Spell stuff in BoA

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spell stuff in BoA
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #25
I don't even know what Mindduel does!

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
You and the subject duel for spell points. You can either lose, be dumbfounded, or win, and dumbfound or kill the opponent.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
It's only any use for killing things if they're already very low on spell points, though.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #28
I like direct damage spells like kill.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #29
Yeah, kill was a frickin' good spell once you got it.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #30
Direct damage spells are important to any RPG, but too many of them can make the spell lineup kind of dull. I think Avernum has just the right number of regular damaging spells.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #31
Kill _sucked_ in Blades of Exile.

At high levels, anything not magic-immune was better off being taken care of in melee or with Paralysis, and anything magic-immune is immune to Kill.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #32
It' better than Arcane Blow (wow, I've just realised how inuendoid that name is), which is probably its equivalent in Avernum.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #33
It would be more relevant to compare Arcane Blow to Death Arrows, since Kill was a one-target spell and Death Arrows was the most powerful multi-target spell. Kill dominates Bolt of Fire, at any rate, but I have to say that Arcane Blow (and, against the magic-immune, even Fireblast) outclass Death Arrows.

But that's just what I think. Terror was probably the most totally useless spell in the entire universe. :P
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #34
Death Arrows was useful in a very few occasions, since it did the most damage (potentially) of any spell in the game.

Unfortunately, this does nothing to change the fact that quite a lot of BoE monsters were magic-immune.

EDIT : Death Arrows, despite seeming to be a multi-target spell, was actually best used as a single-target spell against a 2x2 monster.

[ Wednesday, May 07, 2003 11:28: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #35
Yeah, BoE designers seem to have a sort of immunity fetish, don't they? Although it does come in handy now and then, it really is overused.

But I agree with Death Arrows being most useful against the big fellows. That was when it came into its own.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #36
If a high-level boss doesn't have magic immunity and doesn't rely on special spells, it's a pathetic boss - Paralysis will stop it from taking any action for the rest of the battle. This is bad for difficulty.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #37
Also, if designers participate(d) in the arena, their monsters are usually harder (like Stareye).

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #38
People who participate in the Arena also tend to be more familiar with AI and not suck at the actual game of BoE. :P

Pages