Epitaph

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Epitaph
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #0
Here come a few things I'd like to say, because Alec's topic got me thinking.
I have been lurking these forums since 2002, which gives me an outside perspective of things.
And my opinion is that the discussions here are getting more uninteresting by the day.
Theres been quiet some time since I heard an intelligent debate and even the flames are more dull than usual.
Perhaps it is just that I have grown, maybe it's always been like that.
It just that it's like the boards are now like Geneforge 3, same old story, different names.
Once it was fresh, like the Exile games.

Most of the old posters are gone, and even if I did not have an account and therefore just lurked I feel a part of that group unlike the current one, even if it's also made up of the lower numbers.

Ok, now I have written my longest post ever, and I think I shall make it my last. I've never really been Frolicking In Postland, as such, during my time here, but I shall really miss this place. better to leave now, while I still have good memories,than later, when they have been buried under all the crap.
Well anyway it used to be fun to drop in and see what was going on in this little community, which is somehow so disconnected from the reality of my life.I have not contributed much here but you have given me much more than you know.
Goodbye, Spidweb.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 15:24: Message edited by: Clam ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
(salutes)

Best of luck in the real world.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
Huh.

*looks at watch*

I guess it is that time of the month again.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I disagree that you have an "outside perspectives", but now is probably not the time or place, so forget it.

So long, farewell, and good luck. Dikiyoba will miss seeing you on the list of recent visitors.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #4
Interesting... Now what we really need is for the spammers to be the ones that pick up and leave. What? Why is everyone looking at me?

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #5
This isn't good. The Lurkers are always the first to go. Followed by the Newbies, and then the MidAgedbies, and finally the Oldbies. In short, it's the beggining of the end. Oh yeah, goodbye and stuff, your sanity wouln't be were you left it.

--------------------
All praise the greatest mod of all time! Long live Master Aran!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
It's ironic to see a goodbye thread from a person whose only notable contribution was making fun of the trend of postcount celebrations.

I have a strong suspicion that this "lurker" is actually an alternate account of some bitter oldbie (I've never seen such high ratio of sarcastic posts from real lurkers), but either way, you need to make a meaningful contribution to the community before you can expect people to care about your grand anouncement of departure.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 16:29: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

I have a strong suspicion that this "lurker" is actually an alternate account of some bitter oldbie (I've never seen such high ratio of sarcastic posts from real lurkers)
Projec][ion comes pretty close, but I have my suspicions about him too.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Returnedking:

This isn't good. The Lurkers are always the first to go. Followed by the Newbies, and then the MidAgedbies, and finally the Oldbies. In short, it's the beggining of the end. Oh yeah, goodbye and stuff, your sanity wouln't be were you left it.
Always? On what basis do you make this claim? In my also admittedly limited experience, boards can die in a number of ways and the way you described applies mostly to boards with no obvious purpose to sustain them. As long as Jeff keeps making games these boards will keep getting newbies.

The oldbies could start leaving and then down the chain, killing Spiderweb as we know it but leaving whatever newbies make, but that wouldn't really be so disastrous.

—Alorael, who apologizes for the unnecessarily explanatory moment and wishes Clam a farewell that would be more fond if he had done anything of note with his time on Spiderweb. Best of luck elsewhere on the internet.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #9
I really hope that the boards do not die. I enjoy them, and although I have other things I could be doing I like to spend my time here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #10
The Boards have been getting rather eccentric though, as time has progressed. Like the gastrointestinal system of a feral cat.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 18:14: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
Good bye

With 2 new games still to come this year I really doubt that the Boards will die. Just more noise to signal until Nethergate.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #12
These boards won't die. (cough)
The good newbies, posibly me, have been buryed under dumb newbies (for example, Mr. Poser)
(achoo)
Many oldbies are still here, we just have to get rid of the bad newbies. These boards will get back, sort of anyway.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #13
Lets hear it for the rise of the Naughty Newbies. Only under their vacuous naivety can thse boards be truly resurrected and lifted beyond the glorious heights of yore.

Lurkers be damned. They fail to contribute.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
My sneaking suspicion is that these boards are always the same, but the SW-type conversation seems fresh and new to people who are new to it and starts seeming stale and old to people who have been here for a while.

The boards get less interesting to people, but I think they get less interesting simply because reading the same sorts of things over and over again gets less interesting, not because the stuff itself changes at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
quote:

My sneaking suspicion is that these boards are always the same, but the SW-type conversation seems fresh and new to people who are new to it and starts seeming stale and old to people who have been here for a while.

The boards get less interesting to people, but I think they get less interesting simply because reading the same sorts of things over and over again gets less interesting, not because the stuff itself changes at all.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one...

:rolleyes:

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
The "The boards are not any worse" theme is quite familiar, I realize. The "That's why they're increasingly boring" one is not as much.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

Agreed.

And…

Farewell, Clam. We didn't see much of you, but I guess you saw plenty of us. :eek: On that note, enjoy your time elsewhere.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge