Crossfire

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Crossfire
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #0
Although CNN's Crossfire hurts my head, which forumers would you like to see in a 2-on-2 Crossfire-style debate on the topics of:

1) The welfare system
2) The legalization of marijuana
3) Everyone's favourite manchild, Iraq
4) Morality
5) Jam versus jelly

(Four people for each topic)

IMAGE(banana00.htm)

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #1
I call the marijuana! I argue against.
Oh, and add this!
6) Capitalism vs. Rice-A-Roni! Make of that what you will.

[ Saturday, April 19, 2003 14:29: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #2
Sir David and Alec for jelly contre TGM and you, Scorp, for jam...

--------------------
Aces off.
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #3
I will argue the war in Iraq, I have good arguments for and against it. IMAGE(smile000.gif) Not that it really matters too much now, a better idea would be who should re-construct it. Darkwind K'sheyna may be willing to talk about this as well, I will have to consult him.

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #4
It's more of a "hypothetical" thing. We won't actually be having the debates. We have gazillions already. :rolleyes:

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #5
Frah and Djur v. Thuryl and Scorp on #4.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #6
I look forward to witnessing the jam v. jelly debate with vast enthusuasm.
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #7
Still, I think the topic about war or no war should be updated to who will rebuild Iraq.

--------------------
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #8
quote:
Originally posted by The Infinitely Prolonged:
Sir David and Alec for jelly contre TGM and you, Scorp, for jam...
I'm not arguing or debating about anything, thank you. I'd just get myself banned me, since probably most of the other dbaters hate, or at least strongly dislike me. Dudeserina, no.. way..

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Jam vs. Jelly: Put a pair of invisible newbies against Arctic and Saunders.

?Alorael, who would be happy to argue the marijuana issue himself. He has a rather interesting perspective on it, after all. And no, it's not nearly as good as skribbane.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #10
How long do you think the newbies would survive without being eaten? IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 210
Profile #11
[delurks]
5 seconds
[/delurks]
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #12
Ha ha. Nice.
Well, I think we should tie Arctic up until the debate is over. Then we can untie him and let him eat the newbies.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Apprentice
Member # 1589
Profile #13
quote:
5 seconds
I think you're overestimating us... I would be toast within, oh, about 3 seconds, whatever the subject of arguing is...

[ Sunday, April 20, 2003 15:21: Message edited by: Realism.or.Death ]
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #14
Don't be so generous IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #15
I'd love to see what the Latex Rupture from Revere has to say to defend his anti-marijuana stance.

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #16
Who the hell is the Latex Rupture from Revere? JF? ADoS? Their fellas?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
If you don't get it, you don't deserve to. It's ADoS.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #18
Any prospect of any of these debates happening, or is this thread just for winding yourselves up to it? :rolleyes:
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #19
I'd like to argue, but i'm too middle ground on most issues (except for the jam/jelly debate).
How some other debates:
1. Clean elections/money in politics
2. Environmental standards vs Industry
3. Healthcare: gov't vs private
4.Gov't: two party system vs. parliamentary democracy
5. Education overhaul
6. Trendspotting: breaking large countries into smaller ones: happier populace?
7. marshmellow fluff vs nutella

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #20
quote:
Originally posted by M. Boeh:
I'd love to see what the Latex Rupture from Revere has to say to defend his anti-marijuana stance.
Could that be construed as a flame?
Yes. It is. Stop it.
I'm against legalization of marijuana. If you want to get high, guzzle a bottle of hot sauce. You can get high on that too, and it doesn't cause cancer or pollute. Maybe they should make cascacin (I think that's what it's called. The chemical that makes hot peppers hot.) capsules and distribute them, so people might maybe possibly switch to them instead of marijuana. Sure, it would be hot, but maybe they could find a way to counteract it without stopping the brain from producing natural painkillers. That's how you get high on hot sauce. The brain produces painkillers when you consume hot sauce, to kill the pain. Yeah.
Well, that's about it for my argument. I'm not the best debater in the world.

--------------------
---------
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #21
So...you suggest instead of legalizing one natural substance (THC, found in the wacky tobacky) you replace it instead with a concentrated version of another natural substance (capsaicin)? And the difference would be....?

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #22
The difference is that capascin causes permanent damage in consumable doses. Marijuana hasn't been found to cause permanent damage when used in sane amounts [with "sane" here meaning less than the amount acquired from smoking it nonstop for two days solid], whereas very small amounts of capascin can even be lethal if one has a particularly low tolerance level to the stuff. In addition, it's difficult to produce in bulk and even if it produced the dulling effect JF mentions to a great extent [which it doesn't], look at the example given by people from cultures where the stuff is consumed on pretty much everything; an uncle of mine can grind by hand enough salsa to sate an extended family without any problems -- and the rest of our eyes burn being in the same house as the stuff while it's being ground up.

To conclude, Djur's way of referring to ADoS, while inflammatory and unnecessary, looks to be sadly the extent of things.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #23
Ownership of small amounts of Hashish and Marihuana has been legalized in my country for some time now. I have not heard of any abuse following that legalization.

From what I see and hear around me and also from my own experiences when I was young you seem to need a predisposition for addiction to develop a (psychic) dependency on either drug. I never did, nor did I ever feel an urge towards a more regular intake than the occasional pipe or joint (no outcry, please, I was young in a wild time). As with other toxic substances, alcohol and cigarettes for instance, some can use them safely, others not.

I myself stopped, when some idiot mixed my pot with opium without telling me. I definitely did not like what happened then and wished no repetition of such dramas. It did not make me crave for more, so I was relatively safe, probably.

But someone with a different disposition might have longed for more. And what happened to me then, happens to a lot of teens now in the discos, who closely watch their cokes to protect themselves from an unwanted and unprepared for acquaintance with crack or ecstasy.

I have patients who suffer from the long term damages of drug abuse. And that's not so nice.

[ Monday, April 21, 2003 18:24: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #24
It's not disposition so much as condition that leads to repeated use; if you turn to something to escape the harshness of real life, chances are you'll turn back to it as an easy escape given any chance to do so.
People get addicted to marijuana and gambling for the same reasons, basically.

--------------------

Pages