Board Degeneration

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Board Degeneration
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
I'm glad that you and VWM have progressed, and it shows that second chances can help people. However, SM, Tails, and Shotts show that they don't always work, and it's best to end those as soon as it's apparent that they've failed.

TGM, really, nobody hates you. Some of your posts are annoying, but they're not really bad unless you post up a storm, like you did with SM.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #26
quote:
Originally posted by Flavius:
Take a look at Zephyr's new boards and tell me if they are really what you want. There is an entire thread that is nothing but infantile nonsense
Zephyr had nothing to do with the way those threads went. If you'll notice, he didn't post any "infantile nonsense" there.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #27
Uhh. Imby and Drakey, you still telling me that? Doesn't work anymore.. no wait, never has.

I'll stop my postification, anyhoo, just to prevent any more kicks in the groin. Stop people flaming me, I'll stop flaming back. Simple.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #28
Okay, okay. At the very least, I don't hate you. TM might, but I don't. :P

Also, I must point out that xxo is quite correct - FB's board has been invaded by ninjas.
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #29
Aggreed on the point of the ninja invasion to Zephyr's boards. I was kind of hoping he'd be successful and, well, post there instead :P

[Edit] I just took another look at FB's boards. They have gotten worse since this morning. Somebody is being quite nasty to FB which really is not cool either.

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 10:24: Message edited by: Flavius ]

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #30
Went there. The 'highly offensive and oft unfunny' getting back at him?

--------------------
Polaris
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #31
Yes, but what for?

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #32
most likely the crap he posted in the RPs.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #33
For things like this:

Zephyr:
quote:
I don't care, you still have to do what I said if you want me to stop causing so many problems.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #34
I thought the same; that it is some from here getting "even" in their own twisted way. The example you quoted of the possible why is appropos and there are many examples like it. I tried to get him to be more considerate as did others.

xxo: Good job with your parts on the site. I know you are trying to help him. The "ninja" posts will stop after a while. They'll get tired of it.

John

--------------------
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Larry Hardiman
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #35
Edit: Stupid post removed.
The lesson for today: stay away from Internet when you are in very bad mood.

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 19:24: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However, well-placed word, unlike a well-placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #36
Zeviz? I'd like to point out to you that there are like 7 or 8 locked topics on page 1 alone.

They're leaving because General has turned into a war zone, not because the moderators are being lazy and letting things go by.
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #37
*sigh* This happens to a lot of forums... trolls suck. Spammers suck.
I'm quite an experienced RPer in threads, so maybe I'll join in and try to implement some creative characters.
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #38
*sigh* This happens to a lot of forums... trolls suck. Spammers suck.
I'm quite an experienced RPer in threads, so maybe I'll join in and try to implement some creative characters.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #39
that's what i try to do, but it doesn't help much. i guess two brains are better than one. :)

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #40
I would help you too, but with my current skills in english.. uhh.. Well, I would if I could.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #41
Point 1, yes, RPs are currently bad news, but there have always been people who want to play God characters. However in the past, they have been mostly persuaded to tone down their acts.
Point 2, it was pretty clear when Zephyr started telling other people he would behave well once they apologised to him that he regarded blackmail as a reasonable way of behaving. That's really a bigger issue than anybody on the boards has a hope of addressing at arm's length.
Point 3, sigs can change.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #42
RPs aren't guaranteed doom, or at least not immediately. Once the original story is finished, things usually begin to break down, and most of the recent RPs have made the mistake of not introducing a large story early on, so people have dealt with whatever the first story was and then degenerated into chaos. If anyone remembers Join Us, they'll remember that it went on for almost 30 pages before the first story ended, and carried on being good for another 15 or so pages, until people started leaving completely and the only main plotline was hijacked and destroyed. My point is, the reason RPs recently haven't been so good is that the people who started them haven't bothered to create a lot of background, just given a directionless start and let people roam free.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #43
RP's may not spell instant doom in themselves. There is however, one particpant in particular who could easily drive any RP, no matter how well crafted, into utter chaos in short order.

I agree however that the initial post should contain more background and some parameters to be followed. This would help a great deal. Then the trick is keeping out (veiled naming) a warm wind that causes great storms and tries to battle a stiff breeze and the subsequent god-like characters. There are others perhaps, but the one referenced is usually the beginning of the end.

--------------------
Larry Hardiman
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #44
as long as the sharp pointy object on fire is gone, most RPs would have great potential. even one with like 3 particpants can work better than one with said object/wind in it.

--------------------
--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #45
Drakey, though I believe in forgiveness, I am glad you are going to take a firmer stance. I hope that will also encompass breakers of the CoC other than spammers, of course, and I hope that all the recent problems will be fixed. Seems I was right about what will happen in the aftermath, though...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #46
I want to thank Flavius for initiating this thread. I think (hope) it has gone a long way towards pulling General back up in a relatively constructive and non-acrimonious way.

I guess I'd better curb my political rants and occassional sniping now too.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Flavius:

RP's may not spell instant doom in themselves. There is however, one particpant in particular who could easily drive any RP, no matter how well crafted, into utter chaos in short order.
This means you, TM. Can you please try to participate in an RP without Rakshasi or Echoes?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #48
Saunders nooooooo!! What has happened to your beautiful signerature!?!

I wait patiently for the day when a new RP emerges, and instead of eveyone being like level 50 characters, they will be more like level 5 characters.

By the way...ever heard of dungeon masters? That is what you could use. Someone with ultimate authority over the RP thread, but not taking part in it.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Warrior
Member # 3124
Profile #49
quote:
By the way...ever heard of dungeon masters? That is what you could use. Someone with ultimate authority over the RP thread, but not taking part in it.

Sure, but the problem would remain with the "blackmail" style posts mentioned earlier. Unless the DM had power to keep violators from reentering it would not work. Some posters won't even listen to the mods or probably anyone else for that matter.

I suppose the other approach would be to RP around those who don't comply, but that, too, would just cause more commotion.

--------------------
Larry Hardiman

Pages