Why?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why?
Apprentice
Member # 8849
Profile #0
I've scanned the boards quickly, and seen mention of Blizzard and Oblivion. I guess you've heard of XBox and PS. I haven't played any of Spiderweb's games yet.

Now, in all seriousness - why do you play these games? When I was a kid, I'd play anything, but now I have a job and a LOT of available games. What makes Spiderweb games worth playing?

Again, I'm not trolling or dissing Spiderweb... honestly I think it's wonderful a company like this can survive in this day and age, I just don't understand how. Hence the open question.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Nostalgia factor.

Reminds me of a simpler time... one where man and beast could struggle eternal while leaving enough processor memory for other tasks.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #2
'Cause the games are solid enough to be enjoyed today, even though they lack in graphics. Oh, and I can get them run on my out-dated computer without too much hassle!

Honestly, the games today aren't much better than before, heck, they aren't even that different! I've recently played new, free versions of Star Control 2 and Betrayal at Krondor, and they are both surprisingly modern games, despite being more than a decade old! It's just further sign that the game-industry should really raise the creativity factor...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #3
Most games today(especially RPGs) tend to have entirely too much filler(hell, World of Chatcraft is nothing but filler). The newer games being released are like the Gilded Age in US History. On the surface they looks great, but peel back the gold foil and all you've really got is crap.

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #4
I play spiderweb games because they have good story lines. Graphics can make you say "wow" but can quickly fade.

--------------------
You are asleep.

Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.

So it goes.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #5
I play Spiderweb games because I like a game where I can sit back and think.
And where I can enjoy a well-thought plot.
And where the third-party scenarios don't suck as a rule.
And because I couldn't play graphic-intensive games until about two years ago, and the Avernum series had already earned itself a permanent place in my heart at that point.
And because no one doesn't like a good RPG. "Good" being the keyword.

Yes, Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time... because it is designed to be an immersive experience, not due to any of its explicitly FPS or RPG elements.
Yes, No one cannot love StarCraft.
But Exile 2 is also one of my favorite games of all time, because it has a brilliant plot, and because I enjoy the style of gameplay. So it lacks in terms of a visual engine, so what? I love the large spell library, the cluttered item system, and the fact that Waldby might sell you a Magic Wave Blade while you're still level 1.

A GUI can be misleading. True, powerful graphics and physics engines can be utilized for great storytelling and cinematic experience; but they need a solid plot or gameplay drive behind them to make a game worth playing.
But even poor graphics can be enjoyed if the gameplay is good enough.
I mean, how many of us don't go back to old-school console games from time to time? Why are many gaming companies remaking the classic stuff?
Because the mechanics make the game.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin recently participated in a Pong tournament.
Alas, his exposure to the Wii got the best of him: he was disqualified after knocking out his opponant when he lost his grip on the paddle.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
I play Avernum (and am in love with them), for a few reasons:

- I absolutely love the graphics: this gives it a precious old-school feel I extremely like. It makes me more involved in the game. Though it may sounds strange, I generally feel less involved in games with graphics that are extremely good;
- I like the story and world;
- It is turned based (which I really like).

And that's about it, though I feel I'm sort of repeating what others said. In all honesty, I use these arguments because of a lack of being able to really say what I think of it, as I love Avernum in such a manner that I can't really find the right words. It must be something personal that makes me like it... Ya know, like a very good song absorbes you? It's a bit like that.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I have a three-years-old laptop that can with some difficulty run Google Earth smoothly (assuming it's the only program running). Myst IV has an uncomfortable lag and Second Life is basically a slide show. Anything beyond that is impossible to play - even Empire Earth.

Why should I play something that gives me nausea when SW games are fun, intellectually challenging, and playable without lag on my PC? :)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #8
If you want us to convince you, I'm pretty sure you're in the wrong place. Jeff got pretty heated last time someone asked to be convinced about a SW game. His end response was "If you don't like it, don't buy it."

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #9
I like Spiderweb games cause if anything happens to my not crappy computers, I can always break out my old Performa 5200(don't ask why the hell I have it or how it still works, cause I really don't know). That and the Spiderweb games give me something that doesn't want my entire system resources to run, so I've got a good thing I can do while Daz Studio takes forever to load something or when I'm downloading a video file on my bare minimum DSL. Oh yeah, and (insert statement about great game plots here). 'Course, I like the Character Editors on most of the games. It's a lot better than inputing a bunch of annoying cheat codes

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

'Cause the games are solid enough to be enjoyed today, even though they lack in graphics.
Yup.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #11
I don't get heated when people don't like my games. Heck, I have a good idea of what my download to sale ratio is. I know a LOT of people don't like my games.

If you require good graphics and sound to like a game, my games are not going to be for you.

But my games are big. They're fun. They're not too expensive. They're stable. And they are in a genre which is just not well represented right now.

In other words, I don't think it's a mystery at all why people buy them.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Sarasaphilia:

Jeff got pretty heated last time someone asked to be convinced about a SW game. His end response was "If you don't like it, don't buy it."
You're remembering it wrongly, but that's okay because you weren't here when it happened. :P

The "end response" was the beginning of the whole mess that had started out as a simple discussion.

If you think Jeff was being heated when he said "Don't Buy Them" or made the above post, what do you think would happen if someone put this in a signature?

quote:
It's a mystery [...] why people buy them
:P

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 19:44: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #13
I meant that his overall reaction was a little heated when that one member asked to be convinced. I saw the archives a while back.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
You've still got that wrong. Barcoorah or Ash Lael quoted Jeff out of context. He said, quote, "If you don't like it [Avernum 4], Don't buy it." One of the two quoted it out of context, cutting it down to, "Don't buy it." So I'd say he had a good reason to get a little upset.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #15
Ah. Suddenly I see.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

But my games are big. They're fun. They're not too expensive. They're stable. And they are in a genre which is just not well represented right now.

They're lag-free. I don't really realize how important that is until I try to play something else. Having to wait a minute to save or load, enter a new area, see the cinematic doods, and so on isn't worth my time.

Aside from the audio and visual elements, Spiderweb games are really quite as good as the rest of the market. I find that I prefer Spiderweb's graphics anyway.

—Alorael, who finds that having a job and a lot of available games makes him pickier. If he can get everything, he'd better be sure he wants what he gets. Most games are, sadly, not worth the time it takes to play them or the money it takes to obtain them. Spiderweb delivers fast but prolonged and very cheap fun!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #17
Speaking of visuals... Am I the only one who thinks they look better on a Mac than a PC?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #18
They're fun, nuff said. Graphix don't mean a lick of the cat to me. I play Ultima III, it's fun. I play Final Fantasy I through at least 3 times a year(for many many years). I still play the Zorks, they are fun. On the other end of the visual spectrum I play Gears of War, also fun. Burnout Revenge fun. But then there's trash like Final Fantasy XII, not fun, don't play it. (I really didn't like XII, it looked nice and that's about it far as I was concerned, to each their own).

Fact is these game's just draw me in like the games of yor did. I get pulled into the thick of these fantasy worlds like I did in the old days with games like FF III(or VI whatever you prefer) and Breath of Fire. These were games I played into the wee hours of the morning, and the same thing still happens every once and a while with the Spiderweb games. It's few games anymore that can draw me into an all nighter, especially in the RPG genre. As long as they keep being fun I'll keep bringin in the pennies.

Cripes did I type lick of a cat up there, it's been a long long day at work......
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #19
They meld the things I found most appealing about the really old-school RPGs (things like turn-based combat with crunchy numbers and phat magical lewt, dungeon exploration, and so on) with actual storytelling. I really want to try and play, say, the old Ultimas, or the early Wizardry titles, or the Bard's Tale games, but I get hung up on the fact that you get like two sentences of story per entire sprawling dungeon. Without story, it's just grinding and I have a very low grinding threshold. Especially without pretty graphics or massive tactical depth.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #20
Kinda like the oldschool D&D Dungeon Crawl, which is the worst RPG concept ever. The entire premise is to go into a dungeon and kill a bunch of crap for little or no reason. I tried one of those once, but I found myself MST3King* my way through the bland, pointless dungeon. Throw in a bunch of flashy graphics, and you have a modern RPG, which is why a lot of them suck. Plot, that's what Spiderweb games have. Rich, deep(enough) plot. The kind that says, 'hey, I have a reason for having my character do whatever it is my character does.'

*Throwing in a lot of mocking commentary and jokes revolving around the sheer stupidity of what's going on for the sole purpose of keeping what's left of one's sanity through all the inane and idiotic crap.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #21
Well-written.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #22
I enjoy the blades games the most. The community builds the games with their custom scenarios and anyone who owns the game can make their own if they take the time to learn how. They're not just games, they are creative outlets.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Bandit Keith:

Kinda like the oldschool D&D Dungeon Crawl, which is the worst RPG concept ever. The entire premise is to go into a dungeon and kill a bunch of crap for little or no reason. I tried one of those once, but I found myself MST3King* my way through the bland, pointless dungeon. Throw in a bunch of flashy graphics, and you have a modern RPG, which is why a lot of them suck. Plot, that's what Spiderweb games have. Rich, deep(enough) plot. The kind that says, 'hey, I have a reason for having my character do whatever it is my character does.'

*Throwing in a lot of mocking commentary and jokes revolving around the sheer stupidity of what's going on for the sole purpose of keeping what's left of one's sanity through all the inane and idiotic crap.

Well, throw in enough flashy stuff going on, new areas to explore, and powers to earn, and I can go for a surprisingly long time. Honestly, Titan Quest has very little to it except killing many largely identical critters. But you do it with pretty graphics, neat powers, and physics effects. (It does help that the areas are custom built and not randomly generated like in Diablo, and there's a definite endpoint. I'm not one of those people who can work up multiple level 99 characters for each and every class in Diablo II. Yeesh.)

But I prefer a solid story and neat things to find out. And Spiderweb games have them in spades.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
1. Decent storyline and unique setting.
2. Good logical gameplay.
3. Hugely double plus good customer service.
4. Free downloads, not limited by time, but by scope of action. (I've installed and forgotten things, and never played them because the free trial was up)
5. Just because it is a small indie game company. That's the kind of thing that must be supported.
6. With free trials, you should be asking which to try first, not why to try any at all...

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Pages