Happy Thanksgiving Day

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Thanksgiving Day
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
Happy to Thanksgiving Day to all the Spiderwebbers. Where we give thanks to the survival of the Pilgrims making it to the New World with the help of friendly Native American Indians. These Indians became the first of our allies to find out what happens when they are no longer helpful.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! Interestingly enough, no one would associate Thanksgiving with the Native Americans were it not for the first one in Jamestown with the helpful native Squanto. Such a day was celebrated in many different countries and cultures simply as a day for giving thanks for having a successful harvest.

Now we honor the horribly wronged indigenous peoples by naming our sports teams after them. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
:confused: ... oh, right.

It'd be funny if we had Thanksgiving in late November up here. Right now, there's half a metre of snow outside.

--------------------
Bluff, Bluff, Bluff, Bluff the Stupid Ogre!
- Elan (OotS #4)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
I would like to thank the Native Americans for syphilis and hot pocahontas costumes. The two go together like mashed potatoes and gravy!

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I would like to thank the Native Americans for syphilis and hot Pocahontas costumes. The two go together like mashed potatoes and gravy!
That is a myth. There are recorded cases of syphilis in Europe prior to the discovery of the Americas.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #5
[QUOTE]Originally written by Dintiradan:

It'd be funny if we had Thanksgiving in late November up here. Right now, there's half a metre of snow outside.

--------------------

I would say its timing is odd even here. Late November is essentially winter in most of the world, certainly in Colorado. Snow is commonplace.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Jamestown? Thanksgiving is from Massachussetts, not Virginia.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
Must be a revisionist historian. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I would like to thank the Native Americans for syphilis and hot Pocahontas costumes. The two go together like mashed potatoes and gravy!
That is a myth. There are recorded cases of syphilis in Europe prior to the discovery of the Americas.

I've heard something to the effect that the Americas were home to a particularly virulent strain of syphilis, though. I'm sure if it's true or not.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
*checks*

Meh, apparently there is debate. I find the theory that Kelandon mentioned the most convincing.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
Whoops, I meant the Pilgrims at Plymouth, I think. But anyway I noticed on Wikipedia that the first official Thanksgiving celebration was in Virginia.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #11
There's always the named celebration and then there's the actual first occurrence before the tradition. Either way, it's a trivial detail.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'm sure if it's true or not.
If you're so sure, why not enlighten the rest of us? :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
Hooray for binging on turkey and stuffing!

Personally, I ran a 5k this morning (against my better judgement), so I can't wait for that good ol' tryptophan, whether or not it actually induces drowsiness.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Ignore the Pilgrims and Native Americans and take the holiday for its spirit, not its background.

—Alorael, who is thankful for antibiotics. Just because they've been around for a while and have gone from miracle medicine to overprescribed placebo for coughs and colds doesn't make them any less wonderful.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
I also ran a 5k this morning ... old HS track tradition too, Ephesos? I think we went as far back as '81.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #16
Thanksgiving was a harvest festival to give thanks for blessings and good times, not to commemorate a particular instance of white people manifest destiny-ing the Indians to death.

We've got to take at least a little time today out of our hectic lives to stop whining and count our blessings. The fact that we all live in places and have enough wealth to have computers and access the internet is something to give thanks for, and I'd say the same for most of Jeff's games as well.

--------------------
====
====
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I also ran a 5k this morning ... old HS track tradition too, Ephesos? I think we went as far back as '81.
I didn't run a 5k this morning, but I did run my first marathon ever in Phily on Sunday. Yeehaw! 3:52:45
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #18
Sigh. Another seemingly innocent topic, going to war.

-X- ran no race. He played "Day of the Dead" outside with his cousins for three hours straight, but no race.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Personally, I ran a 5k this morning (against my better judgement), so I can't wait for that good ol' tryptophan, whether or not it actually induces drowsiness.
It does, but the amount in turkey is so small that it has no effect on you. The drowsiness people feel after eating Thanksgiving dinner has more to do with gorging on starches (potatoes, filling, etc.) than anything else.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Nope... no school affiliation. Just running.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

Sigh. Another seemingly innocent topic, going to war.
Um... war?

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

It does, but the amount in turkey is so small that it has no effect on you.
The amount is even smaller if you have a ham instead. :D

I didn't really do anything special today... No marathons, at least. Oh, and to round off the day, I had a celebratory migraine!

What I'm thankful for: migraine relief pills.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Cirion Actaeon:

Late November is essentially winter in most of the world...
1 out of 2 hemispheres. That's half, not most.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Cirion Actaeon:

Late November is essentially winter in most of the world...
1 out of 2 hemispheres. That's half, not most.

Not to mention the fact that even in the northern hemisphere, we're still a month away from winter. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
Hooray for binging on turkey and stuffing!
You know, I don't think I've ever done that. I always end up binging on the appetizers and on the desserts, but never on the meal itself.

It was a good Thanksgiving for Dikiyoba. Dikiyoba didn't have to sit at the kids' table this year. That's something Dikiyoba was thankful for.

Pages