Monster/Puzzle/Item Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Monster/Puzzle/Item Thread
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #0
Thought up some interesting puzzle or monster but ended up not using it in your scenario? Maybe somebody else can use it - post it here.

To start out, then

Assassin: an invisible monster with 1 HP and no armor. It does moderate damage and lots of poison. On death, creates a monk graphic assassin with the same attack and more health. Alone early, and in pairs later. Stepping on some spaces in doorways, corridors, etc, have some chance to spawn these behind you.

Aurak: Gold colored. Immune to fire. Has a strong attack, fireblast (lvl1) and cloud of blades (lvl1). On death, it creates another aurak that has no spells but has 7 AP. That aurak causes a fire explosion on death. (dragonlance)

Water Elemental: 2 kinds - large and small. Immune to melee, poison, mental, and cold. Cold breath.

Living Crystals: Static. Recolors of each other. Vulnerable only to melee. A light blue one has ice lances. A purple one has a dumbfounding ray. A orange one has a fire ray.

Gelatinous Cube: 1 AP, high HP, paralyzing touch, vulnerable only to fire. (D&D) Found in narrow corridors in dungeons.

Dauthi: 2AP invisible, moderate health, moderate damage, paralyzing touch. Found behind you in fights with lower-level monsters. (MtG)

Sapphire Golem: This is a blue golem with cold breath and a strong melee attack. On death, it fires a beam of cold and acid at one party member and always drops 1 Golem Eye, which is a powerful thrown weapon -+25 levels, casts Cloud of Blades.

Puzzle: Entering a dungeon, you pass through a room with a bunch of runes on the floor, a stuck lever, entered and exited through a portcullis. Exiting the dungeon, goal accomplished, the portcullis to exit through gets closed. Scattered throughout the dungeon are 3 kinds of gems, equally rare. When the lever is pulled, the portcullis behind you closes, the portcullis in front of you opens, and a very tough fight appears in front of the now-open exit. If one of the first kind of gems is on a rune when the lever is pulled, that space becomes a wall; the second kind, a void, the third kind, a cloud of blades. This is necessary to win the fight for most parties. A riddle gives a hint as to putting the gems on the runes.

Puzzle: You need to enter a magic fort by the garbage chute. To get past the Garbage Shredder monster (invincible, huge attack, 12 AP) you need to find an invincibility potion for each party member, these being scattered throughout the scenario. OK, that's more of a plot device, but hey, it certainly seems less contrived than, say, finding 6 metal triangles. ;-)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Hey, that six metal triangles thing was just because that's what the same dungeon in A1 required. No Jewish symbolism with the six-pointed star, no contrivingess, just plain duplication of the source material. :P

I have a puzzle in the southeast corner of town 16 in Bahs that failed to work because of various bugs in BoA, but I still think the premise is promising. It's a beam puzzle with multiple heights involved and a projector that can be pushed via a terrain script. You have to get one beam to shoot across a chasm to activate a source, and you have to push a mirror through a watery area and prevent it from falling into the water.

It would've been good. But alas, BoA can't handle beams criss-crossing at different heights and proceeded to implode upon seeing this puzzle.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Most of these are (to some degree) Canopizations, but I like the Garbage Chute and Assassin ideas. Don't be alarmed if I duplicate at least one of these in the future.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4500
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
But alas, BoA can't handle beams criss-crossing at different heights and proceeded to implode upon seeing this puzzle.
Thank Zorb it can't. Otherwise, I'd be forced to hunt you down and stick you in sensitive places with many pins.

Mac
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
You would be far from the first to do that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #5
Just a minor point, but the Garbage Shredder puzzle/plot device would be rather easier if you were playing as a singleton or a party with
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
The less-than-4 problem can be solved by having the items be in four chests or something, and having the others all disappear when the party's needs have been met, or simply only have a certain number appear.

(Of course, this allows said party to be stupid and drink their only lifelines, but... The scenario could just let the party lose one of its members in such an instance.)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #7
Item: Berserker Ring: +2 AP, -35% resistance to all damage, +8 Blademaster, +1 Dread Curse.

Item: Helm of Focus: Steel Helm with -3 Strength, +3 Intelligence. Cursed.

Item: Scalpel: Throwing weapon with 1-10 base + 1-9 per level of First Aid and 2 levels of Dex.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 21:26: Message edited by: bjlhct2 ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
I'm not sure -5 Endurance would do much -- item-based alterations to Endurance don't affect maximum HP, do they?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
I really like the idea of Scalpels. I may try to make those in the future. My next scenario has an Ancient Wand- thrown missile (no ammo), 1-6 per level of Nature Lore and 2 levels of Dexterity.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
And mine will have weapons based on Tool Use and Potion Making, rounding out the set of items based on less-useful skills.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #11
I like the Ancient Wand, but I'd say 1-5 per level and causes acid.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
The Scalpel might be a bit much too -- remember, Sharpshooter will also affect its damage just as much as First Aid does.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 21:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #13
Item: thrown missile (no ammo): Ancient Wand: 10-20 dmg + 1-5 dmg per dex/2 and nature lore. Causes 28 acid. -6 to Sharpshooter.

The scalpel is OK because you run out eventually.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 13:41: Message edited by: bjlhct2 ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
A longsword that does say between 300-700 damage. But also drains nearly all the attackers HPs. A massively powerful weapon with huge drawbacks to its use. This could perhaps be the only weapon which effects the main baddie.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 22:31: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Unfortunately, there's no way for a weapon to call a script on hitting a target, so that idea couldn't be implemented as a wieldable weapon.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #16
Unless, of course, it was called every turn that you wielded the weapon, or you found some other sneaky workaround.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
I suppose you could drain the wielder's HP to 0 every round in the START_STATE or something, but that would be obnoxious.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #18
Couldn't you use the life stealing with a negative strength? Has anyone tried this? Special Ability = 77.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #19
Item: melee weapon: Acidic Vine: 10-20 dmg + 1-5 dmg/level. Causes 40 acid to user each turn equipped. Causes 120 acid to enemy on hit.

Item: thrown missile: Stuffed Toad: 10-20 dmg + 1-5/level. Causes poison, fear, and enfeeblement on hit. These are poisonous spiny toads stuffed with rocks, sold as decorations for too much money. The guy selling these tries to convince you to join a multi-level marketing scheme to sell these.
Apprentice
Member # 5512
Profile #20
with the acidic vine, causes damage unless 'base treated gloves' is equiped on character? just a thought :P

--------------------
Gir! What did you do with the Guidance chip?

I took it out to make room for the CUPCAKE!!!!!
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #21
Item: sword: Sword of Titan: two handed sword, 110 lbs, +6 to strength, -8 to defense, -3 AP, 45-352 (ie 44 bonus) dmg + 1-8/level. Cursed.

Item: shield: Ethereal Shield: 0 lbs, blocks 0 dmg, 0 encumbrance, +33% resistance to magic, +33% resistance to mental effects, +33% resistance to cold, +2 to luck.

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 18:15: Message edited by: bjlhct2 ]
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #22
anti-mage axe: basically just an iron axe (i.e. not impressive damage) but surrounds you and the squares around you in an anti-magic field. cursed. and sorry if yer melee dude keeps standing too near yer own mages. might be good in tight spaces. might be too powerful out of 'em.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #23
Something which is missing from most item design is the presence of items which are not completely combat oriented. I know there is not a whole lot you can do here. One of my favorite items in the scenarios was the Wand of Opening.

Woodsmans Ring-- +3 nature lore, +1 first aid

Seven League Boots-- +1 AP, +2 pathfinder

Orb of Vision-- 20 charges farsight

Wand of Piercing-- 20 charges remove barrier

Acid is one of the strongest attacks.
An acid golem would be very dangerous.-- 2 attacks acid touch. Spits acid.

A trap which would really scare adventurers would be something which sets off a slow spell against the party then hastes a couple monsters or a pillar which fires forcecage spells while your party is fighting monsters. This is another thing which is not often done. Traps which do not damage but cause an effect which weakens the party so they can be ambushed. Paralyzing floor, poisoned water, etc.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #24
I liked being able to poison weapons in the exile series. Is it possible to include this, possibly as a special ability? Or maybe have a poisoned weapon which injures the user unless they have a certain level of potion/intellegence/dex skill.

Also, grenades which burst into cloud of blades when you launch them - just make sure you don't do it too close toyou party. Or granades etc which release sleeping/dumbfounding gas (you'd need to keep the party away from the effects, use ranged weapons etc). Would be good if these worked on invisible enemies too (black shades are so irritating!) so you'd have to be able to launch them without having a target.

Are any of these possible? I'm not a designer so I have no knowledge of what can be done.

--------------------
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.

Pages