Phaedra

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Phaedra
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #0
In A2, Blosk, there is a little girl with a wooden sword anxious to become a warrior when she grows up.
In Bahssikava The Human Warrior Is also named Phaedra. Is this the same Phaedra? Or is it a coincidence?

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #1
Thatz really cool if true. Nice fine touch!

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Yup, that's the same Phaedra.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
That still doesn't explain why she wears nothing but a metal bikini.

But nevermind.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
You need an explanation for that? :P

But seriously, I just took a graphic out of BoA's defaults. It's not even edited, just resized.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
I know this. That does not mean that you had to use that pic.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
What, is Phaedra too sexy for you? :P

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Phaedra's... too sexy for this scenario... too sexy for this scenario...

Note to self: find non-musical ways to taunt Kelandon. Getting songs stuck in own head makes for something of a Pyrrhic victory.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5339
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Levitating Netherlander:

[QB]Phaedra's... too sexy for this scenario... too sexy for this scenario...
On the slithwalk! on the slithwalk yeah Phaedra does her little turn on the slithwalk!!!! dum dum dum dum
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

What, is Phaedra too sexy for you? :P
Oh, it's not THAT. I just never thought chauvinism was one of your legitimate design convictions...
:rolleyes: :o ;) :P :confused: :eek: :cool: :goatse:

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Chauvinism? In what way is it chauvinistic to make one of my female characters attractive?

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
Attractive, maybe.
Attractive, wearing nothing but a steel bikini and a giant phallic symbol, being the ONLY female in your scenarios who meritocratically rose to the top, absolutely.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
Attraction is well matched with toughness.
:) I see the steel bikini as a compliment to female strength.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
The top? So... Phaedra's position is better than, say, Ethass's? Phaedra may be the one going out there and DOING things, but Ethass certainly has more of Legare's ear, and she has to do a lot less work.

And I don't even want to know where you see a phallic symbol in all of this. :P

But more significantly, why is it wrong that she's attractive? She certainly didn't use her sexuality in any undignified way (on this expedition, at any rate :P ). She has more significant traits than attractiveness -- she's the one that first realizes that the invasion of the demons was just an unfortunate coincidence, for example. She's definitely intelligent, and she uses all of her talents, physical or otherwise, to her advantage.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
"The top? So... Phaedra's position is better than, say, Ethass's? Phaedra may be the one going out there and DOING things, but Ethass certainly has more of Legare's ear, and she has to do a lot less work."
Pheadra has Micah's ear, and she's more powerful to boot.

"And I don't even want to know where you see a phallic symbol in all of this."
Sword.

"But more significantly, why is it wrong that she's attractive? She certainly didn't use her sexuality in any undignified way (on this expedition, at any rate [Razz] )."
Because she is reducing her own dignity by flashing herself off like that. Basically, that graphic is one of a slut- a slut skilled with the use of a blade, but a slut nevertheless.

"She has more significant traits than attractiveness -- she's the one that first realizes that the invasion of the demons was just an unfortunate coincidence, for example. She's definitely intelligent, and she uses all of her talents, physical or otherwise, to her advantage."
Right. Which is evidence that you're a stereotypical, angsty liberal, rather than just a stereotypical angsty apolitical individual. Yeah, she's capable- she's also capable with attractiveness tied in. It's like you created a big-breasted character, adding in the fact that she's capable to counter that. Or, alteratively, women are subject to the same meritocratic standards of men, but they also shake what they got. (PS- Eahss is also not attractive.)

Maybe it's not what you intended, but...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Le Martyre de la Terreur:

"And I don't even want to know where you see a phallic symbol in all of this."
Sword.

She's holding an axe.

quote:
"But more significantly, why is it wrong that she's attractive? She certainly didn't use her sexuality in any undignified way (on this expedition, at any rate [Razz] )."
Because she is reducing her own dignity by flashing herself off like that. Basically, that graphic is one of a slut- a slut skilled with the use of a blade, but a slut nevertheless.

Interesting. So you see that image, think "SLUT!", and then cease to consider her personality? Who's being chauvinistic here?

quote:
[namecalling] Yeah, she's capable- she's also capable with attractiveness tied in. It's like you created a big-breasted character, adding in the fact that she's capable to counter that. Or, alteratively, women are subject to the same meritocratic standards of men, but they also shake what they got. (PS- Eahss is also not attractive.)
Easss is a drakon. Ethass, on the other hand, is one of my characters. :P

She's capable and attractive. I think that her intelligence is a more significant (albeit more subtle) aspect of her character than her sexuality. It's not something I added in afterwards -- it was what I started with. But she's an adventurer, which means she's spent most of her life living out of taverns and drinking with the boys. So of course she dresses like that. The important thing is that she's not consumed by it.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
"She's holding an axe."

Okay, another large rod. (I could have sworn it was a sword. Eh.)

"Interesting. So you see that image, think "SLUT!", and then cease to consider her personality? Who's being chauvinistic here?"

Way to go out of context. You're writing a scenario for angsty teenagers (and that ain't namecalling in the slightest). Including "steel bikini girl" is a good way to have women be objectified some more- because, ya know, she can't apparently walk around *without* that. She never "uses" it, and there's plenty of decent cloaks to wear. I mean, does she have the slightest bit of self-respect? (And you don't put any effort into characterizing her- which makes this seem like an ex-facto argument at best.)

"Easss is a drakon. Ethass, on the other hand, is one of my characters. [Razz]"
You mean cliches borne from authors' insecurities now have names? Fascinating.

"She's capable and attractive. I think that her intelligence is a more significant (albeit more subtle) aspect of her character than her sexuality. It's not something I added in afterwards -- it was what I started with. But she's an adventurer, which means she's spent most of her life living out of taverns and drinking with the boys. So of course she dresses like that. The important thing is that she's not consumed by it."
So basically, Brittney Spears really does have musical talent?
This is a dime-a-dozen leftist fallacy. Nevermind the fact that she becomes a whore to perform better at her job. Maybe Miss Spears doesn't let her sexuality consume her. Maybe I could give a flying damn less- she's a slut.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #17
When Phaedra is slaughtered, She Drops Nothing except her dead body, and a sword. Why No Metal Bikini? Is She Naked? My adventurers Lucky Day!
:eek: ;) :eek: ;)

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #18
I wouldn't go as far as calling Kelandon chauvinisitic, although Phaedra's character did seem poorly developed. She appeared as the modern day stereotype of woman beauty: busty and 'sexy' but defiant (nice way of putting fiesty) as well as intelligent and independent. Almost like a character taken out of 'Desperate Housewives.'
I don't think Kelandon had intended Phaedra to be another woman stereotype; it seems like he tried for the opposite effect, but failed. I think, subconciously, he put a bit of his own fantasy into Phaedra.
On a random note, none of the other character graphics are much better. Most of the women are curvy and busty, and most of the men are obscenely muscular.

quote:
But she's an adventurer, which means she's spent most of her life living out of taverns and drinking with the boys. So of course she dresses like that. The important thing is that she's not consumed by it.

So because she hangs out with boys in the taverns, she has to dress like a whore... and if thats the case your basically saying that she dresses like that to get sex. You dug yourself a hole there...

EDIT: This argument basically has no purpose... I don't really care how Kelandon portrays women in his scenerios, I was just trying to make a point.

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 17:21: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

"Interesting. So you see that image, think "SLUT!", and then cease to consider her personality? Who's being chauvinistic here?"

Way to go out of context. You're writing a scenario for angsty teenagers (and that ain't namecalling in the slightest). Including "steel bikini girl" is a good way to have women be objectified some more- because, ya know, she can't apparently walk around *without* that. She never "uses" it, and there's plenty of decent cloaks to wear. I mean, does she have the slightest bit of self-respect? (And you don't put any effort into characterizing her- which makes this seem like an ex-facto argument at best.)

Why does wearing what she wants to wear indicate a lack of self respect?

There are a few moments of characterization -- she hides a lot of her personality, very deliberately, and it's a bit hard to get her to trust you. But the fact that the party has to gain her trust a bit before she opens up about Legare is pretty significant, and the fact that the party can see that she's nervous when dealing with Kass and Legare and the others when they finally break through the doors -- these two facts are significant.

You didn't NOTICE everything there was to notice about her, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

quote:

"Easss is a drakon. Ethass, on the other hand, is one of my characters. [Razz]"
You mean cliches borne from authors' insecurities now have names? Fascinating.

Ethass is a cliche? How so?

quote:

"She's capable and attractive. I think that her intelligence is a more significant (albeit more subtle) aspect of her character than her sexuality. It's not something I added in afterwards -- it was what I started with. But she's an adventurer, which means she's spent most of her life living out of taverns and drinking with the boys. So of course she dresses like that. The important thing is that she's not consumed by it."
... This is a dime-a-dozen leftist fallacy. Nevermind the fact that she becomes a whore to perform better at her job. Maybe Miss Spears doesn't let her sexuality consume her. Maybe I could give a flying damn less- she's a slut.

But who says that I endorse what Phaedra thinks or what she does or how she dresses? I certainly don't endorse the way that Lucretia thinks in LP. If you don't like Phaedra, that's fine, but she's a representation, a single character. Do you prefer Ethass?

Besides, I think that if you dismiss Phaedra as a simple slut, you've missed a lot of her character. You don't know why she dresses the way she does -- maybe she just wants to. Maybe you think that she should dress more conservatively, but why should you get to decide how she dresses?

quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

So because she hangs out with boys in the taverns, she has to dress like a whore... and if thats the case your basically saying that she dresses like that to get sex. You dug yourself a hole there...
No, not at all. Who says she ever sleeps with anyone? She's actually (although this never gets mentioned) probably a virgin.

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 16:05: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #20
Well actually the reason she wears a bikini and not say adamantine full plate mail with six inch razor sharp poisoned spikes (like any sensible adventurer would wear) is because it is a magical amazon brass bikini like the kind you see on the covers of old fantasy paperbacks. It gives the power of the amazon queen . Of course only initiates of the amazon warrior test can use it so it doesn't appear as an item when she dies. :P So there.

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 16:16: Message edited by: Toasty Warm ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
She also has incredibly high levels of Hardiness. :P

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #22
quote:
IAN FAITH: They're not going to release the album . . . because they've decided that the cover is sexist.

NIGEL TUFNEL: Well, so what? What's wrong with being sexy?
I've lost track: who's playing whom in this Spidweb Players reenactment of Spinal Tap?

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 16:23: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #23
You guys do realize that its just a charector in a scenario right. Don't you think you're over analyzing.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #24
She isnt that hot. No actually her level of hotness is near zero mainly due to her being only 1cm tall.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages