Erika, fungus and a record to set straight.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Erika, fungus and a record to set straight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
From an older topic:

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

You know, Erika takes credit for making the fungus glow, but someone else (I forget who) says that the fungus was already glowing before they got there. Erika may just be an egomaniac, or possibly she did some work at the Tower of Magi that enhanced the glowing effect — the message upon entering the Tower's botanical room indicates that the mages were responsible for significant crop modification.

I think I have all this written down somewhere.

EDIT: Ah. Specifically, Erika in A1 says, "These passages wouldn't even be lit if I hadn't created the fungi that emit light, and I don't even get credit! And don't get me started on the mushrooms!" She adds, "The mushrooms down here? That are edible, nourishing, and grow with only the slightest light? I created them!"

However, Solberg says, "It was [Erika] that created the strain of mushrooms that grow quickly and are so nourishing, and other special plants as well," and adds, "Erika created the trees that grow in stone, so we could have a meager supply of wood. She summoned down several plants from above, and changed them so they'd grow down here. The one thing she didn't make was the glowing fungus on the cave ceilings. It's amazing, magical stuff, and was already here when the Empire found these caves."

This was discussed for a while, but beyond the conclusions that either a) Erika is a self-aggrandizing liar, b) Solberg is making a mischievous jab at her greatest pride, c) the Vahnatai Did It™, and humans are arrogant as a rule or d) Jeff didn't take notes and messed it all up, we didn't really establish what had happened.

Since Erika specifically complained that she is not credited, I get the sense that this is deliberate (against d). Solberg doesn't have a grudge against Erika (*she* didn't summon demons), and no reason to lie (against b). Erika, however, has accomplished so much that she doesn't need to steal glory (against a).

It's a trivial issue, but it's always nagged at me for some reason. So I'm asking Jeff:

Who made the glowing fungus in Avernum? If it wasn't Erika, why does she claim to have done it? If it was, why does Solberg claim she didn't?

Since I don't know how often he comes here outside of BoA or Geneforge these days, I'll probably email him, too.

[ Monday, November 27, 2006 22:03: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #1
Also, I'm sure that somebody other than Solberg claims that the passages were let before humans reached Avernum/Exile... possibly even Erika in another game.

I'm going to comsult the games right now, and get back later if I find quotes.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #2
I'd say Erika had been working on underground flora from long before being exiled, or, if not, she knew something about it. Maybe she did it alone, maybe she had help from some other archmages.
Why so? There was an Erika in the Quartet (not Triad here) of Skylark Vale School of Magery. Just see the signs at the NE corner of the Lecture Halls in the VoDT scenario (town #12). And there are cave trees in the caves under the Vale, which isn't a part of Exile.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
How did the Vahnatai see in the caves then? If you look at Vahnatai lands in Avernum 2 compared to Avernum lands, there's a whole lot more glowy stuff down there.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
It's possible that A and B are both true. There may have been some glowing fungus, but Erika made more of it or improved it. Yes, her claims are slightly inflated, but Erika isn't one for the subtle distinctions of "light but not enough light" and "plenty of light." Solberg is exactly the sort of pedant who would be picky.

—Alorael, whose money is on D. In fact, who created the fungus probably correlates with dragon genders, and both are inextricably bound up in what will have happened last year as of next Tuesday. Richard White is omnipresent!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #5
Alorael is right! Erika's claim that she "created" the fungus light is false. The Vahnatai created the fungus, she just made more for our caves! Now mind you that this was a huge feat. It took Rentar-Ihrno and the Council to create the original fungus. I hope that this helps clear the confusion! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Solberg: As an unrelated side-note, is your signature a quote from A4? Because I wouldn't mind knowing what happened to Cheeseball...

[ Tuesday, November 28, 2006 06:41: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Cheeseball is not mentioned, as far as I rememeber, in A4. He definitely doesn't appear. Much to my dismay.

[ Tuesday, November 28, 2006 06:43: Message edited by: Mussolini xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
There is more evidence -- but it's on both sides! In E2, Patrick says of the Vahnatai:

"It is their magic that created the glowing fungus that gives us light, and thus life."

In A2 he says "our" instead of "their" due to the insertion of a question talking about magic in general -- it is not actually asserting that Exile created the fungus.

Maxfield and X in A4 talk about refining the glowing fungus, but that doesn't mean much at all.

On the other hand, A4 also has an area description for the Tower remains that says "All of the plants that make life in the underworld livable, the glowing fungus, the trees, the giant, edible mushrooms, they were created here."

Also, early in the game: "Early in the history of Avernum, ingenious wizards created a fungus that glows with a soft green light. It spread, with help, to the ceilings and walls of every cavern in this land."

In ZKR, Seletine says:
"Your way will be lit by glowing green fungus in the ceiling. This was created in the Tower of Magi."
However, this is of questionable canonicity since Seletine also talks about the Tower of Magi having already been rebuilt, which it wasn't.

So we have, for the Vahnatai:
E1 - Solberg
A1 - Solberg
E2 - Patrick

And for Avernum:
E1 - Erika
A1 - Erika
A4 - Descriptions
ZKR - Seletine (questionable)

EDIT: Solberg, I'm all for RPs but please don't mix fabricated fantasy in serious discussions about canon. There is nothing to suggest that Rentar-Ihrno or the Council created the fungus, and there are a number of facts that make that sound extremely unlikely.

[ Tuesday, November 28, 2006 06:56: Message edited by: Charged Slartile ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #9
I appologize for being 'inconsistent'. To be truthfull, you are all reading too much into this! Jeff clearly got mixed up in the story. This is hardly the first instance of inconsistancies in the storyline. I was only trying to spice it up a little. If the truth is what you really want, well there it is! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #10
Pfft. Compared to gender-changing dragons, this is nothing.

--------------------
My daddy was a First Edition thief. It runs in the family.
- Haley (OotS #8)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
I don't suppose anyone has asked Jeff to release a series of patches that would clear said matters up?
There are corrections between printings of books... why not take a little time and correct continuity?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin does not volunteer.
Typical.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Continuity is rarely affected by new editions of books. The exception would be the famous "retcon" technique, which I would assume causes as much controversy as it resolves.

—Alorael, who doesn't think Solberg's quote comes from any game. Read it carefully. The choice is either both living or both dying/disappearing. What kind of choice is that, and what is Solberg supposed to be implying?
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #13
quote:
—Alorael, who doesn't think Solberg's quote comes from any game. Read it carefully. The choice is either both living or both dying/disappearing. What kind of choice is that, and what is Solberg supposed to be implying?[/QB]
My sig is not a quote (persay), but I got some of the context from Solberg in A4! ;) When you ask him to teach you spells, he looks at his withered hands and thinks about what he has done to himself. :( Since I have taken it upon myself to be Solberg these last 5 years, I have added some of my own personality into this role! :D
I appologize for leading anyone astray and I'll try to compose myself in future conversations. (And now for my trademark cool symbols!) :cool:

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
So the implication is that Solberg killed himself to get rid of Cheeseball, then came back to life?

?_?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I think you want "get rid of him or die" instead of what you have. Or maybe "keep him or live," but that's a very odd way to say it.

—Alorael, who also supposes that Solberg could be so sick of his familiar that two deaths was preferable to none. You never know when those really old mages are going to fall over the edge into the madness that seems to get all powerful wizards eventually.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Charged Slartile:

So the implication is that Solberg killed himself to get rid of Cheeseball, then came back to life?

?_?

What? You can't do that? ;)

quote:
Originally written by Profiles in Pseudospex:

I think you want "get rid of him or die" instead of what you have. Or maybe "keep him or live," but that's a very odd way to say it.
Thanks oh wise Alorael for your wisdom. That is what I meant. Being old and thinking about too many things has caused me to say the wrong thing. :cool:

[ Wednesday, November 29, 2006 06:33: Message edited by: Arch-Mage Solberg ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
The oracle hath spoken.

quote:
Jeff Vogel:

The mold already existed, but Erika improved it. Both have their own reasons for stretching the truth.
In other words, the most likely explanation is usually the correct one.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Now I should accuse Jeff of plagiarism because he took my idea, right?

—Alorael, who is pretty sure that Occam's Razor depends on properties of this universe. As soon as you have magic the most complicated explanations become not only likely but preferable.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
quote:
Compared to gender-changing dragons, this is nothing.

Dragons? you mean Serviles!

The word of Jeff Vogel is law. This issue is resolved. This topic is ripe for death.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
Originally by -X-:

quote:
Dragons? you mean Serviles!
Some serviles, too, but the dragons changed their gender first and they did it more impressively, too.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
I think Exile/Avernum deserves special recognition for having a once-male dragon lay eggs and hatch a bunch of little dragons. Well, littler. Dragon family life is very complicated.

—Alorael, who somehow finds malleable sexes less worrisome in serviles. The Shapers can do anything to their creations without being too surprising.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

The word of Jeff Vogel is law. This issue is resolved. This topic is ripe for death.
-X-, you can't end a topic on your own terms. Unless you're a Moderator, and last time I checked, you're not.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #23
Well, you could go with the theory that dragons are simultaneously male and female and can fertilize their own eggs...
Clive Barker's Abarat uses that principle.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin not presents the following for your consideration:
Biscotti

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #24
Perhaps dragons have more in common with the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park than scaly skin and sharp teeth. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.

Pages