Deathmatch Tournament -- Round Two, Part One

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Deathmatch Tournament -- Round Two, Part One
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #150
quote:
Originally written by Love Parallelogram:

Well, he really seemed more like a puppy than a robot master.
Why can't you finish this now?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #151
He's busy. Stop asking.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #152
Slarty is occupied with Avernum 5, the Geneforge Wiki, and Eschalon Book I. I wouldn't expect him to continue the thread for at least another year.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #153
A5 slipped from my plate before I finished, actually, and Eschalon was an extremely temporary distraction. It's really my job that keeps me busy and exhausted.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #154
quote:
Originally written by Love Parallelogram:

It's really my job that keeps me busy and exhausted.
Yep. That's been the excuse I've been hearing.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #155
Qustion: What exactly is needed to end this thread? Because couldn't someone else do it if Slaty is busy? Dikiyoba for example?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #156
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Because couldn't someone else do it if Slaty is busy? Dikiyoba for example?
No.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - we are the dollars and cents, and the pounds and pence.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #157
quote:
Originally written by Hey, Jude.:

quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Because couldn't someone else do it if Slaty is busy? Dikiyoba for example?
No.

Why?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #158
Well, Dikiyoba is certainly not going to finish it.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #159
Jeran, if this was conducted by someone other than Slarty, we'd have a problem.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #160
I have contemplated the idea of passing it off to somebody before.

If I do that, it would probably be to Jewels, because I know she has the capacity to see sense in other people's opinions even when they are different from her own.

However, as I have said before, that will certainly not happen while this thread is getting spammed up.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #161
is there a round 1 or 3? if so can someone give me the link?

--------------------
For Auir! -Tassadar
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
Ghaal Korra!
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #162
I posted a link on page six.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #163
I accept your waiver, whether or not you actually gave it. I will judge round 2.1 for you. Any unexpected upsets desired by yourself should be disclosed via PM asap. The entire deathmatch must proceed and there are still cards I don't have. Plus I am still in the match slotted for round 2.2. Though I do not expect to survive my next match I probably shouldn't judge it. Bias and all. You are still needed to start round 2.2 and judge at least my match if you are not motivated to oversee more.

So on with the show, eh? I've had time enough to write up one. Behold!!

Official Judgment by proxy Round 2.1.1

Ephesos & Lazarus

This was already a one sided fight to begin with but it seems that poor Lazarus's main power has been weakened significantly by Episode 4. One has to wonder if he really would have beaten Nylad if he could only come back once/day then. I would be tempted to have Ephesos battle both in order to win but luckily Deathmatch has no save and restore, and Nylad is already dead. So with scenario scripting ability matched and no other offense other then his fists, Lazarus falls easily (twice) to Ephesos and RETRIBUTION!

_______

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this Deathmatch are not necessarily the views held by Spiderweb, it's employees, or any others affiliated with it. It's not even necessarily the views held by the judge or the judge by proxy. It's really just a bit of fun. Any correlation between the Deathmatch and actual board member deaths is purely coincidental and not the responsibility of Spiderweb, it's members, or affiliates.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs and Scenarios!!!!!
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #164
Yes, fair enough.

I had a few intended outcomes in mind, but I don't think it's fair for me to thrust those upon you if I really am en-trust-ing you with the judging.

I do have the remaining 8 or so cards that I haven't published yet, which I will email to you in some form. I also have the pairings for round 2 part 2, which I will email to you, and some potential suggestions for round 3 pairings. (Of course they aren't random. They're as interesting and theatrical as possible.)

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #165
Spontaneous yet fulfilling! Congrats Jewels!

--------------------
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #166
Ack! And I thought it was hard writing up these matches the first time around... >10 revisions later:

Official Judgment by proxy Round 2.1.2

Infernal & Alec

Insult to insulting inuendo may hurt some feelings, leave emotional scarring, and/or lead to eventual incarceration by way of mid-life crisis breakdown, but let's face it. Words aren't going to kill anybody by themselves no matter how much conviction is behind them. They may win you a round of insult-beer-pong but that's about it. Sword to sword, even with the value of Demonslayer increased by A4, the 2-handed weapon is not going to overpower Alec's 1-handed scimtar since he's a.) not a demon b.) got a lot more experience and c.) has a free hand to wield distracting/eye-burning photos. Alec also gets added experience in melee from Ali. By himself, Alec has the stamina and guile to outwit, outplay, and outlast Infernal, and if worse comes to worse his engagingness lends him backup that's not gonna just sit by and watch him go under. Alec is the victor.

Round 2.1.3

Dikiyoba & Nicothodes

Diki summed this one up very nicely... 'Nicothodes has Sherbiebaby. Dikiyoba has a cult. Nicothodes has mechanical pencils. Dikiyoba has Episodes 1-3. Nicothodes can make music. Dikiyoba can make invulnerability elixers.' Nicothodes may have added vimpires to the end of her fingers but Diki added Episode 4! On grounds of numbers there is no question who would win (which is what Nico won with on her last match) but we have missed a most important fact in fictional fighting. Music soothes the savage beast, and dinosaur Dikioba is as close to a savage beast as one can get. Dikiyoba the Great is lulled to her death by Nicothodes on her cello. Sweet dreams.

Round 2.1.4

Thralni vs. Thuryl

After doing a little homework I think I can shed some light on this match. While Thralni can set his poultry in motion, any deadly vegetables are easily caught by Thuryl's pun net. Our pundit can easily make a great egg-scape turning a purrfect plan into a catastrophe and cause Thralni to give paws. A small repreive is all our pun gent would need to rally a force to come to his aid to try to inflict punitive damages. Unfortunately for Thuryl, no pun in ten did. Further research has reduced Sailor Moon to be no more then a puny bunny (Her Japanese name translating into Rabbit of the Moon) so our beloved sex icon gives way to our new Chic King, Thralni. And really, I am sorry y'all had to listen to my pun crock.

Round 2.1.5

Delicious Vlish & Synergy

What happens in a fight when one character starts monologing? Over and over again in fictitious battle we see that the oratory, no matter how painful, allows the opponent needed time to escape even on the edge of defeat and come out victorious. Synergy has stepped back from the length he started with but I believe he has to fight himself to do so. A house divided is a house that falls so either way Delicious Vlish makes it through to the next round.

Round 2.1.6

MagmaDragoon & Tyranicus

We all know that there's one thing that Tyran is really good at. Dying. We know it, Magma knows it, and of course Tyranicus knows it, too. He may be clumsy, but he's not dumb. All he has to do is trick Magma into thinking he's already dead. (Shouldn't be that hard, really.) Then attack while his opponent has his back turned celebrating a premature victory. Tyranicus finally defeats a foe... before tripping on one of his own javelins and impaling himself. But not before he wins.

Round 2.1.7

Archmage Alex & Riibu

Alex will have won two days before the day after yesterday because Riibu's chaos attack cannot affect that which will already be chaotic the day after two weeks before last Thursday.

Round 2.1.8

Saunders & Schrodinger

Let's take this logically bit by bit. We have Engenering vs. Geology. The ability to masterfully design and create something and an in-depth knowledge of what the world is made up of. Obviously being able to make a weapon or shielding device would be of better use in a death match then knowing how volcanoes erupt. At least without the ability to make said volcano magically appear underneath your opponent. Moving on to items, Saunders has a sword, Schrodinger has cheat sheets. With no scenario to go through, those scraps of paper aren't going to be much defense against a sword, let alone offense. Skillfully Schrodinger may be able to install a puppet administrator and, in doing so, rally some allies to counter the fluffy turtles and canalista warriors, but he would still have to contend with Saunders' motherly love. As a mother, I can honestly say that love sometimes hurts especially that tough love we so often have to dole out. Saunders comes out ahead with plain ole' better guns.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:31: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #167
*bump*

It is finished!

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #168
-stares dumbfounded at Thralni v. Thuryl-

-continues staring-

You have way too much time on your hands...

--------------------
The Silent Assassin suggested that this particular tag involve the hypnotic baked ziti that he cooked for dinner last night.
Seeing as we had stuffed shells, and I'm the one who prepared them, I'm not exactly sure what he's getting at...
Oh look. A bunny.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #169
Dikiyoba starts taking notes for her next chapter. Thuryl now can get a major role.

Good job Jewels in continuing the fights.

Missed the matchup of Magma Dragoon (Roman) from Italy versus Tyranicus (Nethergate) as favorite game.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 15:16: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #170
quote:
Round 2.1.3

Dikiyoba & Nicothodes

Diki summed this one up very nicely... 'Nicothodes has Sherbiebaby. Dikiyoba has a cult. Nicothodes has mechanical pencils. Dikiyoba has Episodes 1-3. Nicothodes can make music. Dikiyoba can make invulnerability elixers.' Nicothodes may have added vimpires to the end of her fingers but Diki added Episode 4! On grounds of numbers there is no question who would win (which is what Nico won with on her last match) but we have missed a most important fact in fictional fighting. Music soothes the savage beast, and dinosaur Dikioba is as close to a savage beast as one can get. Dikiyoba the Great is lulled to her death by Nicothodes on her cello. Sweet dreams.
You conveniently left out Nicothodes' ability to bribe her way to way to victory by giving cookies to the judges. :P

Nah, excellent work, Jewels. Dikiyoba likes.

Edit: Typo.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 17:34: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #171
I am surprised by some outcomes, but the judgments are well-reasoned, and amusing to read, which is the main thing that matters. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #172
quote:
Originally written by Lenar:

-stares dumbfounded at Thralni v. Thuryl-

-continues staring-

You have way too much time on your hands...

Which is why I make a perfect replacement for Slarty who has no time, right? ;)

I was surprised by some of the outcomes, too, but I was looking for unexpected upsets so I found a few. Can't let all the slots go to byes after all. Now to update my table...

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #173
Interesting that your final judgment was different than your original post in the thread.

[ Sunday, February 10, 2008 18:27: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #174
I have the pairings, now I need to find the last 8 trading cards. I'll send them to you tomorrow, hopefully, Jewels.

--------------------

Pages