Backwater Calls submitted.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Backwater Calls submitted.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Oh and that alter in the middle of the lake does not work. It asks for one Character to sit in the chair you select one, but then nothing happens. At least there is no dialogue box to indicate anything happened.
Was the character you tried to sit in the chair a slith? Due to misplaced parentheses the script wouldn't run if the character on the chair was a slith. I fixed that one.
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:
quote:Originally written by Smoo:
You'll be able to talk to the mayor once you've completed the goblin quest in Fort Laramie. (If you already have done that then show the amulet to the wizard in Grimson.)

Doesn't work for me. I showed the amulet to Benedict, then to Bearworth. He doesn't react - I'm stuck somehow.
You mean you could show Bearworth the amulet and he says the "follow me" - routine, but then just wanders around? Have you tried showing the amulet several times? Load your game and try again. For some reason the script doesn't always work. I think it was about one out of twenty that it didn't work for me. In case you're still stuck, please answer these questions. What have you done so far? When you started the scenario did you go straight to the goblin caves and then to Grimson or did you wander around?

Oh and the boats, I believe I fixed that problem as well.

About the typos: The beta testers did bring them up, but they did it more like this: There are SOME typos, but it's not that big a deal. What they should have said was: GAH! Way too many typos! This is crap! Absolute crap! Fix them now! Apparently if I'm not shouted at I can't tell if anything's wrong.

[ Thursday, March 03, 2005 21:31: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #26
I showed Bearworth the amulet, he said: "follow me" - and disappeared! (and Kenny didn't let me pass.) When I revisited Grimson, Bearworth was again in the town hall but the amulet-text didn't pop up any more.

Yes, I did wander around, also in Grimson, before I went to the Goblins Lair.

And the altar in the lake didn't work for me neither. At least I did not find out, what it should have done.

I think, I'll start a new game. And I go first to the Goblins then ^_^
(Uh, the critters killed both of my fighters last time ...)

edit: Ah, now it worked: Bearworth waited for me.
Poor Kenny! *laughter* This is one of the funniest scenarios I think.
And thank you VCH, I'll try it with the graymold salve.

[ Friday, March 04, 2005 07:07: Message edited by: spy.there ]

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #27
Thuryl hit it on the head- after a page of typoes and grammar corrections, I just told Smoo to run his scenario through a spellchecking device.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #28
Fer Real that would have been the best thing to do. Its still really minor Smoo can work on that next scenario. But one thing I really think somebody should have caught was the duplicate text in the outro. It was obviously copied then pasted, twice.

[ Friday, March 04, 2005 13:51: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #29
Can you join the temple in the main town? and who needs the bat's head? also my human character sat in the chair and nothing happens.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #30
A little bit late, but the Mac version was uploaded. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Akeipas:

...and who needs the bat's head?
For showing you a secret entrance to the north, the wizard in the lonely hut asks you to bring him two special items. One of them is the bat's head.

:( Smoo, that lever-puzzle drives me insane. Did somebody find out how to handle the scissor-stone-paper-levers?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #32
[quote=Akeipas
Can you join the temple in the main town? [/quote]No you can't. Besides, you really want to bring the priest the heads of ten unbelievers and donate all your money to the church?

quote]Originally written by spy.there
:( Smoo, that lever-puzzle drives me insane. Did somebody find out how to handle the scissor-stone-paper-levers? [/quote]I assume that you said you didn't hate the Empire to the grumpy old man in Grimson. If you said yes then do as the old man said and the people you were suppose to contact in Sattle will tell you the right combination. But if you really want to know the right combination and not hate the Empire then the right one is: first pull the blank lever, then rock, paper, scissors and rock.

[ Saturday, March 05, 2005 21:15: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
Get them here
Apprentice
Member # 5350
Profile #33
Ok so I am replaying the scenario and once again I am having some problems with the boats in Grimson. No matter what space I leave the city from in the boat I am put in a space outside of the city where the only place that I can move is directly north back into the city or north east which is land (thus causing me to leave the boat). But When I move north back into the city it places my party on a single tile space in the water without a boat. From there if I move in any direction it once again takes me out of the city. At this point it is impossible to move in any direction or do anything.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
Screenshots would probably be helpful.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #35
Okay GoatMan as I previously said I believe I fixed that one. This does not help your situation, however, since I was hoping that I could fix all the problems reported before sending an updated version to BoAC. Alas, I forfeit. I cannot figure out what's causing the dialog to go crazy in Sattle, reported by SkeleTony or what is causing Bearworth occasionally to disappear after giving him the goblin amulet. I'll continue to try and figure out a solution to these problems, but I'll send an updated version to BoAC.

So the things I believe I fixed are:
- The boats should now work properly.
- The altar on the island should work as it's supposed to.
- I ran all the text files through a spell checker, so the amount of typos should have dropped dramatically.

--------------------
Get them here
Warrior
Member # 1425
Profile #36
The wizard in the hut just sells Balm of Life and no Graymold Salve.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #37
Just in case you didn't check it by now, the updated version is online in the BoAC. :)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Akeipas:
The wizard in the hut just sells Balm of Life and no Graymold Salve.
He's not suppose to sell you the Graymold Salve. He'll give it to you in exchange for either the bat head or another special item. He does mention what he wants after you get to ask him about the passage to the valley. Oh, and you can only get the Salve after you've given the wizard the first item he wants.

--------------------
Get them here
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #39
Or you could just make the graymold salve. If you have that recipe. Sigmunds stupid any way I wouldn't cure him again if I played through once more.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:17: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 5415
Profile #40
I haven't finished this one yet, up to just about going into the demon fort, but I have run into all sorts of bugs. I don't know which of these are fixed, but here it goes:

*All human party, altar on island didn't work.
*The crazy dead wizard never asks me for any items like a bathead or anything, but I can go spell unlock the door and go to the trapdoor, wehre it tells me "just like he said, it's here" but he never said it was there. And he offers me the cheap prices but I tried for the good armor, found I was carrying too much, stopped to move items around to have enough weight and went back and prices went back to insanely high again.
*I also cannot see the mayor at all, no matter what I do. I showed the thing to Bear and he disappears and the guard wouldn't let me in. After that Bear never gives the option to discuss the amulet again.
*I killed the sliths on the hill, killed the ones in the mine, came out and a text box popped up claiming that soldiers were attacking sliths on the hill and I'd better get there and help... but of course they weren;t because they were dead already.
*That town near the sliths seems to frequently give me all the answers to every dialog all at once. When I went into the pub, the people drinking there simulateously responded politely, responded rudely AND thanked me for killing the sliths even before I did.
*Similarly, the code for giving answers based upon having a slith in the main party gets triggered when I have the slith following me. So the sculptor asks me to pose for a month, etc.
*The messenger that I get from undead overrun town... somebody in the town he goes back to tells me that I should go talk to him and that he's in his house and wants to give me a reward, but I looked through every house there and he isn't in any of them.
*When I stole the book from the vampire and he was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, I returned the book, he left, and then I tried to follow him and a text box came up telling me not to go that way because the vamp doesn't know I'm back here. Of course he does, I just was talking to him.

Man, and I'm sure there were more too... I should have written them all down...

I really like the scenario, but between the numerous spelling errors and bugs I'm finding it hard to believe that any beta testing was done. I hope with the errors that have happened that it's still possible to finish.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #41
quote:
I hope with the errors that have happened that it's still possible to finish.
Yes, it is. And Smoo, don't despair. This is a fine scenario and I really liked to play it. If there is code that gives you a headache and you don't know how to fix, why not ask someone to help you in the forums? Others have done that before.

edit: the boats worked for me, but I also experienced the altar bug, the soldiers asked for help after I'd cleaned the mines, and the wizard in Sattle ignored me at first. He let me talk to the major eventually, but never examined the amulet. Being the pragmatic type, I didn't force the issue, just went on to see that obliging vampire.
I didn't talk much with the wizard in the hut, so I missed out on a few things there. I entered the fortress terrain via main entrance after a battle, exploring led me to the pond where I found an alternate route leading back to the wizard and got the message that this is the route the wizard told me about. Well, he hadn't, as I hadn't asked.

Is it alright that I never met commander Griffith? Couldn't find him.
I'll download the updated version and give you a feedback.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 21:10: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by DreamGuy:

*All human party, altar on island didn't work.
*The crazy dead wizard never asks me for any items like a bathead or anything, but I can go spell unlock the door and go to the trapdoor, wehre it tells me "just like he said, it's here" but he never said it was there. And he offers me the cheap prices but I tried for the good armor, found I was carrying too much, stopped to move items around to have enough weight and went back and prices went back to insanely high again.
*I also cannot see the mayor at all, no matter what I do. I showed the thing to Bear and he disappears and the guard wouldn't let me in. After that Bear never gives the option to discuss the amulet again.
*I killed the sliths on the hill, killed the ones in the mine, came out and a text box popped up claiming that soldiers were attacking sliths on the hill and I'd better get there and help... but of course they weren;t because they were dead already.
*That town near the sliths seems to frequently give me all the answers to every dialog all at once. When I went into the pub, the people drinking there simulateously responded politely, responded rudely AND thanked me for killing the sliths even before I did.
*Similarly, the code for giving answers based upon having a slith in the main party gets triggered when I have the slith following me. So the sculptor asks me to pose for a month, etc.
*The messenger that I get from undead overrun town... somebody in the town he goes back to tells me that I should go talk to him and that he's in his house and wants to give me a reward, but I looked through every house there and he isn't in any of them.
*When I stole the book from the vampire and he was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, I returned the book, he left, and then I tried to follow him and a text box came up telling me not to go that way because the vamp doesn't know I'm back here. Of course he does, I just was talking to him.
- You probably WON'T be able to finish the scenario if you don't have the demon amulet and you probably don't have it since you haven't been able to talk to the mayor. If you edited the code a little you could try showing the amulet to Bearworth again. Open the t01Grimsondlg.txt - file and find the question "What can you tell me about this amulet?" Just put // in front of the condition above the question and you should be able to show the amulet to Bearworth as many times as you like. As for the rest of the bugs you pointed out:
- The altar and the slith hill should work properly in the latest version.
- I guess I'll just remove the "like the wizard told you part" from the rune node in the secret passage.
- That problem with Bearworth is still unfixed, but I'll add a way to bully the door guard to let you see the mayor if you've done what vampire asks. This doesn't fix the problem but it's a way of going around it.
- Ah, so someone else's Sattle dialog is also buggy. If you could tell what you did before entering Sattle, what towns you visited etc. then maybe I could pinpoint the problem.
- The messenger should be in the most south-western house, but obviously for you he isn't there.
- About the sculptor and the book-thing with the vampire: Whoops! I'll fix those.
- And if you'll download the latest version at BoAC, you'll enjoy a more typo-free demon fortress.

quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Sigmunds stupid any way I wouldn't cure him again if I played through once more.

He can be a bit rude when he's well, can't he? :D

--------------------
Get them here
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #43
quote:
You probably WON'T be able to finish the scenario if you don't have the demon amulet and you probably don't have it since you haven't been able to talk to the mayor.
I don't understand this, Smoo. When I talked to the mayor, he gave me some papers I never used nor needed. More than that he didn't do. The goblin quest was one of the last I went on, I had already done battle with the haakai at the gates. So I got the amulet late in the game, and when the wizard didn't react, the vampire's help made up for that.

edit: that reminds me of something. The rebels helped me fight the haakai lord, although I had inadvertently killed them before.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 02:10: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #44
The problem is that the vampire won't make the demon amulet unless the player has talked with the mayor. So if DreamGuy can't talk with the mayor he can't get the demon amulet. Now I suppose he could kill the vampire and steal his book and show it to Bearworth. This is, by the way, the only way you can get the demon amulet from Bearworth.

Oh and the papers the mayor gives you are a bit useless. You can, for example, show them to all of the captains in the towns.

And ef: You never found Griffith? Not that it matters but he's supposed to be in the barracks opposite of the warehouses in the first town.
And about the rebels: How did you inadvertently killed them?

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 03:54: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
Get them here
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #45
Thanks for explaining.
I searched high and low for Griffith, but couldn't find him. But I've downloaded the new version, so that may change.
I came upon the rebels by chance, while exploring some caves. I would have liked to talk with them, but they drew weapon and attacked. When they were dead, I met their leader, who, surprisingly, talked with me. I had just promised help when his mad brother appeared, summoned some nasty creatures before I could ever say Hello, and they attacked and killed the rebel leader. I then, in turn, took the wizard's life, because I thought him a nuisance.
But, when I finally met the Haakai Lord, they all reappeared and fought on my side. Now, that's loyalty! :)

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #46
I finally managed to play the scenario how it should be - fulfilling every quest and with the rebels helping me at the end. Well, it is complicated but I enjoyed it, specially the humorous surprises all the time and the witty dialogues.

But I got lots of errors! I have Mac OS 9.2 and downloaded the newest version from BoAC.
- Every time, I started: "The game just failed to load this graphic: sheet 511 (or 512), icon 0."
- I had no screenpics at the start (the map and all that).
- Goblin shamans and charged goblins were not visible.
- the steel helmet in the goblin's box (the reward) was not visible.
-Infernal troopers were not visible (that killed me more than once :P )
-the chests in the slith's cave (where the miner is hiding) were not visible.
- Kaejil Nyh'yltak was not visible.
-When one PC was killed in an outdoor battle, I could not pick up his items, the item-window did not appear.
-When I asked Bearworth for training, this text appeared in a window: "Bearworth trains you in magery, you actually learn something useful.
Bearworth shakes his head: sorry, you don't have what it takes to learn magery." So what? Did he train or not? It should be the one or the other possibility, not both in the same time.
- I had problems to re-enter the small pond. I came several times just into a black screen (But it worked finally).
-The worst bug of all: the game slowed awfully down in certain parts. In the infernal pit it took about four seconds for every move. I fought more than one hour against (the invisible) Kaejil N. and his cronies.
Did somebody else have these problems?

The boat worked fine (it did always) and the altar on the island too. I suppose it did, because I had a textwindow this time saying something about "feeling stronger".
quote:
by ef: ... I entered the fortress terrain via main entrance after a battle, ...
:eek: How did you do this with a level 30-party?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #47
Strange... Those bugs you mention didn't happen in my game session. I'm using the PC version, but I always assumed that the only difference between the two versions is how BoA handles the pics... So the scripts should be the same. :confused:

--------------------

--------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #48
quote:
How did you do this with a level 30-party?
It was not a level 30 party. I used the one that had returned from Bahssikava. But even with a level 30 party, it depends. You'd need Invulnerability and Energy Potions, Repel Spirit at a decent level, Cloud of Blades and lots of hacking.

edit: Spy, download the Mac version from spidweb and give a feedback, will you?

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 04:41: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #49
spy.there:
I'm not sure why the graphics aren't working. Are you sure the graphic files are in the same folder as the remote.bas - file?
quote:
-When one PC was killed in an outdoor battle, I could not pick up his items, the item-window did not appear.
-When I asked Bearworth for training, this text appeared in a window: "Bearworth trains you in magery, you actually learn something useful.
Bearworth shakes his head: sorry, you don't have what it takes to learn magery." So what? Did he train or not? It should be the one or the other possibility, not both in the same time.
- I had problems to re-enter the small pond. I came several times just into a black screen (But it worked finally).
-The worst bug of all: the game slowed awfully down in certain parts. In the infernal pit it took about four seconds for every move. I fought more than one hour against (the invisible) Kaejil N. and his cronies.

- I have no idea what I did to cause the item-window to disappear. This only happened once? Which fight?
- Crud, I really thought I fixed that one. It really IS suppose to show only one of the texts and it usually does that. Hmmm... Did the character you tried to train have some levels of skill in priest spell?
- I'm clueless once more. I think one of the beta-testers had the same kind of problem, but this never happened when I was playing. Same thing with the game slowing down. Never happened to me. Me saying this isn't helping, I know.

ef:
Rest assured, in the future versions the rebels will NOT be coming to help you if you kill them. Even if you spared their leader. I'm pretty sure you met Griffith, now that I think about it. He's the one that gave you the "Permit to Leave". You did get that right?

--------------------
Get them here

Pages