Spell stuff in BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spell stuff in BoA
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #0
Poll
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #1
Terror and Spray Acid both have useful applications for low level characters. From what I understand Force Cage is useless at its current level. Perhaps if it was able to be learned at an earlier level.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
I think that part of what made exile great was the abundance of "quirky" spells. I'd love to see them return in BoA.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #3
Yeah, they bring COOLISHNESS and depth to the game..

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #4
Mind Duel and Magic Circle were my favorite spells. Mind Duel was too hard to be able to use though, since it required some gem to use it (smoky quartz?).

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Mindduel also enables mages to store up far too many excess spell points before facing a difficult enemy. I'm all for odd spells, but only if they aren't unfairly good.

—Alorael, who isn't sure he approves of a spell that encourages picking on apprentice mages, either. There should at least be lesser gains for out-minddueling a pathetic mage!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Well, they do run out of SP too. And there's a chance of them dying.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
What made Exile so great was the fact that the large plethora of "quirky" spells made it seem at more realistic in terms. In real (supposing that we had magic and the such), people would be using huge amounts of different spells, spells that would perform the simplest takes like instantly cleaning your teeth. Avernum's lack of spells made me feel like I was either A) in the past, using the only spells that had been procured... or B) after the Exile series where the magic had been specialized and become more elite and rare. Maybe that's just me, but hey these forums are for our personal thoughts anyway aren't they? I'd like to see more spells, the "quirky" ones, and that's why I personally begged Jeff for the use of the Editor for creation of new spells, so people could use their silly minds and make some truly unique spells. But he said no, and he's god so I guess I'll live.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #8
What pissed me off is that they sacrificed "Beast Ceremony" for "Forcecage", I think "Beat Ceremony" was one of the most useful spells in Avernum. The same goes with Divine Warrior, I like it more than Divine Retribution.

--------------------
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : :: o`-, … I'm under your bed.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
But Beast Ceremony and Divine Warrior were unbalancing. Instead we get War Blessing, which does the same thing, but much cheaper.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #10
Yep, war blessing is too good. It's a mini divine warrior for a ridiculously low price. Do you know if Jeff has any plans to split battle rage and shielding back up again? I would like to see war blessing split, replacing terror and forcecage.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that most people think forcecage is worse than terror.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #11
It isn't that Mind Duel grants the player an unfair advantage; the monsters are simply granted to many spell points. It is discouraging to see an Apprentice mage with over 100 spell points.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #12
If we sould remove a spell I go for “terror“ :eek: . Its a bad spell because:

1- it doesnt work 90% of the time. You would be more likely to cast a Quickfire before you actually scared anyone.

2- The only oponent it scares most of the time are goblins and lesser monsters that you dont realy need to scare because you could just beat them down with sticks.

3- Why would you want to scare a monster anyway. You run into a dungeon scaring off monsters, who´s the monster you or the creatures running away from you? theres no fun in that.

...now spray acid in the other hand. :D

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Warrior
Member # 2838
Profile #13
I still want a spell that works like Major Blessing in Exile, or maybe one that bless all your party, we have already one that haste all your party, so why can't we have a Bless All spell?

--------------------
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : :: o`-, … I'm under your bed.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #14
I think that acid spraying should be limited to items and monsters.

There is no immunity to acid, (so far in Exile, haven't tested Avernum), and you need items to resist and cure it.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #15
The thing that ticked me off from Avernum 2 to Avernum 3 is that they got rid of the most powerful, useful, and my personal favorite spell in the entire series - Bind Foe. Combind with warriors, Bind Foe is easily the most powerful and useful spell in the game, instantly disabling even the most powerful adversaries for a mere 2 spell points. Being able to shut down nearly anything aside from maybe wizards and daemons was what carried my party through a great deal of battles. Maybe it was cheap as all get out, but I'll take cheap over the basically worthless forcecage spell "replacement" any day.

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #16
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Plah:
There is no immunity to acid, (so far in Exile, haven't tested Avernum), and you need items to resist and cure it.
2 words: Basic Necklace
Which makes you IMMUNE to acid.

Terror is a stupid spell, but force cage is truely more worthless.
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #17
I dunno... I liked forcecage A LOT when i was trying to avoid having to kill the dragonlings...

--------------------
-Daravon
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
As a singleton, though, I'd use up a lot of AP trying to forcecage them and run, making it nearly useless.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Forcecage might be useful if its cost was lower, it was harder to resist, and it lasted longer. But it still would only be useful in very limited circumstances.

—Alorael, who thinks there might be ways to use it interestingly in BoA. But the chances of that are pretty low, while the chances of it remaining worthless are high.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 1452
Profile #20
Forcecage, Terror, Spray Acid, summon beast most useless spells, that i ever see. I never used them. But Bind Foe + Divine Warrior at lvl3 is spells of doom :) . And here is one more word about Divine Warrior and game ballance. Try to kill 3 doomguards without DW :) (remember A2?)
About spells: read any list of spells in any MUD :)

--------------------
"Do not expose without the reason" written on The Sword...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
All you need is a blessing and a powerful weapon - doomguards are not very difficult beyond their splitting and immunities.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 1452
Profile #22
Power weapon? And so what, that you have it? Max dmg is 200 and doomguards have much more hp. The best affect of DW is 12AP and invulnurability. And this means, that you can strike your enemy 3 times per round per character. Blessing don't give that all.

--------------------
"Do not expose without the reason" written on The Sword...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
I was talking about A2, and second, doomguards are easier in A3. One or two War Blessings, maybe a Divine Aid if you really need it, and then just hack away. The copies only have a 5% chance of hitting anyway.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #24
I could never work out how to get Symbiosis or Mindduel to work.

And I'm sure there's a way to get invulnerability from a spell, but I think it's Arcane Shield and therefore totally unrelated.

Pages