Sequal to Averum3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sequal to Averum3
Apprentice
Member # 4817
Profile #0
I thought about make a sequel to Averum 3 and I need some Ideas on makeing it exactly to the story and a couple of new things added the the conflict

[ Wednesday, August 04, 2004 10:06: Message edited by: The_Wise_One ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #1
I encourage you to not try to make a sequel to A3. But if you insist, you should first know everything about A3 and second know about what your story is going to be. Figure out what you're going to do before starting anything. Also, if you're unfamiliar with A3, this effort of yours is doomed to oblivion before it even starts. Don't base something off of something you don't know about. Design what you know.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Don't do this. Do anything but this. You will not do the Avernum plotline justice.

Your first scenario should be small and original: small because you're not likely to finish it otherwise, and original because taking someone else's storyline since you lack your own ideas is a sure way to fail.

Make something different. Make something, certainly, but make something that does not pretend to be a sequel to A3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #3
While I disagree with Kelandon on this point (my idea of justice to the Avernum storyline involves a large fish hook shoved somewhere in the intestinal region), I'd also implore you not to do this.

Perhaps when you learn how to spell Avernum. But don't hold your breath.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #4
Among other things, Avernum 4 is likely to be one of the next three games out Spiderweb's doors. Thus, sequels to A3=bad ideas.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 4817
Profile #5
Ok ok im not going to make it. It was just a idea because i got curoius.
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #6
Why not make something that involves what happening at the same time as one of the 3 games?

--------------------
-Daravon
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
nice idea, Daravon, but what, where. That might work for Avernum 2, put it in a different.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I think it'd be pretty neat to set a scenario in one of the cities in Avernum during the Empire War during the time that the Vahnatai barriers were up. Maybe, er, Silvar or Cotra or something. This could have a fairly high sense of urgency, since the situation was rather desperate at the time.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #9
If you wanted your scenerio to take place after Avernum 3, you could always go for a cliche loyalist scenerio. Or if you are feeling really up to the task a scenerio about what would have happened if you hadn't succeeded in Avernum 3. Think about it, the apocolypse of the surface and the escape to Avernum. (I actually don't know the end of Avernum 3 because I never finished the game.)

[ Wednesday, August 04, 2004 20:52: Message edited by: The Artist Formally Known as Slith ]
Apprentice
Member # 3203
Profile Homepage #10
I really like the idea of making a scenario about a city's struggle during the Empire War while the barriers were still up. Perhaps like a battalion of Empire troops were locked up with a small (but fanatic) Slith villiage and a newly constructed Avernite fort? I would suggest something really small for starters and this could be done with only one or two outdoors sections and six to ten dungeons/cities. It would be a great starter or even a good one to experiment with scripting. (Use lots of special encounters with weird effects, combine all three sides in battles/dungeons, etc.)

--------------------
I am Corrigan, upon my shoulders rests the burden of the wizards, mages, enchanters, and magi. My sword is the greatest of fears of the enemies of peace and the enemies of right. Woe unto those who challenge me magically, for their lives will be short and unfruitful. My failures hurt me more than all the others, but my triumphs can be felt by all. I am leader, king, and companion. Let all those who wish to succeed follow and come with me.
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #11
My idea for a scenerio (when I can finally get BoA) was a mission by a small band of Empire soldiers on the surface during A2. Where the majority of troops are down in Avernum leaving only a few stragglers to look after home.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #12
that sounds like a good idea.. but i still need to get blades...ahhhh.id like a senario with a heavy plot and a good amount of mystery and heavy characters. imagint
-- BAND OF ESCAPED AVERNITES!!! we are on the surface..now what???
-- BAND OF EMPIRE SOILDERS still down???you never wanted this fight, do you change sides and knock down the sliths\giants\deamons???
-- THE FIRST TRUE HEROES OF AVERNUM what are you doing now that you are...
-- SAME FOR AVERNUM 2 heroes. what is up now that theyu are workin on with the vahnatai???

----- this is all from the points of a player and not of a maker. i dont have blades you see..

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #13
Good idea making a small scenario during the time of Avernum 3.

You may even set it in one of the most remote parts of the continent, or maybe in a small uncharted island. This might work if the scenario is small.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #14
Also, though I don't know your experience making scenerios Wise One, anything 'sequal' size probley isn't a good start. I planned my scenerio out to be about 4x5 outdoor sections (most of those wont be used since its based in a mountain pass), 1 town and around half a dozen dungeons.

Just saying try something smaller first.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #15
Or in keeping with the idea of a sequel:

Sometime later, the AV3 adventurers have died a natural death. But instead of their just rewards in Adventurer-Heaven, Rentar-Ino (?) has hijacked them in Soul-Crystals, for revenge (torture?). The quest would be to liberate their souls.
Could be a relatively small and simple adventure, or morph into a large complex thing.

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
There should be some sort of modification to BoA that any scenario that includes Rentar-Ihrno as a character is automatically deleted immediately after loading.

EDIT: Er, that wasn't much of a welcome. Hey, Homey Maigre -- whatever the heck that is -- welcome to the boards! Don't become a 5-post (or less) invisible newbie! Stick around, and leave your sanity at the door, and all that good stuf.

[ Thursday, August 12, 2004 19:14: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #17
Thanks (I think?).
I can understand dislike for that character, but it is a piece of 'unfinished' business. It only occurred to me because the idea lends itself to being somehow connected, but not really.

FYI. I've lurked unseen around here for a while, since I started playing. That's why I avoided any kind of 'fantasy' name :D

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #18
Rentar should be avoided in general, especially for a first scenario. Only those of great experience and design skill should attempt something. It can work, but it needs to be good, better than Exile 3.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #19
What's wrong with Rentar - she's a fairly important character, and should be included (or at least mentioned) in any story based after Avernum 3.

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
WTF

That's like saying every novel set in the 1950s should somehow involve Adolf Hitler.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #21
..they don't?

No, seriously, what do you expect from overenergic youngsters..?

[ Friday, August 13, 2004 09:02: Message edited by: Manuel the Maleman ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Micael, one could reasonably make the point that Rentar-Ihrno ought to be mentioned in any scenario that calls itself a "sequel" to A3, because it is an unresolved part of the plotline. However, such a scenario would have to be:
huge, because each Avernum game was huge, and I'm not just talking about forty towns or so, but at least a hundred towns with at least forty outdoor sections;damn good, or else it's a horrible idea to make something so huge, because if it's bad people will waste huge amounts of their time playing it and hate you afterwards, and besides, one wouldn't want to botch the Avernum plotline worse than A3 already did;therefore probably written by a very experienced designer, because virtually no matter what, first scenarios are not very good, as we can see from BoE because even the greatest scenario designers had somewhat flawed first efforts (Spy's Quest, On A Ship to Algiers, etc);I'm writing a scenario that takes place after A3, but it doesn't try to be a sequel to A3. It takes one subcomponent of the plot (the sliths and their fate) and focuses on that. I never mention Rentar-Ihrno because she would be completely out of place in my scenario. (I do make one rather veiled reference to the vahnatai's revenge in A3, but it's appropriate and kind of funny. :P )
Any first effort that includes Rentar-Ihrno as a character -- she wasn't that great of a character to begin with, anyway, so why would you want to include her? -- is almost doomed to failure from the start. I think this is because the most common reasons for wanting to include her are that people like the Avernum storyline, and they want to continue it, which is all well and good, but they frequently don't pay enough attention to what has already been established; in order to write a good scenario with Rentar, one would need to re-play A2 and A3 or at least read over all of her dialogue again to get a feel for her personality, and then one would have to examine her motives very thoroughly and keep her from becoming a stock villain. Such thoroughness and developed character exploration are very uncommon in new designers. Thus, generally, including Rentar-Ihrno in a first effort is a bad idea.

And besides, if you mishandle Rentar, Drakey will hate you. :P

[ Friday, August 13, 2004 10:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #23
Well, I think he just means an extension to the Avernum 3 plot that ties up a few loose ends.

He doesn't need to make a scenario with a hundred towns. I don't even think A3 had that many. I think it was more around 80-90.

You can include Rentar-Ihrno, but don't make her the absolute focus of the scenario. Maybe some background on the Vahnatai rebellion for semi-high level parties with some general stuff about what happened to the first surface Avernite settlers to fill the plot.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #24
Gee, who knew that Rentar-Ihrno was such a sacred Cow? My thought was spin-off more than sequel, with no notion of a full-blown Avernum type adventure... didn't realize this was a 'first effort'.

Why is it when I hear the name Rent-a-rino, I think Tom Bombadil, and mindless rhyming song?

--------------------

Pages