I confess - I'm a cheat!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I confess - I'm a cheat!
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #0
I got through the Golem Factory...with the walkthrough and repeated visits to the Character Editor.

There! I feel better for confessing. Now I can go back and clear out all the good gear and flog it in Tevrono, in good conscience.

:D :D :D

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Good to know.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #2
I think anyway you play the game that is fun for you is great. I've used the character editor lots of times in my games, and I enjoy the game more for it. After getting through the game a few times, I use it less, because it's fun saving some problems to solve another day.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #3
I like the editor because it can give me things I can't find like the Xian Pants.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #4
dont worry. Almost every1 cheats in A3. Even great men. he he. :P

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by mistica:

dont worry. Almost every1 cheats in A3. Even great men. he he. :P
Groan.

So has anyone actually beat the game without cheating? I got dangerously close, but there's nothing like a couple of dozen golems to put the fear of god into you.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
I don't think I ever used the character editor in any of the Avernum games, although I did use hint books.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5307
Profile #7
quote:
So has anyone actually beat the game without cheating?
I did this summer, after playing for over half a year.

I did have to use the walkthrough some with the golem tower, though. Most of it I did on my own. But no cheats whatsoever.

edit: Btw, the golem tower alone took me over a month of on and off playing to figure out... :eek:

[ Wednesday, December 22, 2004 15:44: Message edited by: Dogbreath ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
I don't cheat. I don't play on Expert-Super-Hard option or anything else like that, but I don't cheat. Honestly- the Golems are easy. For most of them, Lightning Spray works. For Demon Golems, fire spells (or swords) will do. The Alien Beasts, on the other hand, are an excuse to chew up SP/time/patience...

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #9
Alien beasts can get annoying sometimes.

Do you think there's a difference in annoyance between Exile and Avernum?

Actually, is there any difference in difficulty between Exile and Avernum games? What do you guys think?

I cheated big time while playing the "Run" scenario that comes with BoE/BoA, forgot it's name, almost no one cares much for it. I used the editor constantly to regress time so I could see the whole thing in one play.
Other than that I use the editor once in a while to get a potion or two because I'm too lazy to backtrack and rest outside the dungeon or castle or town.
The one game (not SW) that I also cheated big time was the first time I played Broodwar in the last three missions. Felt terribly about it, but. . .

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Berkelium steroid causistry:

Actually, is there any difference in difficulty between Exile and Avernum games? What do you guys think?
Yes; Avernum is a lot easier than Exile.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
You know, I found golems difficult and alien beasts easy. Must be something about my playing style.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

Yes; Avernum is a lot easier than Exile.[/QB]
Heck yeah. I remember playing E3 and having a really hard time beating it and making lots of trips to the editor. A3 was a heck of a lot simpler.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #13
I admit, it is fun using the editor to be all powerful and godlike. :D
But its also fun to not use the editor for at least 1 game. It gives you a good feeling like you completed the game without using cheats. :) I think the game is fun either way though.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #14
I always found it amusing in E3 to wait for the day to end, then move to the random shopkeeper in Storm Port, and around Sharamik.

I may not have cheated, but damnnit i had all Mithril and Blessed Halberds!

*first post for like... 18months or so*

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #15
Besides whatever differences there may be ET and AT in terms of creatures and tables, one of the things that made E3 more difficult, at least far as I remember, are the factories. The roaches factory is tougher than the one in A3, and the way conveyor belts worked in E3 made things more difficult than the new ways in A3. I think.

Also, maybe it was because I played ET first, but the final fights for the different games seemed tougher than in AT. I remember sweating almost blood with the final fight sequence in E3. As well as the one in E2, even with the help of the Vahnatai.

And I hated those Nagas far more than I did in AT, where they weren't that bad.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #16
Combat is much easier in Avernum. At least in the first two; I never played A3.

Combat is also much quicker. Thuryl and I discussed this; Avernum doesn't have prolonged battles of attrition like Exile does.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #17
What? It's possible to win without cheating? Last time I tried that, it was boring. I enjoy having godparties.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
Djur- You sure about that? The final battles of all three can get pretty long. I think A2 and A3 were worse, since damage was deregulated more.

Kel- Just cast Lightning Spray, the golems fall at your feet like butter. Being electrocuted.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I had an easier time with Avernum than with Exile. I also agree with Djur. Very few fights dragged on for a long time with the end in question. Some are very quick and hard, some are very long and hard at the beginning, but none leave you sweating all the way through.

—Alorael, who had an even easier time with A3, at least at the beginning. The damage really didn't quite balance right. By the end, the cap made damage stop being ridiculous, but that's only for the very last battles of the game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #20
I thought that A2 was hard, yet I had to change my opinion when I played A3.I do'nt know why, Personally I consider E3 easier, coz I finished that 1 without any help except the hints. A3 took the good part of 3 months & with the help of cheat, character ed. & Kelandon(thanx!!!) though he tells me off sometimes when I tend to overexert my opinions, like I am doing now!!! :D

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #21
Yeah, I'm the psycho, I've only gotten through the coakroach factory, but on torment with a singleton, I guess that's good. But having a do-it-all means that he'll lack the true strength each of the classes would have purely.
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #22
Well I noticed that in AT HP doesn't really mean much since even with the best armour, the nme can still do a lot of damage to you, better to spend on dexterity and defense. Thats what makes golems more difficult than Alien beasts because they can damage with their rays while Alien beasts hardly hit me at all. The most diffcult creature I encountered was the dark wyrm with their darkness breath. Luckily they can be picked off one at a time in the wurm pit, otherwise I would be overwhelmed.
Warrior
Member # 5343
Profile #23
the cockroach factory in E3 is really easy.

--------------------
Welcome To The Darkslide