Harry Potter

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Harry Potter
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #0
Normally I would not pose such a questions, particularly given the prevalence of intellectuals in this community. However, given the presence of a few younger members, I'll have to ask: Anyone planning on reading the next Harry Potter book? Any predictions? I must admit, having started the series in my youth, I intend to discover how it ends.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Wonder no more. At least, wonder no more if you're a dirty, dirty pirate.

Though I like the theory that we came up with in the lab yesterday: Harry and the gang track down and murder Ralph Fiennes, and Voldemort disappears in a cloud of smoke.

--------------------
Borrow money from pessimists—they don't expect it back.
- Steven Wright
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #2
I think that I can at least wait until Saturday.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
The local independent bookstore is 2 blocks from my apartment, and they're selling it at midnight, so I'll have my copy Friday night.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #4
I'm interested... I'm waiting to see if Rowling can actually pull off an ending that she, the public, and literary critics of the future will all find acceptable.

Out here in WV, I have to drive an hour to find a copy...
Alas, I just had to pay for a new heating core for my car, so I'm not going out to the movies for a while, let alone buying a high-demand hardback book.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin once bound up and gagged one of his targets with the contents of a half-hour length cassette tape.
It's the gagging that I wonder about, really...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
I'll be getting my copy at midnight on Friday, too.

I just hope that she doesn't kill Harry off.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #6
I'd say the chance of a Harry-as-Christ ending is just shy of 50%.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #7
I\m planning to read it, oh yes... but not anytime soon. The english version will likely be sold out for a while, and the finnish one will take some time to make. And when it appears, it\ll most likely be sold out too.

So, the likely solution is that I\m going to borrow that last book from the library, roughly year after this. As the book will have a waiting line of some 20 people at least...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #8
Apparently, people who are buying the book at midnight are going to arrive wearing earplugs, so if anyone grabs a book and begins reading the last page, they won't here.

--------------------
Note: Significant plot details follow.
IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/images/aran/aran_potter.jpg)
Significant plot details end here.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Aran is so hawt.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I don't think Harry Potter is any less popular among intellectuals than among the great unwashed. Everyone seems to love the books.

—Alorael, who finished book four and never managed to obtain any of the sequels. He has a bet with himself on how long it will take for the salient details of the last book to be spoiled for him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #11
Harry Potter!
I will be wearing my Harry Potter socks when I read the book.

And awesome pic.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
Ironically enough, I can give you a run-down of who dies, what page and the general gist of the ending and I've never read a single one of the books.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #13
Anyone for uninformed (that is to say, not based off of leaked copies) predictions? I'm better on at least 2 Weasleys (red hair = red shirt) dead, and a end which makes Snape look like less of a bad guy. Of course, I haven't obsessively poured over an HP book since the fourth came out, so I'm sure I missed many of the hints that were embedded in the later books.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
I like the Stephen Colbert prediction best:

-Voldemort is the ghost of Harry's father.
-Hermione's a dude.
-At the very end Harry wakes up to find Patrick Duffy in the shower, and it was all a dream.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

-At the very end Harry wakes up to find Patrick Duffy in the shower, and it was all a dream.
Reminds me of my former research supervisor's theory about how the series will end: the whole thing was the fantasy of a poor neglected boy who's spent the last seven years locked in a cupboard under the stairs.

It won't happen, of course, because Rowling would be lynched by enraged fans if she ended it that way, but it'd still be awesome.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #16
Harry and Voldermort get killed by falling anvils and X goes off cackling,"It works, it works. I told them, but they wouldn't believe me."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Dikiyoba is quite relieved that the series is finally ending. Dikiyoba lost Dikiyoba's enthusiasm for it after the fifth book came out. But hopefully, since it's the final book, it will be better than five and six were.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Reminds me of my former research supervisor's theory about how the series will end: the whole thing was the fantasy of a poor neglected boy who's spent the last seven years locked in a cupboard under the stairs.

It won't happen, of course, because Rowling would be lynched by enraged fans if she ended it that way, but it'd still be awesome.

I know for certain that some of the events in her sixth book weren't too well received by some of the fans either. A shame really, I'm certain books in general would benefit from such developments.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Wonder no more. At least, wonder no more if you're a dirty, dirty pirate.

Though I like the theory that we came up with in the lab yesterday: Harry and the gang track down and murder Ralph Fiennes, and Voldemort disappears in a cloud of smoke.

--------------------
Borrow money from pessimists—they don't expect it back.
- Steven Wright

I have it on solid authority that Harry, Hermione and Ron all survive, and Fred is the only Weasley to die (although there are plenty of corpses to go around).
:P

*cough* Not that I read it, actually. It's not out yet. Is it.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
BANNED
Member # 4074
Profile #20
I finished the book last night :)

Was quite exciting. But I'm not one for spoiling peoples fun. So enjoy :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #21
I got roped in to working at one of the bookstore's parties on Friday and preparing for it yesterday. I'm going as a jedi.

I am hoping Harry meets an extremely painful death with lots of blood. He is ridiculously arrogant and annoying and should have been killed in the first book.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
BANNED
Member # 4074
Profile #22
meh, Jedi just use magic without wands like wizards do when they are untrained and young :)

May the force be with joo
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
Well, yeah, Larry Gardener has always been a bit arrogant. In his defense, the rest of his world is worse. Oh, let's not reveal ourselves to the mundane population. They'll be constantly begging us for instantaneous cures from diseases, and we can't have that. What's this? Giants attacking tourists? Wizard terrorists? Instead of solving the problem, we'll just wipe the memories of all the witnesses. Never mind the fact that it is our memories that define who we are. And when we have to deal with mundane government officials, we'll treat 'em as inferiors and casually intimidate them.

--------------------
Note: Significant plot details follow.

Not only is Harry Potter revealed as Arancaytar, the identity of Tom "Voldemort" Riddle is also revealed. Note that no matter how many times you try to kill him, Riddle always returns.
Voldemort... LIVES!

IMAGE(http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/media/users/paul/kane.jpg)
"Rule of thumb, Potter. You can't kill the Messiah."
Significant plot details end here.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
So, JK finally figured out how rich she needed to be?

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."

Pages