Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
**** OUR #1 TOP PRIORITY ****
1.1 void add_dialog_pic(short which_pic) - Puts a dialog picture in the upper-left corner of the dialog.
Why top priority? Sure it would be cool, but I think there are other much more important calls. The dialog box call can be emulated, while there are other calls that don't. And those would open many paths in scenario design, like missile animations, cast_spell, time calls and the light calls.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #51
You've obviously never played BoE. Dialogs have enormous value, both practical and sentimental. Play a BoE scenario like Doom Moon II or Falling Stars and tell me it'd be the same without the dialog pictures.

And the "workaround" bloats file sizes horribly if it's used for more than a couple of dozen dialogs (some BoE scenarios have used literally hundreds of dialogs with custom images.)

To give you an idea of just how important an issue this is, at least two respected designers have threatened to stop designing if dialog pictures are not implemented in BoA. Maybe, just maybe, you should trust the word of people who know what they're talking about.

[ Saturday, August 28, 2004 16:01: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #52
Dialog Box Picture = Very very very very very very very very very good.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
Oh yeah... I'd also like to have custom scenario icons. It would be super-easy to do, and isn't even listed as not being possible. Not a top priority, but it's so damn easy that I can't see it being too difficult to do anyway.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #54
My feelings toward this are variable. On one hand, the dialog pictures were very good for setting the mood in BoE, and the custom creations by graphic artists were pretty good.

But it is just an aesthetic thing. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer more functionality to be added if it had to be a choice between the two. Do not misinterpret this; I'd like the pics, too.

But I think the main thing that is on my mind is whether or not the pics can be of variable size. A limitation to small pics might make them not noticeable to some, while big ones will force text off the screen. I hope there is some mechanism for this, rather than restricting the size.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #55
Referring to people by names instead of numbers is just an "aesthetic thing", too. Do you want to start barcoding people?

Because my attitude toward a message's dialog picture in BoE was honestly analogous to that toward a person's name; it may not carry any real information, but it's surprisingly important to your overall impression of them.

[ Saturday, August 28, 2004 20:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #56
Well, we could live in a utilitarian society with ubiquitous values and absolute references to everything. That would be very interesting for language, though. Extremely precise and easy to understand.

...barcoding people is a little extreme, don't you think? I'd be all for it if 2 things would be satisfied:
Variable sizes for the pics.More than 1 possible per dialog box.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #57
Honestly? The "multiple images" deal is a nice idea, but I don't think it'll happen. If you tell Jeff to build you a hut, you might get it if you're lucky. If you ask him to build the Empire State Building, he will piss in your face and tell you it's raining.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #58
Another request (I'm TPing this, BTW) is that SFX calls be enabled for outdoors. I've perfected the art of making something action-packed that uses no towns for BoE, and I could have really used some outdoor SFX nodes.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #59
It occurs to me that we might want a third, independent thread for that sort of thing and for the add_item_to_shop request. We have one thread for new calls and one thread for bugs; maybe a third thread for additional functionality for the old calls?

If I understood him correctly, Jeff said that he would do bug fixes, might add functionality to old calls, and would think about adding new calls. It seems that we're a lot more likely to get the first than the second and still less likely to get the third, so we might want to separate them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #60
We would all love him so much more if he did all 3.

I don't think it is necessary to separate them even further, since it is only 2 calls. Just move them into a new category. I recommend that the calls be updated and the NO WAY ones stricken from the record.

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #61
If he doesn't add calls, I drop whatever I'm working on and quit designing alltogether. BoE spent 7 years neglected, four of which I endured, and I don't want to see whichever medium I work with hereafter rot either. I can wait for Pyg, if it means suitable coverage and updates which meet the requirements of its designers.

Honestly, I'd be thrilled to recieve support from JV for BoA. I'd be totally unsurprised if none was provided. The only thing differentiating this and the four years of BoE is my continuously waning patience.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #62
*bump*

We need to send this off ASAP. Have anything else you want to say done by the end of next week.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #63
I would like the ability to give creatures negative immunities to make them take extra damage from certain kinds of attacks.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #64
He [Jeff Vogel] already stated that his favorite workaround was making the monster resistant to everything BUT the damage type in question to simulate weakness.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #65
I'm going to define "end of next week" as Saturday the 18th, unless anyone has any objections. Then I'll make the final edit to the first post in this thread, and... well... it would be nice if someone important (and here I am thinking of Stareye) would send this to Jeff at that point because I am a nobody and I have no idea if he would just ignore a random e-mail from me.

We could combine this with Keep's bugs topic in the final e-mail.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #66
I really would like to be able to customize outdoor wall sheets- type, height, etc.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'm going to define "end of next week" as Saturday the 18th, unless anyone has any objections. Then I'll make the final edit to the first post in this thread, and... well... it would be nice if someone important (and here I am thinking of Stareye) would send this to Jeff at that point because I am a nobody and I have no idea if he would just ignore a random e-mail from me.

We could combine this with Keep's bugs topic in the final e-mail.

DSon't JUST email jeff, send him the first page of the topic over by email, using the "UBB Email" system. Give him a little message in your email, ORDERING, or at least ASKING him to read all three pages, and he'll kinda get the gist. It's all very well for someone to say something in an email, like saying two designers have already threatened to quit, but it's better if he can actually SEE and READ it himself.

- Archmagi Micael

Oh, and in that earlier topic, the one with the pic onloy 11KBs, BoA doesn't accept JPEGs, and in BMP format it's more like 250KBs, each!

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #68
Much smaller on a Mac, I believe, unless Jeff uses uncompressed resource files. He does, doesn't he?

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #69
He does. He's made some... interesting... programming decisions with BoA, and the graphics formats were one of them.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #70
That is SO stupid. He should've made the game accept gifs, tiffs with compressiong schemas, and the uncompressed formats like BMP for speed.

Kel, did you receive my PM?

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #71
The problem with GIFs is that they're copyrighted; you can't use the GIF format for commercial purposes without written permission.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #72
Hwat? LZW or something?

--------------------
====
====
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

The problem with GIFs is that they're copyrighted; you can't use the GIF format for commercial purposes without written permission.
The patent Unisys held on LZW expired in June. GIFs are now legally unencumbered; however, they're a relatively poor choice for game graphics. GIF is very dated; it's an 8-bit indexed format ideal only for simple graphics with large blocks of color.
JPEG would of course be a terrible choice, being lossy. I use PNG -- more colors, better compression.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #74
PNG's are great.

I still prefer BMP's myself. I feel my computer is fast enough... screw file-size issues!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00

Pages