MicroSoft XP SP3 Is out!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: MicroSoft XP SP3 Is out!
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #0
MicroSoft XP SP3 RC2 (final) from Windows Update released Apr 21 2008. I've updated both my XP machines smooth as silk. You can wait till the 29th and get it as a critical update.

This is NOT the much publicized "leak" of last week. This is from MS Windows Update and is the real thing.

If you want to find it now yourself go to search engine www.altavista.com type "XP SP3" with the quotes, and it'll be about hit number 15. DailyApps.net.

I did have to disable my Panda Internet Security on one machine, but not the other, to get the update done. Takes about 5 -10 minutes.

And in other related news, MS will be supporting XP through April of 2014. SP3 that is. SP2 will not be supported after April 2009.
microphage

--------------------
The point of fighting is to win. If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
Finally. Now I don't have to install 90-some updates when I install XP on a computer.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
Heh. I still run SP1.

--------------------
Nioca's Citadel
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Heh. I still run SP1.
You know, that's a very bad idea. You really should have al the updates installed. Unpatched Windows inatallations are sitting ducks for malware.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Heh. I still run SP1.
You know, that's a very bad idea. You really should have al the updates installed. Unpatched Windows inatallations are sitting ducks for malware.

Absolutely! XP SP1 hasn't been supported since 2006 so you are at risk. SP2 and SP3 are both free updates. Not sure if you have to do SP2 from SP1 before you can update to SP3 but you should really do it. SP3 has over 1000 fixes beyond SP's 1 & 2 and some backported features from Vista that are nice. Do SP2 & SP3 and you're covered till 2014 on criticle updates. I may still be using XP then as it's probably the most stable and fast OS MS has to date.

Oh yeah, SP3 makes your computer faster. Booting, loading progs and such.
microphage

--------------------
The point of fighting is to win. If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Heh. Still running Windows 2000 SP 4, which has been more stable than any MS OS I've seen to date.

You kids with your fancy operating systems. Back in my day we had CP/M, and liked it!

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by -=microphage=-:

Not sure if you have to do SP2 from SP1 before you can update to SP3 but you should really do it.
Every MS service pack includes all previous updates (including service packs).

[ Wednesday, April 23, 2008 09:42: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin Salmon:

Heh. Still running Windows 2000 SP 4, which has been more stable than any MS OS I've seen to date.

You kids with your fancy operating systems. Back in my day we had CP/M, and liked it!

Kids huh? CP/M, Basic, DOS 2?, green and amber mono screens with the burn in in the upper left corner where the prompt lived.

I gotta tell ya though, this sp3 is an improvement. And I believe if your machine will run 2000 it will run XP.

Geez, Windows 3.0, then 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, now XP SP3. Still wish I had a true, stable, and comatible 64bit OS. Sigh. :P

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
Oh, good, that means that when i get my Macbook pro I wouldn't have to fuss about security updates... That's good. I guess that there's no sign of DX10, though, right? Shame. can't blame them, though... It'd be stupid to include it in XP.

EDIT: Wrong OS...

[ Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:31: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #9
I use linux

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #10
My XO may use Linux, but the Sugar interface is one of the worst I've ever used. Most of the time I use it I just go directly to the terminal...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
真実長ガス
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
I use OS X, but most of my customers run Windows XP, so I keep up with this sort of thing.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I use unpatched XP for aesthetic reasons.

—Alorael, who will actually probably acquire Windows of some sort eventually. Darwine will only get one so far.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
quote:

And I believe if your machine will run 2000 it will run XP.
Yup, it would. It isn't lack of machine, it is lack of narrative need to change OS. Nothing I want is XP mandatory, and XP does cost money. It's just another tool, and I don't need the newest or fanciest to get the job done.

But good news about SP3, at least that means the tool won't break quite as often. ;)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Long Odds and Frayed Ends:

—Alorael, who will actually probably acquire Windows of some sort eventually. Darwine will only get one so far.

I checked out your aesthetic reasons. Somehow I can see you actually doing that.

Be sure and let us know when you get Windows... Not sure if I'll celebrate out and about or maybe lock myself in that vintage 1960's bomb shelter I found. It will be a world shaking event of Biblical proportions for sure!

quote:

quote:

And I believe if your machine will run 2000 it will run XP.
Yup, it would. It isn't lack of machine, it is lack of narrative need to change OS. Nothing I want is XP mandatory, and XP does cost money. It's just another tool, and I don't need the newest or fanciest to get the job done.

But good news about SP3, at least that means the tool won't break quite as often. ;)

Heh. The newest and fanciest would be Vista 64 Corporate or some such. I think XP and 2000 came out late 90's early 00's. I don't blame you for sticking with 2k. I'm glad these games run on it. Most apps I've seen with 2k were work oriented. It took me forever to fully switch from the 95 kernal and retire my 98SE machine and go totally XP. Heh, XP's what, 8 years old now. 7 anyhow.

It's always nice to see who some of the Windows users are. The Mac people can't relate to why we get so excited months after they started yawning. We are finally getting to play the latest SpidWeb Release so we're still in new release party mode... It's our turn now! :P

Just for the record everyone, you can get XP SP2 Update versions new on Ebay for $50-$70 that work with 95, 98, 98SE ME but I don't know about NT or 2000. Will have to research that. You can use the upgrade for a full, from scratch install if you like, just gotta have some old disk for it to sniff first.

ALSO. I thought this 70mb SP3 was it. They are going to release a 570mb SP3 next month. I suppose that's the full official XP SP3 full install version size.
microphage

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

I use OS X, but most of my customers run Windows XP, so I keep up with this sort of thing.
Same here, basically. I use Windows XP because I have to for some school stuff (and because Flight Simulator just doesn't work on OS X).

Now that we're on the topic, I want to ask a question. See, I'll have to get myself a new laptop in the summer. now that's not a problem, i already made my mind up: it'll be a Macbook Pro. Bow here is the problem: next to OS X, I'll have to have a partition with Windows. Should it be Vista or XP? The only advantage I could find in using Vista is DirectX 10. For the rest most reviews were quite bad and said something like "if you don't really need it, XP will do fine". I want to be able to run games that may perform a lot better using DirectX 10, but is it worth it? Anybody got advice?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Long Odds and Frayed Ends:

You should check out CrossOver. It runs a lot of programs that Darwine can't.

[ Thursday, April 24, 2008 07:10: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Duly noted and used, but CrossOver still doesn't run Windows programs as well as I suspect Parallels and VMware Fusion do, and it has particular problems with choking on installers.

—Alorael, who has at least been able to play Leylines at non-atrocious speeds. That's pretty nice.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Now that we're on the topic, I want to ask a question. See, I'll have to get myself a new laptop in the summer. now that's not a problem, i already made my mind up: it'll be a Macbook Pro. Now here is the problem: next to OS X, I'll have to have a partition with Windows. Should it be Vista or XP? The only advantage I could find in using Vista is DirectX 10. For the rest most reviews were quite bad and said something like "if you don't really need it, XP will do fine". I want to be able to run games that may perform a lot better using DirectX 10, but is it worth it? Anybody got advice?
If you're going to use Windows solely for gaming, then go with Vista. I use Vista for gaming because of DX10, and I don't really have a problem with it.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

If you're going to use Windows solely for gaming, then go with Vista. I use Vista for gaming because of DX10, and I don't really have a problem with it.
That's only if you're going to play the newest games. My boyfriend's laptop has a lot of trouble running older games. And XP can probably run the new stuff pretty well too. I'm not blown away by the supposed awesomeness that DX10 brings to games.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
The only games that I have played that are enhanced by DX10 are Cysis and Bioshock, and they look freaking beautiful in Vista.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #21
Lies, there is no computer that can run Crysis...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
真実長ガス
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

...Windows 2000 SP 4, which has been more stable than any MS OS I've seen to date.

Quoted for beauty and for truth.

SP3, huh? I still can't find specs on it.
I'll take the patch, and wait for SP2 for vista before going fo that. I'll need to save up for it anyway.

What I really need is to actually learn the modern Mac OS. I haven't been able to understand it since the 90's, and I've even learned a good deal of Linux (though hardly scratching the surface) since then...

--------------------
The Silent Assassin admits, he does not remember MS DOS; and he is rather perturbed by the implications.
First, it means that he'll never be able to sabotage the computer I have on display in my office...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #23
quote:

If you want to find it now yourself go to search engine www.altavista.com type "XP SP3" with the quotes, and it'll be about hit number 15. DailyApps.net.

Weird. Someone still uses AltaVista. Well, it is better then the bloated mess it used to be before Google showed less is better.
And I still use Windows 98/2000, it works fine for me.

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Bob.:

Quoted for beauty and for truth.
A Keats fan!
quote:
Originally written by ezAndy:

Weird. Someone still uses AltaVista.
My thoughts exactly.

No, I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this discussion.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages