Backwater Calls submitted.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Backwater Calls submitted.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #0
I sent my scenario Backwater Calls to spiderweb. Now unfortunately, since I don't have a website of my own, the scenario isn't available until spiderweb processes it (or whatever they do with the scenarios).

Anywho, I'd like to thank all of the betatesters that helped me pull together a more bug-free scenario. Thank you!

Now, I'm off to bed.

[ Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:30: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #1
If you want, I can host it in the BoAC. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
This is a very good scenario. It does a few things which the other scenarios haven't done in terms of story-- a series of excellent small sidequests based on the needs of the characters in the game, as well as a feeling of pathos-- a style that evokes feeling.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #3
Overwhelming, I'm sending my scenario to the BoAC.

And just to be sure: the address in the Submit! section is the address that works, right? (I read from your news that you hadn't recieved your mail in months)

--------------------
Get them here
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #4
Overall I found this to be an extremely worthwhile scenario with some very compelling plot elements and also many of those little extra "attention to detail" tidbits that make a scenario memorable.

I'm glad we're starting to see a run of decent scenarios being produced.

[ Monday, February 28, 2005 23:19: Message edited by: Poit ]

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
I've received it, it's announced and online in the BoAC. :)

Just click the link in my signature to get it!

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 649
Profile #6
It's only for PC?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
No scenario is ever only for PC. I took the liberty of converting the graphics so that Mac players can play -- download the PC version, then download this, unstuff, and put the resulting .cmg into the scenario's folder.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #8
Like Kelandon said: there's no such thing as a "only for Pc scenario". I just forgot to send the mac version to BoAC. Thank you Kelandon for converting the graphics so that mac players can play Backwater Calls too.

But when spiderweb posts the scenario on their site they make the mac version, right? I mean, I don't have to send them a .sit-file.

[ Monday, February 28, 2005 07:33: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
Get them here
Warrior
Member # 649
Profile #9
I have donloaded the PC version from BoAC and the cmg file. But it's not listed as an option when I go to "enter scenario"? Any ideas?
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #10
I changed the news and scenario's page content, and also added that the scenario is not only for PC, it just must be converted. Once the Mac version is available, I'll add it to the site.

--------------------

--------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
My guess, twokids, is that you didn't put it in your scenarios folder.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #12
Well, I sent the Mac version to BoAC, so it should be there within the next 24 hours or so. But it has also appeared in spiderweb's Untried and Untested Table.
So I hope you have fun playing Backwater Calls.

--------------------
Get them here
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #13
The only problems I have found so far were grammatical errors. A TON of those. In the intro text there are one or two. In the scenario itself there are many misspelled words and syntax errors. There is a weapon merchant in the NE town(Grissom? Something like that) and in the descriptive part of the dialogue it says that there is a Greatsword "slammed" on the counter. "Slammed" would be correct if you were describing an action (e.g. "John Slammed the sword down!") but it does not work as a description of how the sword is located in general.
Run your scripts through a spell checker should fix the spelling stuff I imagine(but may be a pain as the SC will catch every AvernumScript line of code adn assume it a spelling error).

Fun scenario so far but it is damned easy, combat-wise. I took a level 30 party that had not done canopy or Bhassikava and mowed through the goblin caves like they were giant rats.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 14:35: Message edited by: SkeleTony ]

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Apprentice
Member # 5350
Profile #14
First let me say this is an amazing scenario. The dialogue is great from the begger in Sattle to the gremlin in Grimson. And this is one of the only scenarios thus far that I have not felt in some way trapped into the story line that the creator intended. That having been said I have a possible bug to report and a two quick questions.
When I purchased a boat in Grimson and proceeded to leave the city I was unable to move anywhere except back into the city. When I left the city a second time I was not able to move the boat anywhere in any direction. I ended up having to load a previous saved game.
And for my questions:
What must you do in the rock, paper, scissors, cave to get passed the levers?
Second, I have made it through a large portion of the scenario, and still have not been able to get passed the guard to see the mayor in Grimson. Is this normal, and if not what must be done to get passed the guard?
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #15
Goatman: Well I checked the boat thing and I could move it anywhere except BACK into the city. Is anyone else having this problem?

And about the levers: There is a person who will tell you what to do with them, assuming you say the right words.
You'll be able to talk to the mayor once you've completed the goblin quest in Fort Laramie. (If you already have done that then show the amulet to the wizard in Grimson.)

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 21:27: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
Get them here
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
Yes to the boat problem good thing I bought two because one disappeared when I reentered town.

Oh and that alter in the middle of the lake does not work. It asks for one Character to sit in the chair you select one, but then nothing happens. At least there is no dialogue box to indicate anything happened.

Oh and there are several spelling mistakes in the opening script and first section of the scenario Lermer sp? and goblin caves area. That's really minor but still. They're more wrong words such as cook instead of cooked an example. Im surprised nobody noticed they're really obvious.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #17
I pointed out the spelling and grammatical errors in my previous post in this thread. There are far too many to even keep track of. Every town and dungeon has at least 10-20 of them it seems.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

An even bigger problem is with the dialogue nodes in the town of Sattle. There is something wrong with the code that is causing nearly every NPC to execute both of two possible dialogues at once, rather than executing only one depending on a specific condition.

For example, the following code is from the backwater Calls scenario and the "t025Sattledlg.txt" file:

quote:

begintalknode 19;
state = 19;
nextstate = -1;
question = "Greetings Mahrmmrrh. What are you doing here?";
text1 = "_No no. Put more stress on the 'mmrr' and to answer your question I work for Master Tybonson. I am his servant or butler, whichever he needs more._";
text2 = "_I see that the nephil in your group has taught you the proper stress on nephilm names. But to answer your question, I work for Master Tybonson. I am his servant or butler whichever he needs more._";
code = if (species_in_party(2) == 0)
remove_string(2);
else
remove_string(1);
break;
I do not yet have a handle on AvernumScript so I cannot say what is wrong but when I talk to Mahrmrrr he responds with BOTH text1 AND text2 if there is a nephil in my party, rather than simply uttering the second text.

Similar problem with teh following code from the same t025Sattledlg.txt:

quote:

begintalknode 28;
state = -1;
nextstate = 29;
question = "Mayor";
text1 = "There are two people sitting round a large desk in this small room. The first is the captain of the troops in Sattle, the second is the mayor. She is in her forties and is currently looking exhausted.";
text2 = "_Mm... looks like we got visitors Bobby. Greetings and welcome to our village, although currently not as peaceful as it used to be._ She gestures at the maps and parchments on the desk.";
text3 = "They are maps of the surrounding areas. _I am mayor Worrington and this is captain Remington. What can we do for you?_";
text4 = "_Mm... looks like we got... By the gods! Bobby look!_ She points at a slith in your group. _What are you doing here? How did you get in here._ The captain speaks. _Calm down Evelyn. I'm sure this is not our enemy._";
text5 = "The mayor is still sitting around her desk.";
action = INTRO;
code = if (species_in_party(3) == 0)
remove_string(4);
else {
remove_string(2);
remove_string(3);
}

The NPC responds with two or more of the possible responses when I have a slith in my party rather than using one or the other. The result(as is the case with the Mahrmrrr dialogue) is a repition of the "Mmm...looks like we got..." with both variations being displayed at once in teh dialogue box.

Hope this helps. There are many otehr problems but I will have to get to those later.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #18
SkeleTony: I tried to duplicate the bugs you pointed out but couldn't. I used a human singleton, a 1 slith, 1 nephil, 2 humans party and a four slith party. If you could tell me what kind of party you are using (mainly what races you have) then I could figure out what the problem is.
About the grammar: Oh shoot! I thought I corrected most of the mistakes. :(
But please, have mercy! English is not my native language. (and as excuses go: this isn't that good, I know. I guess I just rushed into submitting the scenario, not caring much about the grammar. *sigh!*)

EDIT: Sheesh! Now that I've run the dialog and such through a spell checker, I'll ask myself this: Why the hell didn't it cross my mind to do this BEFORE I submitted the scenario? *deep sigh!*

[ Thursday, March 03, 2005 04:56: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
Get them here
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #19
Smoo: My party was a 1 slith, 1 nephil, 2 human party. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I took the boat from Grimson and went stright to that town that was ruined by undead and from there went right over to Sattle. Perhaps I skipped some important step or something that is causing this but it seems like, for whatever reason, the non-applicable dialogue options are just not being removed as dialogue is initiated.

I figured that english was not your native languge and this is a minor nitpick anyway. I only mentioned the grammar concerns because there were so many of them(albeit minor infractions) that I thought you might want to know incase you are updating sometime and run out of bugs to fix.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #20
I doubt any of that has anything to do with the problem. If anyone has any clue as to what might be causing this problem, then please, do share.

Don't take my whining the wrong way: I'm glad you brought the typos
up :)
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

You'll be able to talk to the mayor once you've completed the goblin quest in Fort Laramie. (If you already have done that then show the amulet to the wizard in Grimson.)
Doesn't work for me. I showed the amulet to Benedict, then to Bearworth. He doesn't react - I'm stuck somehow.
How can I cure Sigmund? I brought him herbal tea and curing elixiers - he just stares at me.

It's an interesting scenario with loving details - but not polished IMO (yeah ... typos :rolleyes: ). I wonder why your betatesters not complained.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
The race identification errors were added post-beta. (At my behest, actually.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #23
Yeah I cant understand why none of the beta testers found the typos. If English isn't your native language Im sure it was theirs. Oh and you need to get graymold salve form that wizard in the hut to cure Sigmund.

Has any one else had problems with the alter in the lake or was it just me?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Yeah I cant understand why none of the beta testers found the typos. If English isn't your native language Im sure it was theirs.
When I betatest a scenario that's mostly grammatically sound, I frequently end up with a list of 5-10 pages of typos to report. Cleaning up after people with consistently bad grammar gets tiresome pretty fast, and there comes a point where most testers will just give up.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages