Monster/Puzzle/Item Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Monster/Puzzle/Item Thread
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #50
There are already Greaves in Canopy.

Your "Tights" are way too powerful, and your "Superman Boxer Shorts" are again worthless.

And Toast, you actually cannot change monster types. I mean, yeah, you could do an almost-complete quasi-switch, but...

Re: Archmage- a nice idea, but Haakai is the last thing that ANY scenario needs. And if you're looking for magi who are spiteful upon death, well... Canopy's Bugbear Mage.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #51
In Death At Chapman's the mage turns into a wraithe at least graphically. It would just be a graphic switch. This has been done several times -- in Backwater calls-- the statues turn into Demon Golems, also the rocks transform into Eye Beasts. I think this could be done easily-- villagers turning into demons could easily be done.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #52
Solomon - hardiness increases elemental resistance, and +1 Gymnastics is hardly game-unbalancing, especially compared to, say, the Magic Greaves. Haakai makes sense in this situation - it isn't my fault if it's overused. It's something different from your beam, and more suitable for a 1v1 combat, such as surprising the guy in his office. Is the guy who made Canopy declaring himself the high arbiter of balance? :P
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
Stat bonuses from items do NOT increase elemental resistances- for instance, RoR's Lucky Cloak does not give you added resistance to fire.

Tights, unless I'm mistaken and they actually are magic, will increase your evasion by 5% and increase your odds to hit by 5%.

Haakai are BORING. Big, giant spellcasters are nothing new, and need something more than a Haakai.

Re: balance, yeah- pretty much. :P (Honestly, Bahssikava is less lucrative than even the HLPM- Canopy, considering its level, is much closer to Jeff's scenarios than it may seem.)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #54
Another interesting idea. Almost all of the constructs-- golems, doom guards are humanoid.

Create some non-humanoid constructs-- spider golem, scorpion golem, iron horse, war wheel, etc.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #55
Fine, fine, I edited it up in my post. Just a funny little item though. I figured that the Boxer Shorts would be a monster drop off a trog boss and that the tights would be in the drawer of the Haakai-summoning archmage. :)

You don't like Haakai, fine, but this is a 1v1 deal, so it has to be a monster thing - healing yourself for acid damage every turn for an hour is much more boring than Haakai. Demons make a lot of sense as summoning a "screw you" item on death. What monster(s) should be summoned, if not a Haakai?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #56
Something which I would like to see is more terrain and field effects. There already is a pretty good variety. Basically create a type of terrain or field for each effect in Avernum.

Some which are not covered.

Terrain
Sleeping gas
Acidic ground
Mud-- slows party
Unholy ground-- curses party

Monster Fields

Umberhulk-- confusion field
Brain Beast-- mind control field
Angel-- blessing field
etc.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #57
More terrain is a good idea, you can do the monster effects as scripts but probably not as fields per se. =(

Item: Satchel Charge. Unusual ability, takes a charge. When you use it, enter w, n, s, or e in a dialog box and it creates a hostile monster called Satchel Charge next to you in the matching direction, if that space is open, otherwise it give you back the satchel charge.

Ability: Make Satchel Charge: If party has 2 energetic herbs, mandrake, a fine first aid kit, a character with at least 8 tool use, and a character with at least 10 Potion Making, take the alchemical ingredients and the first aid kit and give the party a Satchel Charge.

Monster: Satchel Charge. 20 HP, immune to physical, mental, cold, acid, and poison. No attacks, and doesn't move. On death, triggers a script which does 250 fire damage to everything in a 2 square radius.

Monster: Necromancer: Sorcerer with a different graphic. Summons a Spectral Warrior every 2 turns. On death, same effect as the Ember-Eye Zombie, but it summons a Ruby Skeleton with 700 health rather than a Burning Bones.

Monster: Beautiful Stalagmite. 2000 HP, immune to cold, poison, and mental, doesn't move, no attacks. Friendly. Drops a Fine Crystal on death.

[ Wednesday, March 16, 2005 13:05: Message edited by: bjlhct2 ]
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #58
Scroll: Dark Prayer: Usable once per day (no charge), hastes entire party, gives user divine protection, -200 experience for user.
Warrior
Member # 182
Profile #59
Stone of Sanctuary: One use per day, similar to a spelshard. Gives everyone within five paces of the user sanctuary (including ememies).

--------------------
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #60
The Dark Prayer is impossible, the "everyone within 5 spaces" is even moreso. (Unless, of course, these are actually Canopizations.)

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #61
Um, if we're talking about scripted effects, those bits are not only possible, but in fact trivial. The only problem is that Sanctuary doesn't exist in BoA.

I mean, you might in theory be able to pull off some sort of strange effect with creature scripts, but that would be difficult.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Um, if we're talking about scripted effects, those bits are not only possible, but in fact trivial. The only problem is that Sanctuary doesn't exist in BoA.

I mean, you might in theory be able to pull off some sort of strange effect with creature scripts, but that would be difficult.

Sir, you are drunk. Sanctuary is status type 14.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #63
Oops. Well, the spell was taken away. I just assumed that meant the status was gone, too.

Interesting.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #64
Item: Gargoyle's Ring: +30 Hardiness, +25% resistance to all damage, -2 AP.
Apprentice
Member # 5048
Profile #65
Monster: Spell-Stealing Shade: Take a Fierce Shade, give it an anti-magic field, and give it a script so that it removes all statuses from party members when it dies.

Pages