post-nuclear setting, would it be possible?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: post-nuclear setting, would it be possible?
Apprentice
Member # 13034
Profile #0
hello all!
being a fan of rpgs in general, but most remarkably of wasteland and fallout, i was wondering if it would be possible to create a fallouty scenario with blades' editor.
i haven't taken a look to the program yet, so, before trying i'm asking you :)
do you think it is possible?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #1
Probably, but it would be with magic. You can't disable the magic. (I'm not sure if there is a way to prevent players from using it.)

It would also have little oddities. For example, if you wanted a gun which can run out of ammunition, you would have to tell the game that it's a crossbow (or a bow).

BoE and BoA are best for fantasy settings. If you wanted a fantasy fallout, it's probably possible.

Incidentally, there is a BoE scenario called Nightfall which is based on an Asimov book. BoE is now open source (and hence free), so you could try that out to see if it is the type of scenario you would like to make.

And remember that BoA can do more things than BoE.

In case you don't know:
BoE = Blades of Exile
BoA = Blades of Avernum
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
The only way to prevent the player from using magic, is by taking all his priest and mage skills from him, which, I think, can be done very easily. If I'm not mistaken there are calls for exactly this: you just set both skills to 0. An alternative would be to deliver a prefab party with the scenario.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #3
Or, just take away all the spells the party know. There are many ways to stop the party using magic, so don't worry about that.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #4
TM's LP removed magic. I'm not sure what he used, but try asking him.

--------------------
"Fear that which mortality has rejected" -Galvin Magnus
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Kelandon wrote LP, not TM. I'm not sure either of them will thank you for confusing them for each other. :P

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
TM did do it in Avatar. Kel actually did it to a whole party in LP though, and returned it at the end which I thought was nice of him. Just make two loops, one to go through the party and one to go through the 19 spells, setting them all to 0. Not that tough (See the "Prefab Party" code snippet I posted at the Blades Forge for an idea of how to overhaul the party. Specifically the spell loop (easily adapted to a full party))

The main barrier to a Fallout kind of setting would be graphics, I think. The engine isn't a big deal; bows turn into guns and arrows turn into bullets, crossbows turn into heavy guns and bolts turn into missiles or something, throwing weapons become grenades and such, and melee weapons become primitive improv bashing tools. Boom-- you're done.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
I think the most difficult obstacle in creating a futuristic scenario is that custom graphics are required to create a "realistic" atmosphere.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Funkadelic:

quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Kelandon wrote LP, not TM. I'm not sure either of them will thank you for confusing them for each other. :P

*points to sig*

As has been said, the main problem would be the graphics. The engine manipulation wouldn't be too bad; new abilities are directly supported, and items can add even more versatile new abilities.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #9
TM made these a while ago. They should help.
Streets, a sink, and a TV with various channels:

IMAGE(http://tyranicus.dreamhosters.com/urban.bmp)

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 13034
Profile #10
thanks for the suggestions :)
i'll try something as soon as i get some basics on using BoA. as for now, i'm only fancing.
so, shouldn't magic be disabled, is there a chance to get their name and description changed? for example that would be changing a AoE damage spell like the fireball in a AoE item such as a hand grenade. of course i know it wouldn't be realistic having grenades based on how much MP you have, but this is just a very start of some kind of brainstorming on how things should become.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
You can't change the names of the default spells, but you can add custom spells easily enough. Lots of scenarios do this, including one of mine (Exodus).

Besides, a grenade should be an item, and those are very straightforward to add.

[ Monday, January 07, 2008 12:20: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00