American - Canadian Relationships

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: American - Canadian Relationships
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
This poll is pretty much only for Americans or Canadians.

I was wondering what you guys think the course our relationship is taking, and the course it will take. I am Canadian, and I think that currently our relationship is worsening, mostly thaks to George Bush. Currently, many ignorant Canadians think all Americans are like George Bush and tend to think badly of Amercans. I don't think that way, and only think that George Bush is an idiot, not the rest of Americans. Our government knows that most people dislike Bush and therefore does not often follow suit with the Americans.

What do YOU think?

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 03:39: Message edited by: Kyrek ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=JqoRdIgFfCnm"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=JqoRdIgFfCnm"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #1
Canada. . . Hmmm. . . No opinion, really. Indifferent, although "War with Canada" was one of Nalyd's gimmicks in the early testing days.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
Well, it's not so much America's relationship with Canada is deteriorating as it is America's relationship with the world. :P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Worsen greatly. America is abusing its status as a superpower, and it'll end up suffering in the long run.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
All I know is that every time we've tried to conquer Canada, it has gone poorly for us. Most Canadians live within a four-day march from the border.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
Meh, so a couple of people in Canada want to cry about how America is running things. 'Relations' have stayed the same, reguardless. They will only continue to get better.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #6
You know, they may not like us, (and I can't say that I blame them), but that doesn't stop them from doing all their shopping here. :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I don't know about political relations, but I can assure you that my personal relationship with Canada is at an all-time high. I need somewhere to run to when Christianity becomes mandatory in the U. S. of A.

—Alorael, who expects Canada's power to grow as the world's population does. Canada has a whole lot of a resource that will become critical very shortly: space. People need space, and Canada has lots of it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #8
In all seriousness, can you imagine what it would be like to be at war with Canada? You guys think gas prices are high now... :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Based soley on the Canadian's post, Canadians seem to have difficulty with typing and spelling. It's not even like they can use the "not a native English speaker" gambit so often employed by people of lesser nations. Our President may be an idiot, and that's all I have to say on the matter.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
Canada, eh? What aboot it?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #11
Sorry......

I'm bad at typing and I didn't notice the spelling mistakes. Also, I was accidentally using the French-Canadien keyboard.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #12
Harper tends to a more "American" view of politics and economy. On that basis, there is some improvement. Meh, it improved under Mulroney, declined under various liberal regimes that followed and improved with Harper.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #13
Popular opinion is low, but on the official level it's getting higher. A better relationship with the States is one of Harper's priorities, as is fixing some long-running trade disputes (I'm a softwood lumberjack and I'm okay!). The Arar situation caused a nosedive in popular opinion. Other than that, the only major thing I can think of is increased American border patrols, but that doesn't affect me as much as people living closer to the border.

In any case, anything is better than the Bush-Chretien days.

--------------------
Oppose Canada, or this terrorist wins!
IMAGE(http://images.indymedia.org/imc/santacruz/image/6/arar_maher.jpg)
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

In any case, anything is better than the Bush-Chretien days.

Hear! hear! By the way, did you know that Jean Chretien's nickname while in office was "John Cretin?" I heard that so many times it was insane.

The US has deteriorated its relationships throughout the world. I believe that the rest of the world may be represented as a ticking bomb in the US' basement. With an unknown but rapidly shortening countdown.

Or, perhaps their very way of life will drag them down, as it did the Romans.

And as a Canadian myself, I can truthfully state that Mr. Bush is not very popular over here either.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 16:06: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #15
Personally, I say Steven Harper is an idiot. No offense meant, but until George Bush gets kicked out, increasing our relationship with the U.S. is not good, because then we'll be doing the same thing he is. Also, my friend, who was a die-hard Harper fan, but now greatly dislikes him.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 17:41: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #16
TerrorsMartyr is the only Canadian I know. So based off of him, I'd say things definitely don't look good. Maybe it's his fault there are two angry faces arguing in the Candian flag:

Canadian Flag:
IMAGE(http://cawley.typepad.com/blog/Canada%20Flag-1.jpg)

Canadian Flag with one of the two faces highlighted:

IMAGE(http://x26.xanga.com/38cd2434d6c32101876087/w71829466.jpg)

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 20:05: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Robinator is a Beefcake:

TerrorsMartyr is the only Canadian I know. So based off of him, I'd say things definitely don't look good. Maybe it's his fault there are two angry faces arguing in the Candaian flag.
You [i]do[/i] know that TM is not actually a Nova Scotian cabbage farmer, right? :P

Also, I'm inclined to think that those angry face are the French Canadians and English-speaking Canadians.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 20:57: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Yes, TM is not Canadian.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
I thought so. Any way I hope relations worsen. The worst thing we can do is get closer. George Bush is an idiot. Well people voted for him didn't they. The government is the people really. I'm all for a wall between the two nations.
Jean Chretien had some venom at the end of his term, enough to think for himself.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 21:37: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
Wishes, though. To be sure. (EDIT: In response to Slarty)

The US agrees to make every effort possible to improve relations immediately if Canada will allow Teh Robinator to go at its flag with a sharpie.

Seriously, though, people on both sides of the border need to back off on the idiocy, the arrogance in particular. Someone here mentioned "minute men" watching the Canadian border and calling in to report Canadians crossing the border. Come on, people. Find something better to do with your time. On the other side of the coin, the general disdain for Americans both individually and as a whole from some Canadians is palpable. Most of those I've met say they only hate the government, not the people, but you have your fair share of both. Honestly, though, I can deal with that if both governments can get their acts together and devise some system of dealing with foreign travelers and immigrants in a way that both are comfortable with and loosen up the border, because seriously, traffic can get ridiculous.

[ Wednesday, January 17, 2007 21:47: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

I'm all for a wall between the two nations.
A literal wall? An excellent idea. This way draftees would have nowhere to run.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Facepalming Hecatonchire:

Yes, TM is not Canadian.
I thought Wisconsin was a province.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #23
To be honest, I wasn't aware a substantial number of Americans had any negative feelings about Canada whatsoever. I'm under the impression that liberals like it because it isn't run by Bush and is an easy option for draft-dodging, and conservatives like it because they think it's more civilized than Mexico.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #24
There've been various half-serious proposals for union with Canada over the years, and they're basically wrongheaded. The right direction is south.

Los Estandos Unidos de Nortamerica is a good and moral idea. After all, if we're gonna be screwing 'em, they might as well be getting alimony for it.

Pages