Favorite game genres?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite game genres?
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #0
Clearly since this is a board about several well-made RPG games, the consensus on favorite will probably lean heavily towards that. I suppose the title is a little misleading, so let's move on to our second favorite game genres.

I personally am a large fan of the shoot-em-up genre, with games such a Zero Wing, Gradius, Ikaruga, and R-Type. Also the more obscure such as the Touhou Series, Mushihime-sama, and the ESP-series.

Here's an example, but note that the beginning is sped up since it's a replay.

On occasion I like to pick up Koei's games (Dynasty Warriors series) and just beat up on an army or two of course.

Anyways, think of this as my introductory post. It's nice to meet you all.

[ Friday, April 27, 2007 21:51: Message edited by: Imban's Tsundere Concubine ]

--------------------
ni~pah
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
If I'm not in the mood for an RPG, I'll usually go for a platformer.

Also, who are you? :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #2
As evidenced by by nickname here, I am Imban's Tsundere Concubine, clearly. Of course, he always has me call him Master, and I do various chores for him by day. During night, well... there was this time with a pair of cat ears and... oh, I'm blushing just thinking about it.

Master, you devil. <3

And here's another video while I'm at it.

[ Saturday, April 28, 2007 00:33: Message edited by: Imban's Tsundere Concubine ]

--------------------
ni~pah
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
Welcome to the boards. Please leave your sanity at the door. Assuming you have any left after Imban.

Anyway, Nalyd prefers RTS games. Age of Mythology was all right, Age of Empires 3 is moderately good. He also enjoys first-person shooters, like Resident Evil and Parasite Eve. Unforunately, he has very limited funds. So don't expect anything not heavily advertised.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #4
I am the Universal Gamer. I love RPGs like Fallout, and of course my precious World of Warcraft. Diablo II is sort of an RPG, too, right? I also enjoy first person shooters like Wolfenstein and I recently discovered Jedi Knight. Love those lightsaber battles! Also RTSs, like Wacraft III and Myth II. All the Age of Empires series are good as well, including Galactic Battlegrounds, which is really just AoE 2 with Starwars characters superimposed into it. Civilization I guess would be more of a TBS (Turn-Based Stratagy)? I even liked a flight simulator once, though it was no ordinary flight sim: TIE Fighter. Then there are games who's genre I'm not sure of, like SimAnt and Escape Velocity.

By the way, I recently started playing Empire at War, and I recommend it to anyone that actually liked Galactic Core. It is pretty much Galactic Core 2 but with good graphics, no cultist taint, and of course, Starwars.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #5
Ha! SimAnt is the best. Seeing ants fry in the electric outlets was so awesome.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Or turning the silly messages on and then following the spider around. Or sneaking into the red ant nest, grabbing a pupa, and throwing it into a ant lion trap. Good times.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
Or eating your own pupa of you got really hungry. Or just picking up rocks and blocking the entrances to the red ant nest until they all starve. The red queen's death music was my favorite.

And lets not forget the random effect button.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
My taste tends to run to RPGs, then turn-based strategy, then real-time strategy, and then an eclectic mix of individual games in genres I usually avoid.

—Alorael, who avoids FPS for three reasons. Firstly, he's just never really liked them. Secondly, he's consequently fairly bad, which only reaffirms his dislike. Thirdly, he has no sense of direction in real or virtual 3D spaces. FPS games turn into him getting lost, going backwards, and giving up.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
I'm mainly a fan of RTS. Total Annihilation, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, and Rise of Nations all rank pretty highly on my list of favorite games. I'm not a big fan of FPS, though I'm an excellent player. I enjoy platformers, and innovative Breakout style and puzzle games usually garner my attention as well.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
Several more excellent, if old, RTS games: Lords of Magic and the Disciples Series. Warcraft (Not World of Warcraft) is all right, but there are better games out there.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Interestingly, although I can't stand RTS, some of my favourite RPGs are innovative real-time ones: Magician for NES, and the Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder series...

Although I haven't played any enough to be that great, I'm a big fan of the 1-on-1 fighting genre: mainly Super Smash Bros. and Street Fighter II.

At any given point I usually have one time-wasting puzzle game that I play altogether too much of. Past favourites have included Forty Thieves, Cat and Mouse, Dominoes, Bridges, Trees, and Minesweeper. But these are only technically video games.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
I grew up with SimCity, SimAnt, and the Myst series, so If I'm playing something other than SW games it's probably one of those.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Spokesmage of the Dead:

Several more excellent, if old, RTS games: Lords of Magic and the Disciples Series.
Agreed. Do you still play? We should see about having a match sometime.

:Edit: Did anyone here ever play DinoPark Tycoon?

:Edit2: Ooh, they have SimEarth on Theunderdogs.info

[ Saturday, April 28, 2007 13:33: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
Army men.

Magnifying glass.

Also HMM3.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #15
I like RPGs, especially those of Spidwebs. I also like strategy games like Age of Empires.

I play Maxis games every once in a while. They should resurrect SimAnt (you know, make it modern).

--------------------
WWJD?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #16
quote:
Andraste:
quote:Originally written by Spokesmage of the Dead:
Several more excellent, if old, RTS games: Lords of Magic and the Disciples Series.

Agreed. Do you still play? We should see about having a match sometime.
Sorry, but no. Nalyd has a Mac, and can't either of the games for anything but Windows. He played them through his friends PC.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #17
Hmmm… favorite genres?

Well, I think RPG goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway. With more detail than is necessary.
-D&D is awesome, no matter what anyone says
-Final Fantasy > all y'all
-Star Ocean 3 is fun, although infuriating
-Taskmaker is just plain addicting
-Mantra… very Zelda-esque, kinda short, but fun
-Realmz was a cool pastime, for a while, until…
-The Avernum games, which rock

Let's see… puzzle solving games are fun, even though I've never been much good at them. To name a few:
-Myst
-Lighthouse
-Inherit the Earth
-Space Quest 6
-Museum Madness

I kind of suck at combat and arcade games, but I'll play some here and there. MK: Armageddon is pretty cool, as is Soul Calibur 3.

I don't really like FPS's, and I suck at them. But I'll play Halo 1 or 2 if a bunch of other people are playing. I make good battle fodder.

Oh yeah, Andra: I played Dinopark Tycoon. At least until the demo expired, which is about a season. I was disappointed I couldn't go on, but not enough to actually buy it.

EDIT: Oh! Escape Velocity and successors are fun too. And has anyone else played Bolo?

EDIT2: Grammatical blah…

[ Saturday, April 28, 2007 21:59: Message edited by: Nemesis. ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #18
Adventure games, ala Ben Jordan: Paranormal Investigator are some of my favourites, as well as the Avernum RPG types. I also don't mind a little strategy, or if I'm just feeling blah, shoot-em-up's are great for numbing the mind

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
RPG, and really RPG only. Unless you count Myst separately, in which case "Adventure", too. I did like Strategy once, but somehow I just stopped playing those.

----

And again: Who the hell are you? No IP match - although the closest I get is Silver. To hell with Comcast. >_<

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #20
Whos who?

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #21
My favorite genre is TBS, including anything from Master of Magic and Master of Orion to Civilization 4.

I also like RPGs in the style of Spidweb games and Baldur's Gate. Simetimes I play MMORPGs, just to kill time. Those are the main 2.5 genres of games I like.

PS Aran, when will you finally learn that the more you boast about your moderator powers the more people will figure out ways around them.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

EDIT: Oh! Escape Velocity and successors are fun too. And has anyone else played Bolo?

EDIT2: Grammatical blah…

Bolo, was that the tank game? I think I had it on a Mac Cubed disk back in the day.

I play lotsa RPG's, RTS games, the occasional racer, some FPS games usually on xbox.

Final Fantasy I probably still holds as my favorite game of all time.

Almost forgot adventure, I cut my gaming teeth on stuff like the Journyman Project, Myst, Leisure Suit Larry (bad parents let me play that stuff), and those new Sam and Max games are down right fantastic.

[ Monday, April 30, 2007 18:45: Message edited by: macdude22 ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #23
Bolo... dear god. I never got into it much, but I think my buddies spent all of 6th grade shooting at each other over networked SEs and Classics.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #24
Mmm, a lot of interesting responses here, certainly a lot of them inspiring feelins of nostalgia.

Shooters aren't my main thing, that's for sure. One can only dodge bullets for so long before one's head begins reaching critical mass. I tend to enjoy RTSes a lot as well, but I am not one to avoid a good UT2k4 match as well.

Lately, C&C3 has been taking up a lot of my time.

--------------------
ni~pah

Pages