Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Requests for BoA Scenario Format 3
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #75
Which is fine and dandy except for the people using dialup.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #76
Due to the differences in compression algorithms (PNGs have basic compression, really, but the multiple filters and number of refinement passes can do wonders), the disadvantage of poor PNG Lib implementation, the possible extra size of 24 - 36 bit palette size, difficulty of pronunciation, and Jeff's insistence on using last generation technology will forever keep this new standard away from his games.

I'd like to point out that this topic has practically died for some reason. Does no one have any insight to add? I swear, the moment Jeff comes out with SF3, somebody is going to whine about something that wasn't suggested and not implemented. Zero hour is almost nigh, friends.

[ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 11:53: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #77
I'm not even sure that half of our "top priorities" (because as Jeff will hasten to add, giving us better tools is bad because us designers aren't worth the dung we crap out on the 'loo anyway and will massively abuse all that is given to us) will even be read, much less processed.

Well, eh. Maybe I'll be proven wrong- hopefully so.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #78
While this is completely incomphrehensible for Jeff to do. (It would require a remake more then a modification) I want to be able to modify races/spells/skills. And be able to add races/spells/skills. While as I said before it is highly unlikely, I believe this would vastly expand the capabilites of the editor, along with the creativity of the editors.

Edit- BTW this has nothing to do with the format itself, just something I would love to see implemented...

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 12:40: Message edited by: SmirfOfDoom ]

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #79
It's not that it's unlikely. It's just not going to happen. The chances are not slim, but in fact none. Jeff has said this repeatedly, most notably in a post that was deleted in the last prune here, but remains at the Lyceum here.

EDIT: Any final requests? I think I'm going to make the last adjustments tomorrow, ask for any final comments that anyone would like to make, and then... err... something will happen on Sunday. Someone will, like, send it to Jeff or something.

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 12:49: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #80
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

EDIT: Any final requests?
A cigarette would be nice.

Oh, you mean for the editor. Hmm. The only thing that comes to mind is better AI for NPCs that actually join the party. At the moment, an NPC's script doesn't seem to affect its behaviour once it's joined the party. Of course you can work around this by having the NPC follow you using scripts instead of joining the party, but that means PCs can't cast spells on the NPC.

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 15:48: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #81
While I read the article pretty well Kelandon, some parts I agree with. Other parts (no offense Jeff I love you) are crap. Plain and utter crap. The basis makes sense. Yes. I have no problem with Humans and Sliths and Nephilim and these skills stay the same, and edged weapons will always be edged weapons. Thats fine. What should have been done is additions. Have a basis, every game does. Thats fine by me and everyone else with any type of brain. However there is no reason that you cannot add more. Make a spell list solid, and then allow people to make more spells to add on. Make the same concept as the weapon that has a custom graphic, and is no longer valid outside of that particular scenario. However I see why he didn't. He didn't say it. But I see it. It's the three main things that everybody doesn't want to give up. Money, Effort, and Time. Well, this is why I say it's crap. I gave up money to buy BOA. I gave effort to making scenarios. I gave up time to testing them to a fault. So, in conclusion, sorry if I offended anyone, but with a reasonable limit, there is no reason why these things couldn't have been implemented in from the start.

EDIT- oh and for final request I have to go with the post last said before mine, The ability to add NPC into the actual party itself. Would be a nice addition.

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 16:35: Message edited by: SmirfOfDoom ]

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #82
Oh, I completely agree with you, Smirf. I'm just saying there's no point in requesting it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #83
Oh, Smirf, I didn't want actual player-controlled joinable party members -- that would be nice but definitely isn't going to happen. I just want creature scripts to not be broken for NPCs that join the party.

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 18:19: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #84
I don't think that they even use the basicnpc script that you might put into the scenario. They use the default basicnpc in your \data\ folder that is placed into every new scenario upon creation.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #85
There has to be some reason why a party member joining you has to have a unique script - but that script isn't used. It seems very strange. I wonder what (if anything) would happen wrong if you used another script that other creatures use? Perhaps they would all revert to the default basicnpc script?

Perhaps joined party members don't use a script at all. Remember the AI was just a part of the game code that controlled all NPCs in Avernum 3. Perhaps joined party members are controlled by something like that. Maybe that's important so they can follow the party when out of combat and not move too far away from the party when in combat. Who knows?

[ Saturday, September 18, 2004 01:18: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #86
I think you should send all the suggestions to Jeff, but highlight the important ones for him. I have a feeling he's only going to implement the ones that fit his whim, so why not send them all and see which ones he likes?

If we are to send the bug reports to him as one big chunk as well, I think we might need to make a short scenario illustrating all the errors. I'm going to need some help with that, considering I don't have the full version of the game (yet).

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #87
Okay, final update (I think). A few of the least likely calls as determined by myself, Garrison, and *i were stricken from the record (4.3, 4.4, 5.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, -- dealing with shop money, altering day length, and altering the rate at which creatures regenerate their health). I think this is the final edit, unless anyone has any strenuous objections. Now it's time for someone important that Jeff knows and to whom he might actually listen (*cough* Stareye *cough*) to send this in.

EDIT: And Stareye sent it in. Now we'll just have to wait and see what he says.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 13:52: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages