Why?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why?
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #0
Why did you choose your displayed name for these boards? Besides being Nalyd's real name backwards, Nalyd(NUH-lid) has a faintly Arabian sound to it that Nalyd loves. Plus Nalyd has very low self-esteem.

[ Monday, February 05, 2007 14:05: Message edited by: The Absolute Value of Nalyd is Zero ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
Well first It had to have muffin in it.
Second, I was thinking Undead Muffin, but then that one dude would hate me
quote:
I hate undead. I really really really really hate undead. With a passion
Thus I chose what I have now. :)

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
Out of curiosity, what precisely does "flamming" mean?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
IT MEANS I AM ON FIRE! :mad:

--------------------

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
It does not mean that.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
To clarify, "flaming" would mean you were on fire (or, colloquially, camp as a row of tents). However, "flamming" is a word unknown to me.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #6
Well what does it mean huh
(besides, you all know what I mean)

IQ-118
Edit- I spelled it incorectly?

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 14:27: Message edited by: Infernal Flamming Muffin ]

--------------------

quote:
Originaly by Alorael
Okay, he's not that bad!

Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #7
All aspects were Nerdy... It is the typical name of my charector in any game (D&D, Geneforge, whatever). Its a combination of Cirion, the Ruling Steward of Gondor during the time of Eorl the Young, and Actaeon, an unfortunate hunter in the greek myths, who was transformed into a deer by Artemis. I now will now pause for the mockery.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Yay4Tolkien.

--

I made up my name ("Arancaytar") as a sort of fantasy hero/alter ego when I was 14 or so. I first used it as a forum name in April 2003, and only really started to identify with it around summer.

Concerning etymology, the only meanings I came up with were invented after the fact. The first one was something like "First Wandering Keeper" in a self-concocted lingo; I noticed other meanings in other languages. In an elvish language called Styrash (from Santharia), it could be translated as "Wandering Mountain Village" or, more sanely, "One who goes to the mountain village". In Novah, it means "Rippling Plane Jewel" or something similar.

Someone once told me it means "King of Lies" in Quenya, and they've got something there, although it's not quite right: "aran" is indeed king, and "caita" is a verb that means "to lie" - but as in "to lie in darkness" (caita mornie), not "to tell falsehoods". So it might be "the Reclining King" or "the Located King".

Someone else said it indicated my role in a hidden Nazi conspiracy because it contained the word "Aryan".

Yet someone else accused me of being an Aaron Carter fanboy. His liver was very tasty with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

---

Before I used it, amazingly, I didn't have any primary online name. I either called myself Chris (or even by my full name) or some LotR character (usually Sméagol or Aragorn). I still have an email address registered to one "elven-mage", incidentally. Um.

---

Current handle? When it comes to RPGs, I identify with the caster, and most of my RP characters are wizards. Plus, I'm a technomancer. Just ask around. :)

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 14:58: Message edited by: The Sorcerer ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
Someone else said it indicated my role in a hidden Nazi conspiracy because it contained the word "Aryan".
You are far too outspoken to be involved in any hidden conspiracy. :P

As for my name, it's an acronym that I invented in 5th grade (so when I was 10 or 11) then stopped using until a few years ago. In the intervening time, I forgot what it meant (though whether I simply forgot it or actively surpressed it is debatable). All I remember is that the first two letters stand for dinosaur.

Recently, Dikiyoba discovered a need for a last name and thus chose Nies, off a character in one of Dikiyoba's older stories.

Edit: Typo.

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 15:17: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by The Absolute Value of Nalyd is Zero:

Why did you choose your displayed name for these boards? Besides being Nalyd's real name backwards, Nalyd(NUH-lid) has a faintly Arabian sound to it that Nalyd loves.
We already have one insipid third-person gimmick, and that is taken by our dear friend Dikiyoba!

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
Imban \Im*ban"\, v. t.
To put under a ban. [R.] --Barlow.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I have an oral fixation and I am an inveterate drunkard. Oral ale sounds funny, though, so I anagrammed it into Alorael. Or, if you prefer another story, my moniker is a needlessly complex combination of questionable internet kabbalah and Hebrew that could be translated as "Angel of Protection."

The real story is that I needed a fantasy moniker for fantasy forums, banged on the keyboard, and then inserted and removed letters to taste to an extent that made the original banging largely pointless.

—Alorael, who thinks he cornered the third-person gimmick long before anyone else on Spiderweb. He also feels a need to take a moment to point out that "flamming" is indeed mispelled, although it's quite charming. Lastly, there's no need to flaunt an IQ. A certain member who shall remain nameless is uncomfortable enough with his IQ of 97 that he already defends himself by hiding behind gimmicky third-person signatures.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Upon a fallen pillar walking:

The real story is that I needed a fantasy moniker for fantasy forums, banged on the keyboard, and then inserted and removed letters to taste to an extent that made the original banging largely pointless.
That's the same way I get most of my fantasy names. And they're my names, so NO TOUCHY. If you're really, REALLY good at searching, you could find all five of the ones I keep. Or you can just ask.

And 'Tempest' is one of my favorite songs to play on the viola, and I liked how 'Zephyr' sounded. Or maybe I can just be Iethloc from now on...

And for Dikiyoba - DInosaurs KIdnapped YOur BAboon? I've seen that somewhere.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Scorpius:
quote:
We already have one insipid third-person gimmick, and that is taken by our dear friend Dikiyoba!
This has been said before. You just came back, though, so Nalyd will ignore it.

Nalyd, who does not know his own IQ. That's probably indicative of it, though. ;)

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Originally by Zephyr Tempest:

quote:
And for Dikiyoba - DInosaurs KIdnapped YOur BAboon? I've seen that somewhere.
Yeah, but that's a backronym.

And Dikiyoba always liked the irony of your name being a combination of a gentle breeze and violent storm.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
Nioca came pretty much out of the blue. I mainly wanted something that sounded in line with the Avernum theme. I think I succeeded...

Anyway, before spiderweb, I usually went by either Firecat or Freecat.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Apprentice
Member # 7887
Profile #17
I am a hologram cast by a stereopticon.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #18
I just changed the name Khryk to Kyrek. I liked his name, but I didn't want that name so I played around with it for a little and came up with Kyrek.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #19
It popped into my head one day when i was trying to come up with a name for my character in an RPG. I've been using it everywhere ever since.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

IQ-118

IQ is not a valid measurement of intelligence, and trying to lord it over people is a good indicator you're not as smart as you think you are.

You've got some growing to do, kid. People are a lot more patient with you if you aren't arrogant or defensive.

My name comes from a splendid work of historical inquiry which unveils the treachery of the hated Jew.

(Note to self: update Pseudohistory.)

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 19:24: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

quote:

IQ-118

IQ is not a valid measurement of intelligence, and trying to lord it over people is a good indicator you're not as smart as you think you are.

Not to mention that there are people here who have higher intelligence quotients than that.

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 19:30: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #22
Actually, if you put store in such things... From what I've seen, I would not be at all suprised to discover that the Spiderweb Software forums have a higher percentage of high IQ individuals than most other places on the internet. Conversation seems intellegent, conventions well met, and most points are backed up with an impressive amount of fact and knowledge. Too bad about the insanity that seems to accompany all of that.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

quote:

IQ-118

Not to mention that there are people here who have higher intelligence quotients than that.

*chortle*

quote:
Originally written by Cirion Actaeon:

Actually, if you put store in such things... From what I've seen, I would not be at all suprised to discover that the Spiderweb Software forums have a higher percentage of high IQ individuals than most other places on the internet. Conversation seems intellegent, conventions well met, and most points are backed up with an impressive amount of fact and knowledge. Too bad about the insanity that seems to accompany all of that.
SW is also unusually white and male even for internet communities, which trends IQ upwards.

Because IQ tests are biased to the point of uselessness.

[ Sunday, February 04, 2007 19:50: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

It popped into my head one day when i was trying to come up with a name for my character in an RPG. I've been using it everywhere ever since.
Same here. It just happens to be the name of a Turkish city where camel wrestling takes place, though.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.

Pages