Board Degeneration

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Board Degeneration
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
There is not the remotest chance of such a thing existing on a UBB.

Moderators aren't needed to carefully watch every RP, either. If there are rules or at least understood conventions and somebody is breaking them and unwilling to stop, just ask a friendly mod to hit them with a waveblade, bullet, mango, or anything else that comes conveniently to hand. We don't like spammers much either.

—Alorael, who would like to stop the degeneration a bit more and ask TGM to change his name. Profanity is not allowed and you know it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 734
Profile #76
one thing was mentioned and never really addressed a few pages back. There are several members of this board who I think badly abuse the ability to change your display name (not that I even know who they are anymore).

Is there anything that can be done to fix this. I'm getting head ache trying to figure out who is posting, who I am reply to, etc, etc when the names seem to change daily.

I understand outgrowing a nickname, but it happens way too often. It sometimes seems that the frequent changes have alot to do with the spammers hiding behind the ability to change displayed names.

--------------------
Instant Human-Just add liberal doses of Coffee.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #77
Well if you will notice Alec and TM also change their names (changed, I should say in Alec's case) very frequently, and though they can be accused of many things, spamming is not one of them. And it would be a bit unfair to make some people change their name less often without making everyone do the same, and then it would be unfair to those who don't spam... you know... that kind of thing... plus what can you do about it?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #78
Done, Alo, I hope I didn't ruin your life with that name. That is all.

And devlish, uhh, I'm the only one Drakey has punished for that. You'll know it by checking my older profile.

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 22:55: Message edited by: MODERATOR IZ EVAL ]

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #79
Quite a few people change their names just for comedy value. It can get irritating, but they find it amusing, and there's no real reason to stop them. If you see a post with an unrecognisable name attached, ignore the author and just pay attention to what they are saying...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #80
In the right frame of mind, I love a good RP, but there are so many ways they can go wrong, for example:

Hijacking by one person who wants to control the story

Introduction of a god character whois too powerful for the scenario

Descent into chaos as somebody has not read the other contributions and does not cooperate

Overcomplexity when too many people get involved and too many plot lines are running

Overindulgent very long posts, especially without paragraph breaks

Sudden absence of a key player who has not given other people permission to play their character

I am aware that there are RPs elsewhere that are well run and I still don't have the heart to join in. Even Canal is stalled right now.

Oh, policing an RP as a mod also puts one in the firing line for a barrage of complaints: Can you do something about So-and-so who is being silly and spoiling our RP? etc.

Yours, old, bitter and twisted.

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 00:53: Message edited by: Saunders ]

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #81
You see, if someone wouldn't obey an RP ban, they'd have a temporary forum ban, which would then turn into a permanent ban if they tried to evade it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #82
quote:
one thing was mentioned and never really addressed a few pages back. There are several members of this board who I think badly abuse the ability to change your display name (not that I even know who they are anymore).
Agreed. This does make it difficult to track who is who. I am relatively new on the boards and find it difficult to know who is who. The displayed name may be "Freddie the Fruit Monger" but those who've been in the group longer will refer to that poster by an old name or initials making it very difficult to track. A good example of this disconnect is Zephyr. A lot of folks refer to him as FB. I know who they mean only because I had seen the post about Flame Blade.

There are many new names and I will be reading a thread and see references to Alec, TM, or TGM. I used to know who they were but now all the names are new. Seems to me that, if names are to be used, they should be the ones currently displayed. After all, if Terror's Martyr (I think that is where it comes from, like I say I'm lost here :) ) wanted to still be called that, then why the name change to begin with.

[Edit] Oh, I am *not* singling anyone in particular. The ones I named are just ones I know who've changed their names. I am not angry in any way, just get confused as to who's who :P

When you read a thread, there will be a post that says something like "good one Alec" or "why'd you say that TGM". If there is no quoting you go back to check other posts to see what it was that TGM/Alec says and there is no name to match. See what I mean? Oh I am soooo confus-ed.... :P

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 01:48: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #83
The name change issue is an interesting one.

Some people change occasionaly but recognisable to indicate a mood change, others quite frequently, maybe feeling they are well enough known to be recognised by their member number.

Some start a new account to make a new start, and others to try to evade the disapproval that they had accrued with the old identity.

There was a while when I felt my "Saunders" persona had got too nice and was not letting me get away with the odd sarcastic comment, but after a while with the new name it was uncomfortable and I switched back.

Using the old name, such as TM or LF lets the culprit know they are recognised and are not geting away with it. Drake tends to give the worst offenders a special title to make them recognisable: I think tGM (the Great Mister) has started a new account to lose that title, but I can't see TM sacrificing his membership # 4!

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #84
I don't care if they change their name, heck I did that too, from Felwynne to Flavius. And I understand the bit about referring to them in the old name as a way of saying, "Hey! I *know* who you are." It does get confusing though...

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #85
Though it may be a bit confusing at first, it also conveys a feeling of identity through all the changes, Felwynne. Or should I call you Zipper Teapot, Flavius?

Refering to Drakey's last post: seems a good solution to me.

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 02:01: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #86
Ouch! Forgot about that one... I do believe it was Zippy Teapot though...

Point taken...

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #87
You can recognize a person with their member number, their title, or their signature usually. For me, it's just uncomfortable to address TM as "Expanding Man" or Alec as "La Mort". A good way to go about it is looking at people's special titles.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #88
Most of the people who change their names frequently have been given custom titles.
(Note:*blahblahblah*=crossed out
Name Known By |Abbr. |Title
TerrorsMartyr |TM |Trademark
Bob the Impaler |BtI |This Side Toward Enemy
The Great Mister|TGM |[B](TGM)[/B]
Alec Kyras |Alec |*Triad Mage**Banned*Veteran
Thuryl |Thuryl|...b10010b...
That's all I can remember now. Djur used to be Babelicious, until he "left".

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #89
quote:
Originally written by Saunders:

I think tGM (the Great Mister) has started a new account to lose that title, but I can't see TM sacrificing his membership # 4!
Uh, I made a new account to start from the scatch, and, ahem, imitate people, like SAPHER and Zapper Tambust. This only resulted to flamewars as someone else (Felwynne) started doing it too (I'm not complaining, it was good that he made me stop by doing so. :P )

Then I realized the potential of a new account, as all of you wouldn't probably wouldn't recognize me, and thus not dislike me (cut the crap, all of you, I'm too teen to listen to you.)

And uhh, TM has a good title, why would he want to lose it?

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 03:43: Message edited by: MODERATOR IZ EVAL ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #90
That universal dislike is a weird vision of yours, TGM. Very unreal. Why not change it?

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #91
I'm a victim of mass-media. They (along with everything else we shall not discuss about) have made me believe I suck for I'm not handsome, athletic, wise and crap. Blame them. I CAN'T CONTROL IT.

[/uhhsarcasmsonny]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #92
So you are your individual self and not some artificial dummy? Deplorable.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #93
quote:
Uh, I made a new account to start from the scatch, and, ahem, imitate people, like SAPHER and Zapper Tambust. This only resulted to flamewars as someone else (Felwynne) started doing it too (I'm not complaining, it was good that he made me stop by doing so. )

I think we had the idea about the same time. I started and then saw yours. Had a good laugh (FB's reactions were kinda humorous), but when I saw the flames starting up I backed off (That, and the fact that FB did not catch on to the subtle, ok, blatant sarcasms therein). Also, a small comment by ef helped bring back some sanity so I quit too. :)

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 04:54: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #94
hey, at least FB doesn't seem to be here anymore. he probably didn't have the attention span to stay so long :) .

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #95
His forum has given him something to digest, you know.

--------------------
Polaris
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #96
*ahem* xxo and i had to manhandle it for him, FYI.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #97
I'm aware of that.

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #98
Damn, I've forgot to visit..

Oh, and "deplorable?"

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 07:27: Message edited by: MODERATOR IZ EVAL ]

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #99
I used to change my name occasionally - I was False Knight for a while, and I changed to Kaworu during the Tim thing.

Pages