Really Minor Bugs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Really Minor Bugs
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #0
I've noticed a few cosmetic problems in Blades of Avernum v1.0:
1) When picking locks without a lockpick, it can say a pick breaks.
2) Hidden towns are displayed as visible on the automap.
3) This may or may not be a bug, but hidden towns that have buildings that block you still do even if they're hidden. This would either confuse the player or make them realize there's a hidden town there.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #1
Heh. Speaking of bugs, I found this: ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/temp/BoA.v101.update.sit.bin while looking around the ftp server Jeff uses. Heck I've been seeing a lot of stuff pop up and disappear from there recently. :D
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #2
Also, if you go into combat mode, explore a town, and leave the town by a stairway without leaving combat, the area you explored in combat will not be explored on the automap when you re-enter the town.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Apprentice
Member # 4243
Profile #3
1 The lockpick is supposed to be breakable (why else would you ever need to buy lockpicks?)
2 i dont know
3 whats a hidden town?
Apprentice
Member # 1692
Profile Homepage #4
I've noticed that Autocombat can warp PCs far away from the rest of the party.

--------------------
Warning: Signatures in mirror are closer than they appear.

Ambrosia Software | EVN | Flame Warriors | The EVula Empire | JoeCartoon | HectorCam | MacAddict | Maxim | MH-18
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by The Killer Of All Innocents:

1 The lockpick is supposed to be breakable (why else would you ever need to buy lockpicks?)
Read the bug report more carefully. The point is that it can say that your "lockpick" breaks even when you are picking a lock WITHOUT a lockpick.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #6
4 You hear the sound you hear when you open a door when someone casts Arcane Summon.

5 Sometimes, when failing to bash a door or when receiving a message, the game crashes.

quote:
Heh. Speaking of bugs, I found this:ftp://ftp.spiderwebsoftware.com/temp/BoA.v101.update.sit.bin while looking around the ftp server Jeff uses. Heck I've been seeing a lot of stuff pop up and disappear from there recently. :D

"The page could not be opened".

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 03:52: Message edited by: Mind ]
Apprentice
Member # 4160
Profile #7
6 If a terrain space says block_entry, and there is substantial room beyond the block_entry terrain, you can line your party along the terrain in combat mode and then end combat. Your party will reform past the block_entry terrain. Hahaha.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #8
Thats an old one. Been in every Avernum, and even in Nethergate too.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[QUOTE]...The point is that it can say that your "lockpick" breaks even when you are picking a lock WITHOUT a lockpick.
I believed to have quote that it wasn't possible for a char to picking a lock if he hasn't any lockpick.
The char that will do the lockpick is the char with a lockpick who has the higher skill.

If I'm right how can you have this problem? Or perhaps the bug is more that if no char have a lockpick the party can still picking a lock (I haven't tested that).
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
I believed to have quote that it wasn't possible for a char to picking a lock if he hasn't any lockpick.
The game does say you need a lockpick to pick a lock, but it's still possible to try to pick a lock without a lockpick. I'm not sure whether it's actually possible to succeed, though, as the one time I tried I failed.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #11
Yes, it is possible to succeed at picking a lock without lockpicks, if the difficulty is low enough (in relation to your skill). I've done it... and also had my non-existant lockpicks break. :)

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #12
As have I. It seems that lockpicks are more of a modifier to the Tool Use skill than an essential item neccessary for lockpicking in BoA.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Errant:

6 If a terrain space says block_entry, and there is substantial room beyond the block_entry terrain, you can line your party along the terrain in combat mode and then end combat. Your party will reform past the block_entry terrain. Hahaha.
I don't know why Jeff hasn't fixed this either. It would just involve a little bit more recursion and pathfinding code when you exit combat - perhaps he's left it as an Apple trademark "feature".

Oh, and nasty Frobozz for pointing out Jeff's super-secret hidden ftp temporary folder :P I might just have to sick Cannuk onto you. SHAZZAM!

Md.

Edit: Wanted to put an obscure Zork reference in.

[ Wednesday, April 14, 2004 21:34: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #14
I wouldn't oppose fixing a corollary of this "feature": fields left over after their generating monsters are dead (say the ice walls left by ice puddings in ASR's drake lair) are not blocked for the purposes of determining a party's placement upon leaving combat. So in cramped layouts, long retreats are often required to prevent your PCs taking more damage exiting a fight than fighting it. I suppose a DEAD_STATE could be used to pull of an ugly solution.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
A workaround for players is to have the PCs stand around in field-free spots and not end combat mode until the fields have faded. A slight nuisance, but shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 rounds.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #16
Yeah, that 5 key gets a mashing from me.

Md.
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Mind:
4 You hear the sound you hear when you open a door when someone casts Arcane Summon.

This is JUST an idea, but maybe you're SUPPOSED to hear that sound. Summoning is, well, opening "gates" to call creatures through, so maybe that's the sound of the Gate opening...?

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #18
Base lockpick gives no bonus isn't it? At least if their description is right (+0 more level Tools). So I don't see what their use if it's not because in theory you need a lockpick to pick a lock. It seems to me that the bug is more that you can pick a lock without a lockpick.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #19
As I understand it, the lockpick function is handled through the door script, isn't it? Couldn't someone just add a check for a lockpick item before the choice for pick a lock is shown?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #20
About minor bugs :
Blessed steel helm is weaker than steel hem (3-8 vs 5-8). At least it's in item description.
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #21
A question for the more design savy - how was lockpicking handled in BoE? I don't recall this particular bug being present. A lockpick was neccessary to attempt to open the door that way.

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #22
*un-lurks*

when opening a locked cabinet/dresser you do need a lockpick, i believe, as opposed to with doors.

an example of a locked cabinet are the two just outside of the room where they keep the dragon in VoDT.

*returns to lurking, never to post again under this name*

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Pathological Lurker
Lurking at Spiderweb since 1999
That would be impressive, since these boards only came into being in 2001. (I s'pose he probably includes the Lyceum, too, though. Or maybe he just means that he's been playing the games since then.)

EDIT: Oh, right, the topic.

Um, lockpicking was done completely differently in BoE. Lockability (which is, of course, a word) was a built-in feature, not run through customizable scripts. It was done as a special property of a floor/terrain.

[ Sunday, April 18, 2004 18:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
There were spidweb boards besides the Lyceum, you know. The Lyceum didn't start to pick up popularity until it went to ezboard.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages