is a way to get into the Avernum 3 scripts, I could possibly get this crucial item number.

your kind and friendly steward on this flight of KLM is.... OK. No more pizza's for me at midnight.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 54
Profile #1
There isn't an Orb of Thralni in the default item selection, but you can make one yourself. Create a custom item with ability 213, and give it a strength of about 5.

(683)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
You can also use the Orb of Flight out of the Custom Objects Script Base.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
thanks to all who have replied, I'm very grateful.

(By the way, I'm using this call: move_to_new_town
But it need 4 things after it, like this:

move_to_new_town(Probably town number, a number, a number, a number);

I already figured out that the first number is the town number. I think that two of the other three are probably x and y coordinates. the last number I really don't know. if you ever used this call, could you explain me how to do it?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
You know, the editor comes with documentation. You can look up any of the calls in the Appendices.

quote:
void move_to_new_town(short new_town,short loc_x,short loc_y) - Immediately takes the party out of combat mode and moves them to town new_town, starting at {loc_x,loc,y}. This call will not work when called outdoors.
So as you can see, it only needs 3 arguments, not 4. The first, as you said, is the town number, and the next two are the X and Y coordinates to move the party to.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
He! why didn't I see that one! next time I think I will look more carefully. Thanks very much for pointing this out to me.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
And then there's also the BoA Script Reference, which I find much easier to use because it allows me to scroll and use the back button to get to a master list.

[ Sunday, June 19, 2005 08:22: Message edited by: Formerly I ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
But can I find there also a good description of what its for?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
It duplicates all the information in the Appendices, occasionally edited by people like me in order to make it more clear.

People don't edit it as much as they should. Some of the writing in the Appendices is pretty terrible.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
I wanted to ask this, because I didn't really understand the docs: Does the call

teleport_party

also function when you want the party to teleport nit to a different location in the same town, but to another town? If not, which call should I use?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
The call teleport_party doesn't have a parameter for a new town, so no, you can't use it for that purpose. Use the call that you've already mentioned, move_to_new_town.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
A word of warning: move_to_new_town can ONLY be called by stepping into a special rectangle (the things that show up as blue rectangles in the editor). You can't call it from a terrain script, a creature script, the START_STATE, or anything else.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5963
Profile #12
quote:
Some of the writing in the Appendices is pretty terrible.
True enough. I've been having a lot of trouble with custom terrain; and my dad tried replicating the example in the Appendicies. It had less of a result than my efforts did.

--------------------
The martian squirrel invasion is comming...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
Thanks, now I know more about the teleportation calls. there remains just one thing. if I use the call move_to_new_town, can I have a teleportation flash? Do i have to add extra calls like put_effect_on_char and run_sound 9or something like that)?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
Since there are no parameters for it within move_to_new_town, you will need extra calls for that sort of thing.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
the ones that have read my questions, can conclude that I'm not a hero in scripting. now i encounter another annoying problem. I searched in the docs and found something about my problem, but I didn't quite get it. My problem: I have this cave, which appears only when a SDF flag is set to 1. I used the call
set_town_visibility(7,1) (Town 7 will be visible). Now i don't know ere to write this call. In the docs this is explained in the chapter about editing towns. So do I put it in the townscript of town 7, or in an other script?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #16
Okay, if you want to hide a town for part of the game and then show it at another point in time, you have to get in the Editor, open up the "Town Details" box, look on the right side, and find "Town is Hidden". Set that to one.

Then, at the point in your scenario where you want the party to learn of the town's existence, put the call, "set_town_visibility(townx,1);", where townx is the town the party discovers.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
So I don't put it in the townscript or whatever script, but, let's say that the party when talking to someone learns about the place where it is, I put the call set_town_visibility In the talking node where the party learns about this. Did i gor this straight?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Yes. Put the call in the place where you want it to happen.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
just wanted to say thanks to kelandon...

and bug you with another question. I try to put beam projectors. how do I get those things on directly when the party enters the twon where the beam projectors are (so how does the power source automaticaly switch on upon enetring town) and how can the party manually turn the beam projectors of.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Beam projectors are a problem. I would advise against trying to do anything fancy with them.

That said, turn them on by putting a lit power source (terrain number 384) next to one and going to Town Details, and under Advanced Details, setting Beam Type to 1 or 2.

The beam from a projector will turn off when the power source next to it turns off, which it will never do on its own. You must always use a call to do this. You could put the specobj script on it and then pop up a dialog asking if the party wanted to turn of the projector, and if so, call a set_terrain to change the terrain to 388, for instance.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
Many thanks to Manhood typing Kelandon. I will try to do that.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
i still didn't try it in the game, but i found ways to do it. With SDF's. Thanks for the advice!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
I have looked in the docs. i searched the forum. Still, I can't find a way, to put a costum item in the resource file "terrain graphics." Now I think of it, can I actually modify this resource file? (I hope you can, because I would have no clue of how to let the editor know that I have a costum terrain type I want to put in the scenario). And I really didn't find anything about this in the docs! :confused:

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
You're not supposed to modify the game's resources. You need to create a custom graphics file -- check out Section 4 of the editor documentation.

To make custom terrains and items that appear in the game, though, you also need a custom objects script -- check out Chapter 2.2 of the editor documentation.

The best way to learn how to do things you're unsure of is to poke around inside the folders of existing scenarios by other people, and see how they work.

[ Thursday, June 23, 2005 06:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------

Pages