New user titles

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New user titles
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #75
I don't see how it could be any worse than it already is.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #76
What I see that will happen is that people will complain for a bit about the new titles, then they will get use to them, then the titles will be changed and once again and everyone will complain.

This could all happen within a week or over the course of several years, the end result is that people will complain about change.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #77
What a *bleeping* *censored* mess.

I thought Aran was SysOp.

How many 70's people sold out to become The Establishment they so despised and rebelled against.

Maybe it's revolution time again...

quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

What I see that will happen is that people will complain for a bit about the new titles, then they will get used to them, then the titles will be changed and once again and everyone will complain.

This could all happen within a week or over the course of several years, the end result is that people will complain about change.

And then submit.

You're right. Change. The tendency to complain, then ultimately submit is the goal of all behavior modification agenda's, slackers, and power abusers. Just don't throw it at the sheep too fast. It'll go down smooth.

It's like cooking a frog. Drop it in boiling water and it jumps out of the pot. Turn up the heat slowly and that sucker's boiled.

[ Sunday, March 23, 2008 23:44: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #78
Awaiting clarification...

[ Sunday, March 23, 2008 21:18: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Drakon from that dist..."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #79
The IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/IB_graphics/edit.gif) button is our friend. Not your friend, but our friend. Please give him some attention.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #80
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

The IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/IB_graphics/edit.gif) button is our friend. Not your friend, but our friend. Please give him some attention.
OK. I apparently still don't get it. I felt the posts I made were definately "stand alone" this time.

I can combine the 2 different posts into 1 and still have a post I'll need to fill as it seems that normal board maintenance is not possible here. If I combine them I'll still leave an empty post.

Please explain this to me, publicly and in detail what I'm doing wrong, and why normal BBS maintenance is so "not doable".

Isn't it time to upgrade to something that works? Just dump it all if you have to and get it right. Encourage members to re-post. Make a downloadable archive zip for old news. Something besides all this nipping at my heels, and anyone else who rocks the boat (which oddly seems to be me).

I lived in the WA, OR area for 3 years. It truly is "God's Country". I recognize a "Bilbo Bagins Blend" attitude when I see one. Thankfully I grew out of it. Have you?

Am I a personal problem? You don't want me here? All it takes is an email, post, or snailmail message from spidweb and I'm gone. You and *i have publicly rebuked me, I insist on a public accounting. Last time I checked that is still my right in the Bill of Rights as a US citizen. Of course you could just ban me. Take the easy way out and still have a crap forum. Format, reinstall, your BBS is corrupt. Do the right thing. If you have the stones.

Thank you. I eagerly await your response.

[ Monday, March 24, 2008 00:27: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Drakon from that dist..."
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #81
Can't we all just be nice? I personally like the new titles, but that might be because I'm a genoforge fan.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Safey:

Can't we all just be nice? I personally like the new titles, but that might be because I'm a genoforge fan.
It's not the new titles I'm objecting to.
However, thanks for your input.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #83
quote:
OK. I apparently still don't get it. I felt the posts I made were definately "stand alone" this time.
The Spiderweb forums' stand on double posting is negative in pretty much all cases, no matter how stand-alone they might be. Unless your posts are months apart, and you feel as though some new information has made the topic relevant again, double posting is always frowned upon.

quote:
I can combine the 2 different posts into 1 and still have a post I'll need to fill as it seems that normal board maintenance is not possible here. If I combine them I'll still leave an empty post.
Yes, UBB sucks that way. Salmon's post was more of a tip for the future.

quote:
Please explain this to me, publicly and in detail what I'm doing wrong, and why normal BBS maintenance is so "not doable".
Double posting; see my first paragraph. The general consensus is that double posting looks ugly, and is also a way to increase your post count without merit, which is also not looked upon kindly.

quote:
Isn't it time to upgrade to something that works? Just dump it all if you have to and get it right. Encourage members to re-post. Make a downloadable zip for an archive. Something besides all this nipping at my heels, and anyone else who rocks the boat.
Yes, the time to upgrade was years ago. The problem is finding someone with the time, energy and resources to do it. Also, it might be a question of money.
quote:
I lived in the WA, OR area for 3 years. It truly is "God's Country".
Thank you for sharing.
quote:
I also recognize a "Bilbo Baggins Blend" attitude when I see one. Thankfully I grew out of it. Have you?
FYT. Also try to keep it civil, even though you're frustrated.
quote:
Am I a personal problem? You don't want me here?
I very much doubt this.
quote:
I insist on a public accounting. Last time I checked that is still my right as a US citizen.
Not an expert on US law, but I believe the company can run its forums however they see fit.
quote:
Of course you could just ban me. Take the easy way out and still have a crappy forum. Format, reinstall, your BBS is corrupt. Do the right thing. If you have the stones.
See, it's these parts in your message that made me not want to respond at all. No need to start insulting people. Or question their sex.
quote:
Thank you. I eagerly await your response.
Response delivered.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #84
Thanks. Response received and harkened to.

What do you need for an update/upgrade?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #85
Jeff Vogel has stated more than once that he is not interested in devoting his time to upgrading this forum software. He would rather write code, or build worlds. Due to the construct of this forum software, each additional post puts a storage burden on the host servers. Jeff's hosting package involves ginormous amounts of bandwidth, and a fairly limited amount of actual storage size. That is why he asks that people not double post.
The reason many of us, irrespective of the actions of other, autonomous, users, will parrot this request is that we dislike the actions that have to be taken to keep the forums within manageable size. Just recently, about a week ago, every thread in this forum (General) was deleted if it hadn't been updated after some date in November. While we prosper with Aran as a member, his generosity in setting up and hosting an archive is by no means required. Without his support, the community of folks that like Jeff and his games would suffer the loss of information which we might look back upon fondly at some point.

I'm sorry you took my message as personal criticism, as it wasn't. And it certainly wasn't a government intrusion upon your right of free speech. That only applies in the relationship between state and citizen, not between citizen and corporation.
:)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #86
Again, thanks. Your reply and info update is much appreciated.

I was under the impression that SS was based in WA.

Doesn't matter really. I deserved the FYT.

Thank you both for your candor and explanations. I really like this place. Plan to be around a while.

Thanks again...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #87
If it's money you need, I've got about 600 stashed away at the moment from various enterprizes.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #88
Money isn't really the issue. Good forum software shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars at the most, and plenty of good software (phpBB) is free. The bigger issue for Jeff is the hassle of actually doing it, but again, with good software it should be relatively easy. I think the real problem is just that he doesn't want to deal with it and so he won't until the UBB finally dies too thoroughly for resuscitation.

—Alorael, who notes that notes that for an additional fee a commercial forum company may even be willing to do most of the work, including conversion of an existing forum, for you (Invision). Maybe if enough people volunteered to pay for it to be absolutely work-free Jeff would be amenable. But probably not. He's a curmudgeon!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #89
It's mostly that Jeff doesn't want to upgrade and the members don't want to move to another board to continue in a better environment. There are satellite boards that come and go and are mostly for the Blades groups.

By the way how is Polaris doing?
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #90
Lets just say that more activity wouldn't hurt it.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #91
Yes, UBB is a wreck. It has been one for close on five or six years. But it hasn't sunk, and I don't put high odds on it doing so in the future. All catastrophic failures have been diligently repaired.

Steps have been taken to ensure that if the board were to suffer permanent breakdown, its content would still be available. (And the forum blueprints that Dikiyoba mentioned in her script are only marginally fictional.)

With that in place, we don't need to worry about cutting it close. Short of a breakdown, there is nothing that would force us to change the system, and nothing speaks against waiting until the breakdown actually comes.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #92
Except the death of everything we have ever created here in all possible time-frames ever and again.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #93
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Steps have been taken to ensure that if the board were to suffer permanent breakdown, its content would still be available. (And the forum blueprints that Dikiyoba mentioned in her script are only marginally fictional.)

How about that! A mirror site! That's awesome.

quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Except the death of everything we have ever created here in all possible time-frames ever and again.
Aran has a mirror! Check out the link in his post...

I know I'll sleep much better at night! :D
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #94
From what others here have said about the UBB this is what I understand in my own analogy: We are all on a boat and that boat is sinking. Many people wonder why we on a sinking boat and wish to move to a safer boat. We don't leave the boat because we can bail water as fast as the boat is sinking, thus there is no point leaving the boat because we are not really sinking.

That make sense to anyone else?

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #95
quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

From what others here have said about the UBB this is what I understand in my own analogy: We are all on a boat and that boat is sinking. Many people wonder why we on a sinking boat and wish to move to a safer boat. We don't leave the boat because we can bail water as fast as the boat is sinking, thus there is no point leaving the boat because we are not really sinking.

That make sense to anyone else?

Well, your analogy isn't perfect. It's like what you said, but every day on the boat comes with a complimentary kick in the balls.

Actually, it's less like a boat and more like Southwest Airlines.

[ Monday, March 24, 2008 18:47: Message edited by: John S ]

--------------------
"What can you do with an anthropology degree other than study people?"

"...Hunt people?"
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #96
quote:
Originally written by John S:

Actually, it's less like a boat and more like Southwest Airlines.
So every once in a while a piece of the wing breaks off and smashes a window in midair. It's still useable.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #97
The boat isn't really sinking. It chugs along slowly but steadily, except now and then it stops, starts shaking ominously, smoke pours out of unlikely places, and we all fear for our lives. Then eventually the boat gets going again, except sometimes it has spontaneously jettisoned a few things unexpectedly. There's no conclusive evidence for catastrophe on the horizon, but it wouldn't really be surprising. Also, like any sane people, we're not really fond of the boat.

—Alorael, who would like to remind you that this isn't a particularly good metaphor. A forum isn't a big boat, it's a series of tubes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #98
If nothing else, it makes a nice change.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Titanium Uvula:

a series of tubes.
…from the toilet to the sewer. And that is exactly why excessive and unnecessary spam is frowned upon here.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)

Pages