Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
No, not an NPC portrait in talking dialogue, an arbitrary image to go with a message box. And not like in a splash screen, either -- instead of being big and central, it'd be small and up in one corner.

[ Sunday, August 22, 2004 03:50: Message edited by: The Hexamethonium Man ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #26
You mean this?

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #27
I still want this:

void revive(short pcent_or_amt, short amount);

Where if pcent_or_amt is 0, then amount determines the percent of HP the character is revived at, and if pcent_or_amt is 1, then amount determines the number of hit points the character is revived at. It would be used in a creature's death_state. I tried an erase_char(); call followed by a spawn_creature(); call in a creature's death state, but it resulted in a unary error. I want this so that creatures can be killed but still not-totally-die. (This would simulate Lifesaver amulets on monsters.)

I also think a DISPEL_BARRIER state in terrain scripts would kick ass. But that's just me.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #28
Unary, as in one operand, as in negation and logical NOT. What the heck are you using as the parameter of spawn_creature to generate such an error?

By the way, I tested this out and it produces an unhandled exception, so there are definitely some problems with this usage of the call, though I have no idea what.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #29
This shouldn't be a major engine change, and would be backward compatible, but the town details menu has 2 unused fields. Could it be possible the convert one of those fields to load a custom town graphic background? (The picture behind the character in the inventory screen) It looks really odd to have a mountain in the background, but you're in the middle of the desert.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
I used this:

not_used = spawn_creature(ME);

That was probably my error.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #31
Ah, ME == -1. I have no clue why Jeff was so IDIOTIC as to not replace my_number() with ME() and kill the ME macro.

Anyways, Jeff coded spawn_creature() so that if the creature was still alive, nothing would happen and the call would return 0. But when erased with erase_char(), the creature is considered dead, so I guess the call doesn't know what to do if the creature is dead, but the monster's script and other variables are still in memory. That's what I think is going on.

Mind you that the game automatically quits because of application failure when you use spawn_creature(my_number()) in its DEAD_STATE after erasure. Revive_char would be a nice shortcut, though.

[ Sunday, August 22, 2004 18:29: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Deacon:

I also think a DISPEL_BARRIER state in terrain scripts would kick ass. But that's just me.
There is such a thing. Check door.txt:
beginstate DISPEL_BARRIER_STATE;
if ((i_am_open == 0) && (i_am_locked)) {
print_str_color("Dispel Barrier: The spell fails to affect a locked door.",2);
}
break;

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #33
I was thinking about this:
IMAGE(http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/example.jpg)

...and I was wondering how nice it would be to be able to have up to 1 dialog pic for each block of text. The call could be modified to:

void add_dialog_pic(short which_str, short which_sheet) - Makes the graphic which_sheet be displayed with the dialog. It will be placed to the left of the which_str block of text in the dialog, and the text will wrap around its edges.

To go along with the conventions of the add_char_dialogue_pic: Dialogue pictures are
placed in a sheet by themselves with no frame, and it is recommended that they are no larger
than 64 x 64. The number of the graphic resource is which_sheet.

[ Monday, August 23, 2004 08:08: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #34
Wow. I tried this:

my_x = my_loc_x();
my_y = my_loc_y();
erase_char(ME);
is_not_used = spawn_creature(my_number());
relocate_character(my_number(),my_x,my_y);
force_instant_terrain_redraw();

I crashed BoA is what I ended up doing. Yeah, respawning creatures upon death is an impossibility. I still want the revive(); call.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #35
DISPEL_BARRIER_STATE would be nice if it could be incorporated into creature scripts.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #36
So you could have Walking Fire Barriers that breathe fire, which could be dispelled?

When do you think that this list will be sent to Jeff? What if he inadverdently makes SF3 without looking at these suggestion? :confused:

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
If he doesn't look at these suggestions, I will be extremely pissed.

I will also likely give up scenario design altogether.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #38
Anyway, people need to assign priorities or we'll just give him the list as is.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #39
I'm pretty sure that this doesn't exist, but if it does please tell me as it be very helpful.

I'd like a get_is_new_round() command.

It would be called in a creature or terrain script, and would return 1 if this was the first time it was called in the current round, and return 0 otherwise.

This would greatly help with making a custom creature script that did a special action once a round every round. I've been able to make crude workarounds but such a command would be very helpful.

Edit: Problem answered below. leaving this post otherwise unchanged in so those that have the same problem would have an easier time finding the answer

[ Wednesday, August 25, 2004 08:14: Message edited by: Linthar ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #40
The script runs as long as the creature has AP, I think. Anyway, this call isn't particularly necessary because you can just use get_current_tick() to monitor when the creature used an ability.

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #41
There's a potential error with that- ticks wrap at 29999, so if a monster uses an ability on turn 29999, then they won't be able to use it again.
There are more useful calls, but that one has its uses.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #42
Oy, that is why there is a tick_difference() call. It takes care of that.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #43
Thankyou, I knew I must have been missing something.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #44
Okay, I just updated the list at the beginning of this thread. I labeled some things TP based on the four lists of priorities that people have already given (mine, *i's, Keep's sort of, and TM's from what I could figure out of it). If I'm still missing any calls or if you think some other calls might be more important, then post.

We have 15 TP's if we take ones that showed up on at least two lists, and 7 if we take ones that showed up on at least three. For comparison, we got four new miscellaneous calls and the five String Manipulation Calls for Scenario Format Version 2. It seems to me that 10-15 calls would be a good number to submit as our top priorities, because then Jeff can narrow it down to the number that he'll add, which, judging from last time, would probably be 5-10.

That is, of course, assuming that he does anything at all. But hey, we might as well be optimistic, right?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #45
That list looks pretty good to me. I'd probably add 8.4 as a priority as well, but otherwise, great.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:
I'd probably add 8.4 as a priority as well
I'll take that as a second vote for it (alongside mine) and upgrade it to TP.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #47
My top priorities are:
3.1, 3.2, 3.4
5.3, 5.6
6.1, 6.4, 6.5
7.3, 7.4, 7.9
8.2, 8.3, 8.4
12.1, 12.3

I also REALLY think that the spell libraries are neat, but god knows it ain't happening.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #48
If I am prodded enough, I can make a Javascript enhanced XTHML CSS page for creating spell libraries. No big problem.

Anyway, I slightly modified the list of things in my thread of bugs. * indicate bugs, + indicate suggestions.

I know there must be other bugs in a program as badly programmed as this one. Send 'em in!

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #49
This might be expecting too much out of Jeff, but he did say he vowed to give ongoing support for BoA. I think these calls would also be very useful:

TP 3.3
TP 13.1
TP 9.1

WBN 6.4, 6.5 (for documenting item locations)
WBN 14.1, 14.2 (Locs of waypoints)

NL 5.1

They are listed by:
1) From TP to NL.
2) My order of priority.

If 6.4 and 6.5 are implemented, this Would Be Nice:
short item_on_loc(short loc_x, short loc_y) - Returns the type of item found on {loc_x, loc_y}. Returns 0 (null / empty item) if nothing there.

--------------------
====
====

Pages