Board Degeneration

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Board Degeneration
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #50
Someone with ultimate authority? Only two members on these boards can take that role then, and only other posts actively.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #51
Eh, mods have enough "absolute power" for that.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

This means you, TM. Can you please try to participate in an RP without Rakshasi or Echoes?
If you have a problem with the former, you can violently screw yourself. (Hell, if you have a problem with the latter, you can screw yourself as well.)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #53
TM, more nice behaviour please. You know how this is done.
Edit: when things change, it is foolish to pretend they are the same.

[ Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:38: Message edited by: Saunders ]

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #54
I still think all we need is to shun those who are not contributing (i.e. spam, god-like chars, etc). The only reason this doesn't work is that people get mad, or feel sorry, and start talking to/about the person in the RP, and then everyone else ignores the shun as well. If a mod could watch over them and simply delete anything that ignores the shun, it would help a lot.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #55
I guess we have a choice between totalitarianism and anarchy. :( Which is the smaller evil?

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #56
I would have to agree with a lot of what has been said above, and in fact I had been thinkung of posting a similar topic for a while. While I admit to saying some very dumb things in the past, (Esp. the reference to suicide notes.) but then no one is perfect, however people like zephyr are very childish, even though I can be childish myself, I'm not while im on these boards. I'm 17 years old which I suppose means that I could be classed by some as reasonably mature, I do have some bizzare views, but hell where would we be without one shy, insecure, poorly dressed wierd guy, huh?

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #57
Why do we have to choose between the two? On the forums, anarchy is kind of hard to prevent, but the mods should still have power... I don't know how you'd describe this government type, actually.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Expanding Man:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

This means you, TM. Can you please try to participate in an RP without Rakshasi or Echoes?
If you have a problem with the former, you can violently screw yourself. (Hell, if you have a problem with the latter, you can screw yourself as well.)

Rakshasi are generally overpowered characters, what with the magic absorption and all. Also, you tend to hijack all of the plots. It would be fine if you just went along with someone else's plot instead of making Deacon or someone always be the bad boy behind everyone else.

And David, it's more like an oligarchy.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #59
Oligarchy or monarchy, the thing is; they still need to have absolute power in the boards, otherwise spammers will just ruin the whole thing. That's what I meant; we have a choice between having the boards spammed back to the stone-age, or we can have a lot of mods and admins with ultimate power - preferably arranged around the time zones so that they can work shifts around the clock - who delete every topic that shows the first sign of being spam, instead of locking them.

I don't really think the second option is better: It would form the boards into something where you're afraid of clicking the post button for fear of being banned (or canned), and boards should have such a thing as freedom of speech. But if it stops the spammers... :(

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #60
Now hold on a second. The mods already have that power, and the boards aren't anything like you described. Just telling the mods it's OK to delete spam posts and ban spammers won't result in a reign of terror: all the current mods are reasonable people, none of them have particular grudges against any members, and I don't think we need to worry about them getting power-mad.

TM: While there's nothing wrong per se with your introducing Rakshasi or Echoes into every RP you see, the fact that you don't wait until a convenient point in the already existing storyline when no-one will mind if you take over and completely rewrite it, and nor do you 'let' other people develop 'your' plot, not to mention the fact that you have a tendancy to spend a page flaming if anyone so much as suggests hey'd like to continue the origional plot. Which is, I suspect, what Drakey's talking about, at least in part.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #61
It is always amusing how some people start yelling things like "reign of terror" or "evil dictatorship" when mods and admins punish the evildoers. These people will of course also complain how the board is filled with spammers and how something should be done about it.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #62
Reading the posts I get the impression that the original suggestion was not to reorganize the board. Refering to the current RP situation, the poster wanted to install someone as game leader who was not involved in the game itself, but watched over it. Not a bad idea, and close to what Alex asked Imban to do and he agreed to. Though without the authority to remove people who are not manageable the whole thing is meaningless.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #63
My main reasons for starting this entire discussion was to point out the degradations of the posts. I had noticed, as did others, many locked/closed topics, a great deal of nonsense threads like "why am I canned", and the breakdown in the RPs. I would not even suggest a revamping of the board structure as it is very good the way it is.

What I was hoping for was a refinement in the way RPs are run. I believe there should be some fundamental rules and definitely believe that the initiator of the RP set up guidelines and a basic plot in the first post. As with everything else in a free society though, there are some who ignore rules and even scoff at basic ettiquette. These people should, IMHO, be warned first, and then banned from further postings in that RP. This would require, as suggested, an actual DM/GM who could either remove posts from the offender or contact a mod who could remove the posts. [Edit] Or a way to lock abusers out of certain topics, if this is possible.

Attempting to RP around the malignant poster would only work for some. There are some posters who would realize they've been ignored and would just flood the RP with nonsense, as they've already done. While I realize the offenders(at least the most prolific) are very young, they are not too young to be taught basic manners. Apparently the foundation that would normally be laid via parenting, has not set in, so perhaps it is time they learn by other methods, as others have/should.

I feel that many here would like to partake in a good RP from time to time. I also think that many do not even try as they can readily see the directions they take. I know I stay away from them because of the arguments and the ever shifting skills of near godlike characters.

John

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 06:47: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Warrior
Member # 2570
Profile #64
Board degeneration is the Fate.Entropy can't be stopped.Anarchy will prevail,and Kekkonen shall descent to punish us all.

And as long as Alorael and Drakefyre exist,there will be some hope.

--------------------
Speed and power!
Galaxies explode!
And Kekkonen shall descent to punish us all!
It's armageddon,it's armageddon!
It's the Day of Kekkonen!

"But Dirt Dragon rulz 0k.Dirt Dragon would HäX0r HAL 9000 in 10 seconds if he would get a keyboard!!!!111111YAY DITR DRAONG RULZ 0K YAY LOL OMG WTF!!!!!!11111"

Join our *wonderfull* "party" at The Club of All!

Join our *lovely* Cult at Dominions X!

Iä, Iä my brother...
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #65
OK, how about this: When a RP is started, we don't actually start until we have a mod who has promised to be the RPM. The RPM (Role-Playing Master) will have the power to set down rules and guidelines to prevent god-like characters, and will also have the power to give warnings. Three warnings will result in a ban from the topic, which means that if the person posts anything in the topic, it will be deleted by the RPM, and until it is deleted, it will be simply ignored by all the other members of the RP. This ban is permanent, unless the mod specifies otherwise, such as "In a week, if the topic is still open, you may rejoin with another character", or "After 100 posts by other members of this RP, you may rejoin using the same character".

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #66
You forget, that there are pricks like me, Zephyr and Shaper who wouldn't obey the order.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #67
Sounds good to me, for the most part. As my RPs have shown, simply telling everyone to ignore the person doesn't work. There will still be complaining about the post until it is deleted, and even then, there is nothing to stop them from continuing to post anyway. Therefore, there must be some punishment for failing to comply with these shuns.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #68
quote:
You forget, that there are pricks like me, Zephyr and Shaper who wouldn't obey the order.

I like plain dealing, TGM. If someone is not willing to play by the rules, s/he should be honest enough to say so: I'm not interested in contributing to this RP, I'm interested in destroying it, because that is more fun. Then everyone knows and noone backs down to false pity.

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 08:05: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #69
Uh, I don't post in RPs just because I can't type well enough, and thus they aren't intresting to me. Zephyr has shown many times that he doesn't care about not actually liking the RP. Destroying it is still fun to him.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #70
Yes, and if I had known how to make everyone shut up and wait, I would have had it out with him in my way. Though that might have crashed the board.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #71
LOL ef!! It would have been fun to watch. I don't imagine you'd get too far though. I have read of one who tried to work with him one-on-one but to no avail. Dare you tread therein?

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #72
No, it would not have been fun to watch. I have lost control only once on this board and thought myself very polite considering my rage. I'll always love Alec for coming to my rescue, when everybody else just thought me a bomb.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #73
Fun in a tragic sense, I suppose, would have been more appropriate--and perhaps fun in the "I'm not alone in this others hate it too" sense. I can well understand your phrasing about losing control. I was getting close and I believe you saw me headed that way; and thanks for bringing me back to common sense. The posts were getting so very close to "Uh-huh..", "Nuh-uh..no takebacks".

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #74
Sir David:
Although your ideas are good, I would suggest we hardly need to lay down the law in general: Different RPs have different levels of seriousness, and thus can cope with different levels of stupidity. However, it is true that a co-operative mod would have been useful in several of our RPs.
On that note, there's a feature I've seen on other boards where you can make a 'sub-board' which is in reality a single thread, but on which someone can be made a mod without giving them mod powers anywhere else. I don't suppose there's the remotest chance that's available on UBB?

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.

Pages