"The End of Blades" Discussion

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: "The End of Blades" Discussion
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I promise that I will release a Blades of Exile scenario before the contest deadline.
RiB??!?

But it's for BoE. Which sucks. I smell a conversion... Even if I have to do it myself.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

quote:

I promise that I will release a Blades of Exile scenario before the contest deadline.
RiB??!?

But it's for BoE. Which sucks. I smell a conversion... Even if I have to do it myself.

...the heck? If you're going to convert a BoE scenario, there are heaps of great options available now. You don't need to wait for Drakey to make one.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #77
Interesting concept that just occurred to me: which BoE scenario is the most promising for a port to BoA? Discuss.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #78
Ideally it'd be something mainly plot-driven, with few or no tactical combat situations and no custom graphics, to minimise the effort of porting.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #79
I'd say Johnny Favourite.

Quintessence would be a lot of work, but would benefit a lot from a really good porting job. The Gem would be so fun in 3D.

Anyway, I've redownloaded BoE, and am making an effort to design a scenario. But no promises. I'm looking for someone to throw ideas against - anyone up for it?

[ Friday, February 24, 2006 20:16: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #80
I suppose we'd all love something new.
Even if I never registered BoE.
Go ahead, I can be a sounding board.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin would like to make it known that he regrets the last time that he allowed me to say that.
I don't know what he's going on about. All that I said was that fish and kangaroos really don't belong together.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

Go ahead, I can be a sounding board.
And I can be a competent one.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #82
LL: Thanks, but someone who actually knows BoE may be a preferable option.

TM: Email coming your way.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

...the heck? If you're going to convert a BoE scenario, there are heaps of great options available now. You don't need to wait for Drakey to make one.
I was only saying that I'd want to play it on BoA, due to my hating BoE's engine... Not that I was looking for portable BoE material...

Edit: Wait... wouldn't this be a good way to get more people interested in BoA? By converting BoE scenarios, we're creating a new pool of scenarios to play. And it shouldn't take as long as making one from scratch, right?

TM: you used the conversion tool. What's it like?

[ Saturday, February 25, 2006 09:49: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

TM: you used the conversion tool. What's it like?
Absolutely horrible. Be prepared to re-write scripts by yourself, and the towns/outdoors will be completely butchered.

I tried it for RoR, but when I found out how absolutely intolerable it was, I just decided to re-write the scenario from scratch.

It's better than re-writing it for longer scenarios, though.

EDIT: Ash, replied to your email.

[ Saturday, February 25, 2006 12:23: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #85
I solemnly swear to release at least one BoA scenario by November.

By SupaNik:
quote:
Edit: Wait... wouldn't this be a good way to get more people interested in BoA? By converting BoE scenarios, we're creating a new pool of scenarios to play. And it shouldn't take as long as making one from scratch, right?
By TM:
quote:
Absolutely horrible. Be prepared to re-write scripts by yourself, and the towns/outdoors will be completely butchered.
I'm just spitballing here, but out of curiosity, how hard would it be to port a scenario that wasn't your own? If there are any abandoned BoE scenarios, maybe someone could port them...

--------------------
Avernites are from Mertis, and Nephilim are from Vantanas
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #86
It depends on the size and complexity. Unbalanced Accounts would be easy and heavily not worth it to the extreme. Bandits would be worth it (by comparison- it's not bad, but it beats most BoA scenarios), but it wouldn't be AS easy. Converting NTH would be somewhere around "impossible," but if you could think of a way to do it, it would be incredibly worthwhile.

If we could gather a group of people to convert a BoE scenario, we could see just how many manhours need to be put in.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #87
I remember asking this same question back in May. I've tried porting some scenarios, but the biggest bugaboo so far has been not caring about the plot when I saw how crappy it was. I tried making the plot better, and then tried starting fresh, and then gave it up. It may be easier if you can play the BoE version. Maybe.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #88
Yeah, it probably wasn't the greatest idea. Working on someone else's work is never fun.

Besides, the only people who could actually do it would be the designers, who probably would prefer to work on their own scenarios.

--------------------
Is it Fluffy Turtle season yet?

[ Sunday, February 26, 2006 14:18: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #89
Porting Nine Variations on Point B took entirely more time than one might think.

One of the problems is that walls in BoE and BoA must be thought of in different ways. Certain town styles simply do not work in BoA that are perfectly fine in BoE.

That's above and beyond the problem of rewriting almost all of the worthwhile scripts, of course.

EDIT: Town locations in general, come to think of it. Most entering-the-room specials have to be moved when porting.

[ Saturday, February 25, 2006 19:58: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #90
I nearly met with success in porting Bandits before a hard drive crash, too. :(
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #91
On the original topic, it think that blades is still alive. This topic alone has 90 posts on it, proving that people still want to play it, or are at least still interested in it.

At the least BoA is still active, with 19348 posts, compared with 10500 in general.

:)

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

At the least BoA is still active, with 19348 posts, compared with 10500 in general.

:)

Don't forget, the General board gets purged every once and a while... so really, it's had way more activity than BoA ever has and ever will.

But that's besides the point.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #93
I will release at least two scenarios before the contest deadline. They are Blades of Exile scenarios.

(Thye are very small.)
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by *Milu*:

I will release at least two scenarios before the contest deadline. They are Blades of Exile scenarios.

(Thye are very small.)

That's great! I've always liked The Leaving.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4533
Profile #95
I think comparing BoA to BoE is probably not the best idea, even more so in terms of scenario quantity. BoE had a much simpler editor, no real need for scripting at all and you could lash together a small scenario in a week or so. BoA requires people to understand the simple scripting langauge, and while it is simple, it does put a lot of people off.

I do think, however, there will be more people who will get back into BoA, esp after how Avernum 4 was not much of an Avernum style game compared to it's previous titles.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #96
It's not the scripting that puts me off BoA - it's the Avernum engine as a whole.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #97
quote:

It's not the scripting that puts me off BoA - it's the Avernum engine as a whole.
But I just played A4, and ran screaming back to the warm embrace of BoA... Opinions are split on this...

I did take the time to learn to node in BoE, and in all fairness, I prefer the BoA system. It's less... complicated for me, even though I was a BoEer to start with...

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Apprentice
Member # 4533
Profile #98
When I first made the move from Exile to Avernum, I didn't really like Avernum much at all. The skill system kind of threw me a bit, but in time I grew very fond of it all.

Like Imban, A4's sent me back to BoA. I was hoping for better in A4, but it looks like BoA is the only way I'll get my Avernum fix now.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Solymr:

Like Imban, A4's sent me back to BoA. I was hoping for better in A4, but it looks like BoA is the only way I'll get my Avernum fix now.
He he he.

A4 is awful, no?

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty

Pages