Quick Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Quick Question
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I don't see why so many people call Diprosopus a troll either.
Um, maybe because he trolls and you just not aware enough to recognize it.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #76
Why do people say, "Bless you!" when they hear a sneeze? Or "Break a leg!" before a performance? Linguistic rituals are part of life.

—Alorael, who wishes you a blessed broken leg. Gesundheit!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Um, maybe because he trolls and you just not aware enough to recognize it.
Diprosopus seems sincere in my eyes. I have no reason to believe he wishes to cause trouble, neither has he provoked any flame wars or absurd arguments. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks that, but you don't need to be rude whenever you disagree.

[ Tuesday, March 04, 2008 20:35: Message edited by: Excalibur ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #78
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Why do people say, "Bless you!" when they hear a sneeze? Or "Break a leg!" before a performance?
Superstition, based on ignorance.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #79
Well, wrong. Superstition involves believing something.

Do you believe anything when you say "bless you" or "break a leg", especially that the party just addressed is now blessed or divinely cured from disease, or is (or is not) going to have a bone fracture?

Because I don't. I sometimes even say "good morning" when the morning just sucks.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Do you believe anything when you say "bless you" or "break a leg", especially that the party just addressed is now blessed or divinely cured from disease, or is (or is not) going to have a bone fracture?

Because I don't. I sometimes even say "good morning" when the morning just sucks.

Ignorance doesn't necessarily mean lack of belief. It just implies that the reasoning that arrived to that belief has been ruled as faulty. Remember, I'm commenting on the origin of the phrases, and you are simply in a foul mood.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #81
quote:

I sometimes even say "good morning" when the morning just sucks.
Me too, but that's part of customer service.

I think saying "good morning" is a wish to someone else, rather than a statement that it is, in fact, a good morning. Either way, it's kind of lost its original meaning, and is now a generic greeting, kind of like "How ya doin?" When someone you don't know says that, they usually don't really care. They're just expressing courtesy.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:

Ignorance doesn't necessarily mean lack of belief. It just implies that the reasoning that arrived to that belief has been ruled as faulty. Remember, I'm commenting on the origin of the phrases, and you are simply in a foul mood.

Why is it then whenever I disagree with you, I am supposedly cranky or bitter? It's a beautiful, wonderful morning out there, and I'm actually kind of happy right now. :)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #83
quote:

Why is it then whenever I disagree with you, I am supposedly cranky or bitter?
Because you have been cranky lately, what with too much to do and too little time in which to do it.
:P

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

I think saying "good morning" is a wish to someone else, rather than a statement that it is, in fact, a good morning. Either way, it's kind of lost its original meaning, and is now a generic greeting, kind of like "How ya doin?" When someone you don't know says that, they usually don't really care. They're just expressing courtesy.
And of course, it's often abbreviated to "Morning", which is a simple statement of fact.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

When somebody I don't know asks me how I'm doing, I take great care to make them wish they'd never asked me, by dumping all manner of my issues and problems on them.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #86
I can't imagine you'll make too many new friends with that kind of an attitude. Don't read too much into it and just take it as a friendly greeting. It is really annoying when people are nitpicky about that sort of thing. Like when you ask someone if they are alright and they say 'No, I'm half left'...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #87
I think I feel old for the first time since I've been on these forums.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #88
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I can't imagine you'll make too many new friends with that kind of an attitude. Don't read too much into it and just take it as a friendly greeting. It is really annoying when people are nitpicky about that sort of thing. Like when you ask someone if they are alright and they say 'No, I'm half left'...
Or when someone asks me, "What's up?", and I always reply, "The ceiling." My brother once told me what a jerk I was for doing that. I told him I was being my ordinary, sarcastic self, and he should lighten up.

Though if I asked someone how they were doing and they gave me a sum-up of all the crap in their life, I'd be a bit taken aback. If you start doing that sort of thing to complete strangers, it just creates an awkward feeling.

--------------------

-Lenar

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #89
I should explain, I work at a supermarket in a town reknowned for the rudeness of it's people. It's only to them that I do it, not to people I meet otherwise. (As if that makes it any better :P )

Of course, getting all the angst out of the way at the start of a potential friendship means the other person knows exactly where they stand in the scheme of things, which must be nice for them. :P

[ Thursday, March 06, 2008 02:56: Message edited by: Henry Plainview. ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #90
quote:

I sometimes even say "good morning" when the morning just sucks.
I don't on such days; I just say "morning," or if someone says "good morning," my standard reply is, "Yeah, it's morning."

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Henry Plainview.:

I should explain, I work at a supermarket in a town reknowned for the rudeness of it's people.
I can see why!

—Alorael, who sometimes has problems answering simple pleasantries. "How are you?" can require hours of soul-searching.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #92
I don't live in said town. :)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #93
I always assumed that when you said 'good morning' you were wishing the person you said it to a good morning.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #94
Oh that is the beauty of all these phrases. You can say them to someone you loathe. The rest of the world might see it as a gesture of kindness. But you know it is just a cheap shot...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #95
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Oh that is the beauty of all these phrases. You can say them to someone you loathe. The rest of the world might see it as a gesture of kindness. But you know it is just a cheap shot...
It also has a lot to do with how it's said. If you say it in a way that's obviously sarcastic or otherwise blatantly infuriating, it takes on a whole different meaning.

--------------------

-Lenar

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #96
I knew a guy once who would announce heartily each morning, "It's a great day to be alive!"

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I knew a guy once who would announce heartily each morning, "It's a great day to be alive!"
Wouldn't it be amazing to actually believe that?

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #98
Oh, he did, though he wasn't notably manic. (Well, maybe a bit.) He just didn't want not to be alive.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #99
It's so much healthier to come to terms with the possibilities of reality and come up with a more pessimistic mantra. How about, "Today would be a good day to die." That way, if it happens, you're not as disappointed. :P

--------------------

-Lenar

Pages