To players of Avernum/Geneforge series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To players of Avernum/Geneforge series
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

quote:
Originally written by 227 Chitrachballons:

That's your opinion, but there are plenty of people here who disagree.
So you and those 'plenty of people' would rather play Exile than Avernum. :confused: Please. About 40% of the regular people here have probably never even played Exile, :( let alone would choose it over Avernum.

As I said before, I still like and play Exile to this day, :D but let's be real. Most of the people who like/love Exile are still gonna choose Avernum because of the things listed above. Now tell me that's a lie! :cool:

And more than 40% of the people here are... um. Let's not go there.

But I notice a distinct drop in grammar whenever I poke my head in the GF forum. :(

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Aran:

But I notice a distinct drop in grammar whenever I poke my head in the GF forum. :(
That's why I never go there. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Exile is obsolete; it died along with Realmz and other RPGs of the time.
Geneforge is obsolete; it died along with Fallout and other RPGs of the time.

:rolleyes:

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 13:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #28
Does the name Solberg cause it's owner to be a giant bag of douche or vice-versa?
Add me to the people who prefer Exile to Avernum.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #29
Geneforge all the way. No contest. And it is not obsolete. Yet.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by 227 Chitrachballons:

I believe your point was slaughtered. Three people posted to say that Exile should have been in the poll, and four to say that they greatly prefer it to Avernum.
So that's 7 out of how many PEOPLE/HUMANS registered here? (not including the bot registered users and BANNED users)

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

And if you think most of Exile's spells are useless, you just don't know how to use them properly. Of all the spells in BoE, I can think of maybe two that I've never found any use for.
If you count BoE, then my point is false, but the post was calling for 'series', not including expansions. ;)

quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Noob.

:P

Who are you calling NOOB? Have you seen my member #? Just because I don't have hundreds or thousands of posts makes me a NOOB? Besides, when I said it I was making fun of Ash Lael's Member Sign. Did you even notice that? :confused: :mad: :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #31
25 people have voted in the poll. 10 people (including me) have posted saying that they prefer Exile.

So looks like Exile is winning over either of the official options. :P

As for my answers:

Q1. Exile graphics were made by professional artists. A4 graphics were made by a secretary (Jeff's wife) with a 3-D modelling program. I think the difference is pretty obvious.

Q2. I liked the skill system and dialoge engine from Avernum, so I'll go with that.

Q3. Exile is clear winner in this category. There are almost as many types of undead in Exile as there are total types of creations in Geneforge. And that's just one category of Exile monsters. Enough has been said about Exile's superior spell system, so I will not repeat it.

Q4. I can't really answer this question, because all 3 series were fun and I don't pay attention to such details.

Q5. Avernum/Geneforge are more polished, so I'll go with those.

Q6. All had their duds, but overall Geneforge is stronger in this department, because Gf3 is still better than A4.

Q7. It's hard to decide, because each of the 3 series has its srengths and weaknesses.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #32
7 people out the slightly over 7 who had posted in this topic at the time.

You are being a nincompoop, in addition to a noob.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #33
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

And if you think most of Exile's spells are useless, you just don't know how to use them properly. Of all the spells in BoE, I can think of maybe two that I've never found any use for.
If you count BoE, then my point is false, but the post was calling for 'series', not including expansions.

The Exile trilogy and BoE have THE SAME SPELLS!

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
Jeff did drop recharge after Exile 1. It was useful for loading wands back in town before going off to adventure. Still Exile 3 and BoE were essentially the same.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
quote:

Have you seen my member #?
*snicker*

Yeah, you are absolutely, 110% correct. No way could you be a no0b with a member number like that one. How on earth could I have made that mistake?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #36
THIS EDIT OF MY 350th POST USED TO CONTAIN ANGRY RANTS. THE '*' HAVE BEEN REMOVED. THE REGULARLY USED :cool: SIGN WILL BE REPLACED BY A :mad: SIGN.

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

25 people have voted in the poll. 10 people (including me) have posted saying that they prefer Exile.

So looks like Exile is winning over either of the official options. :P

Why...cause 10 people supporting Exile said they loved it more than Avernum. Get real. Do you really think Jeff is gonna make another Exile-like game? Heck NO!! Exile is outdated. Get over yourselves and move on. Just because the people who disagree with you are too SCARED to say so doesn't validate your point.

When you buy a new game from anywhere, do you by an Exile-like type game or do you buy an Avernum-like type game?

Besides, I've noticed for all the 'love' that you have for the Exile Trilogy, that the forum seems to be a little empty, why is that? Alcritas came back about 7 people that replied to his "Boo" didn't even know who he was!

As I've said before and will continue to say again, I like to play Exile. Even to this day, sometimes. But you've got to be realistic, Exile is outdated and games like Avernum and Geneforge are the games of today. That's just the way it is! So please spare the drama

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

No Kidding! You don't say. If you REALLY read what I said, I was talking about how the poll wouldn't include Blades of Exile just the Exile series (or Trilogy). Avernum was included in the poll, but Blades of Avernum wasn't...get the point.

quote:

How on earth could I have made that mistake?
THIS ANGRY RANT WAS REMOVED! I'm sorry I let my anger get away from me. I'm sorry. :o

[ Monday, March 26, 2007 11:39: Message edited by: Arch-Mage Solberg ]

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

But you've got to be realistic, Exile is outdated and games like Avernum and Geneforge are the games of today. That's just the way it is! So please spare the drama
Avernum and Geneforge, as I've already pointed out above, are the games of about 10 years ago. SW makes retro games; that's their appeal. We're just a little more retro than you are. As for drama, the only person being dramatic here is you.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #38
Solberg, cool down a little. I am not sure why you chose this topic for release of your anger, but video game preferences sound like a strange thing to get so worked up about. You prefer Avernum. Some people prefer Exile. Some people prefer TES Oblivion. While you could argue all you want about whose taste is more refined, such an argument always goes in circles, as we can see in this thread. (And most fans of Oblivion ( http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm ) would laugh at you as much as you laugh at Exile fans.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #39
quote:

WHAT WERE YOU DOING?
Playing Exile 3.

--------------------
quote:

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
You are not helping the situation any, Salmon.

Dikiyoba.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

You are not helping the situation any
Actually, I'm not changing the situation, which I think is what is expected. Instead I chose to make a point, calmly and rationally. What would have been not helpful would be a comment like this.

quote:
Never written by Stunted Salmon:
Likely paying the taxes that kept you underwater all that time. Did you enjoy the experience?

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #42
I appologize for losing my cool, I don't usually do that. When the talk was about the games I was calm yet firm. But when I made a little joke about Ash Lael's tag and Salmon called me a NOOB...that is what set me off!

I want to appologize to anyone that was offended by the rant and will edit it to suit the needs of the board. I like all the games that Spiderweb makes. I'm a firm follower of Spiderweb Software.

I'm gonna issue another appology on Hawkwind's post too just in case everyone doesn't read it here. Again, my sincere appologies. :(

Oh and Salmon, you might've had to help pay my salary with your taxes...but I had to pay taxes too!

[ Monday, March 26, 2007 11:32: Message edited by: Arch-Mage Solberg ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #43
quote:

quote:

Oh, and by the way...E=MC? ?=Squared
I just had to say that!

Noob.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, the sticking-out-tongue emoticon is present, indicating that a joke has been made. Joke. Fun. Ha Ha.

:D

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #44
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, and by the way...E=MC? ?=Squared
I just had to say that!

Noob.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, the sticking-out-tongue emoticon is present, indicating that a joke has been made. Joke. Fun. Ha Ha.

:D

In hindsight, now I see clearly :o , but in the context of what was happening, I never really paid much attention to the graemlin :confused: . I owe you a huge appology Salmon. I believe I will still about this from the higher-ups. :(

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #45
By Tyranicus
quote:
It sounds to me like you've never played the trilogy. Many of the spells were the same, yes, but some were replaced. For example, Exile was the only game with a recharge wand spell.

--------------------
WWJD?
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #46
quote:

By Tyranicus
quote:
It sounds to me like you've never played the trilogy. Many of the spells were the same, yes, but some were replaced. For example, Exile was the only game with a recharge wand spell.

You might wanna look at who you're talking to. I'm pretty sure he was talking about most of the spells since about 95% ARE the same!

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
E1 has a noticeably different list of spells and a very different set of costs for them. E2, E3, and BoE have identical or very close to identical spells.

—Alorael, who agrees that the Exiles are much prettier than Avernum, or at least that they managed it by the time E3 rolled around. He's not true that's still true for Geneforge, but he also thinks the Avernum engine has the prettiest terrain to go with its ugly monsters.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

For example, Exile was the only game with a recharge wand spell.
Man, I loved that spell.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #49
All of you, drop the hostility.

A lot of members have strong preferences for Exile, especially Blades of Exile, even though the Avernum series exists. I, myself, prefer some of the mechanics of Exile, as well as the excellent graphics work it has in both Spiderweb's own graphics set and the custom graphics available for Blades of Exile.

The Exile series may not really have an active community any more, but almost all of the older members have fond memories of it. I was sad that this poll did not have options for it, because that is likely to adversely affect the results your poll is going to get.

Pages